The Rock/Metal thread......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Was just about to ask this before I saw your post.
Good to hear - I'm listening now, although not paying full attention, and it sounds good. I need to give it a proper listen a few times but it sounds promising.

There's a couple on there that I haven't warmed to yet, but for me that's usually the case with their albums.

Sultan's Curse, Show Yourself and Scorpion Breath are the stand outs for me at the moment.

There's a couple on there that I haven't warmed to yet, but for me that's usually the case with their albums.

Sultan's Curse, Show Yourself and Scorpion Breath are the stand outs for me at the moment.
Sultan's Curse, Roots Remain and Jaguar God were my initial standouts.

Thats the trouble with Yngwie. BB King and a lot of the older blues men would have only played 20 notes in that piece to Yngwie`s 30`000 and still sounded ten times more soulfull
He always comes across as slightly comedic to me. Like he's parodying "virtuoso" guitarists. I'm always waiting for him to burst out laughing.

He always comes across as slightly comedic to me. Like he's parodying "virtuoso" guitarists. I'm always waiting for him to burst out laughing.
The size of him these days I`m just waiting for him to burst full stop!! :lol:
Don`t get me wrong his neoclassical stuff is good and works on his own Albums - Trilogy, Odyssey etc but makes him shite for other styles

Don`t get me wrong his neoclassical stuff is good and works on his own Albums - Trilogy, Odyssey etc but makes him shite for other styles
The problem with Yngwie is that he just doesn`t know when to ease off. We all know he can play stunningly fast in a very classical way. He is a brilliant technical player but on a song like Dreaming on Odyssey, it was just screaming out for a nice, tasteful laid back acoustic solo to go with the song but he just blurted out a 100mph solo like on the rest of the record.

The problem, of course, is that niche playing (essentially Paginini for guitar and harmonic minor-saturated lines) leaves you no where else to go. Especially when there is no soul...no space. Once he plays the first solo and your jaw drops...the rest kind of blurs over you.

(Which is what mickb2112 just said better than me!!)

The 'Dream On' cover by Yngwie and Dio is canny. Yngwie made me practice a lot, when you watch his picking hand it's unbelievable - it hardly moves. Anyone on this thread who plays guitar you should watch Troy Grady's 'Cracking the Code' series on YouTube, he basically deconstructs the playing styles of different players including Yngwie.

That's why I like him. He just generally comes across like couldn't care less and is only playing to amuse himself. So there is actually atleast a certain joy to his playing unlike the 'virtuosos' who are technically perfect but clinical and completely joyless to the point it's actually unbearable to listen to. His whole persona is undoubtedly completely absurd, but I would take Yngwie over Vai, Petrucci and co any day of the week.

The problem with Yngwie is that he just doesn`t know when to ease off. We all know he can play stunningly fast in a very classical way. He is a brilliant technical player but on a song like Dreaming on Odyssey, it was just screaming out for a nice, tasteful laid back acoustic solo to go with the song but he just blurted out a 100mph solo like on the rest of the record.
Incidentally, there's actually some quite nice acoustic stuff on his Spellbound album which I was listening to earlier. I completely take your point, but for whatever inexplicable reasons and as deliberately tacky as he may be, I still think he's great.

Last edited:
The problem, of course, is that niche playing (essentially Paginini for guitar and harmonic minor-saturated lines) leaves you no where else to go. Especially when there is no soul...no space. Once he plays the first solo and your jaw drops...the rest kind of blurs over you.

(Which is what mickb2112 just said better than me!!)
Totally agree. I could never understand the Thrash bands in the 80`s playing everything so fast as it just turned into a blur and became monotonous. Slow down every now and then and it made the fast stuff sound more impressive. Metallica got it right, even by the second album with fade To Black where this more laid back approach made Fight Fire With Fire seem even more brutal.

That's why I like him. He just generally comes across like couldn't care less and is only playing to amuse himself. So there is actually atleast a certain joy to his playing unlike the 'virtuosos' who are technically perfect but clinical and completely joyless to the point it's actually unbearable to listen to. His whole persona is undoubtedly completely absurd, but I would take Yngwie over Vai, Petrucci and co any day of the week.

Incidentally, there's actually some quite nice acoustic stuff on his Spellbound album which I was listening to earlier. I completely take your point, but for whatever inexplicable reasons and as deliberately tacky as he may be, I still think he's great.
I remember hearing Black Star and Little savage from his first album when it first came out and was stunned. I played it down the phone to a guitarist friend of mine. Strangely enough I was more impressed by the singer on the couple of tracks he performed on and even more so on the second album. Jeff Scott Soto was the best "new" singer I`d ever heard who could compete with my favourite singers from the `70`s. I saw Soto at The Cluny a few weeks ago and that fantastic voice is very much still intact.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I could never understand the Thrash bands in the 80`s playing everything so fast as it just turned into a blur and became monotonous. Slow down every now and then and it made the fast stuff sound more impressive. Metallica got it right, even by the second album with fade To Black where this more laid back approach made Fight Fire With Fire seem even more brutal.

I remember hearing Black Star and Little savage from his first album when it first came out and was stunned. I played it down the phone to a guitarist friend of mine. Strangely enough I was more impressed by the singer on the couple of tracks he performed on and even more so on the second album. Jeff Scott Soto was the best "new" singer I`d ever heard who could compete with my favourite singers from the `70`s. I saw Soto at The Cluny a few weeks ago and that fantastic voice is very much still intact.
Probably no surprise to anyone listening to that that he toured as Journey's frontman for a time.

Probably no surprise to anyone listening to that that he toured as Journey's frontman for a time.
saw him twice at the City hall. An excellent fit for the band. Should have recorded new music with him. He learned their set in 24 hours when they called him up to replace Steve Augeri who`s voice had gone.
He`s a very, very versatile singer who can do everything from Soul to Metal, melodic Rock to Funk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back