Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you're through it and never end up back there. The view I put forward was given by someone very close to me who made a few unsuccessful attempts and of course won't be true for everyone. As you say it's a horrible place to be and not something that should be judged in terms of bravery or selfishness
I hope that I am now. It was over two years ago and the black dog has not been around me. It took therapy and leaving a job I was in for 23 years. I moved onto something else and got really lucky as I love it. There was a comment on here about how a person might look back and see themself. It's sadness. You know that was not really you, but you were in a fog. You look back and look at where you were, and then here and now, and think here is a second chance. Ball is in my court to take it.

Had a female stand in front of me at 70 mph. Had her back to me and was stood just off a level crossing. As I saw it was a person I put the emergency brake on and had the high tone on the horn. About 50m away she turned and looked at me then turned her back again. I've gone thru the emotions of anger hate feeling sorry for her wondering why etc etc etc etc. The only thing I've come to terms with is that if someone isn't bothered about their life they certainly aren't bothered about the lives it affects. I still see her face at the most inappropriate time and I have to take a few breaths and calm myself.

You might be very surprised at the amount of men and women who I have sat with who are very sound of mind and who are very consciously for a variety of reasons deciding that they want to die. Obviously my job is to help them choose life. I haven't lost anyone yet.
What's your job?

As a current Samaritans volunteer, I can say that my experience is that people are suicidal for myriad reasons and they rarely come across as selfish or brave. Suicide just is what it is. Some people have lives that are just too hard for them to live through.

Last edited:
I hope that I am now. It was over two years ago and the black dog has not been around me. It took therapy and leaving a job I was in for 23 years. I moved onto something else and got really lucky as I love it. There was a comment on here about how a person might look back and see themself. It's sadness. You know that was not really you, but you were in a fog. You look back and look at where you were, and then here and now, and think here is a second chance. Ball is in my court to take it.

I reckon plenty underestimate the impact being stuck in a job you hate has on someone.

I previously worked for an organisation that helped support people experiencing distress, including suicidal feelings, and it's usually far more complex than that.

Indeed. Was more as a counter or balance as you often hear people say its cowardly or selfish.

Last edited:
Horrible place that people must be in to even contemplate taking there own lives. Deal with this type of thing on a daily basis and find some are just cry for attention as they are still here years after threats to do it, However have seen it done when least expected and the devastation it leaves behind ..... So really cant decide if its brave or not really as I get its also a very selfish thing to do.

Horrible place that people must be in to even contemplate taking there own lives. Deal with this type of thing on a daily basis and find some are just cry for attention as they are still here years after threats to do it, However have seen it done when least expected and the devastation it leaves behind ..... So really cant decide if its brave or not really as I get its also a very selfish thing to do.

that is where most of us stand really, but I don't think it is as simple as that

I had a workmate, who committed suicide by hanging himself from his loft.
was he brave. he certainly was as he knew his actions would end his life and no longer see the family he loved.
was he selfish. yes he was, because he left a young family behind who loved him and also knew that because of what he and where he did it, those that loved him, would find his body.
yet despite those feelings above there was at least one thought in his mind, that seemed to overpower everything else. all sense of reasoning went out of him (he was a very sensible lad, who was able to keep a sense of proportion on things).
we as a society now love to put things into boxes even more so now than years ago, when we accepted life was life and sometimes it threw low ballers at you.
I am afraid that those who do this, do not think of the aftermath for others. For those others, it can be horrific and they then have to deal with it. at some stage that does catch up with them. whether it be 24 hours later or 20 years later.
the seen can never be unseen

that is where most of us stand really, but I don't think it is as simple as that

I had a workmate, who committed suicide by hanging himself from his loft.
was he brave. he certainly was as he knew his actions would end his life and no longer see the family he loved.
was he selfish. yes he was, because he left a young family behind who loved him and also knew that because of what he and where he did it, those that loved him, would find his body.
yet despite those feelings above there was at least one thought in his mind, that seemed to overpower everything else. all sense of reasoning went out of him (he was a very sensible lad, who was able to keep a sense of proportion on things).
we as a society now love to put things into boxes even more so now than years ago, when we accepted life was life and sometimes it threw low ballers at you.
I am afraid that those who do this, do not think of the aftermath for others. For those others, it can be horrific and they then have to deal with it. at some stage that does catch up with them. whether it be 24 hours later or 20 years later.
the seen can never be unseen

Its a horrible thing to have to deal with and be part of the aftermath your so right. Cant Imagine having those feelings however I do understand them I think

Had a female stand in front of me at 70 mph. Had her back to me and was stood just off a level crossing. As I saw it was a person I put the emergency brake on and had the high tone on the horn. About 50m away she turned and looked at me then turned her back again. I've gone thru the emotions of anger hate feeling sorry for her wondering why etc etc etc etc. The only thing I've come to terms with is that if someone isn't bothered about their life they certainly aren't bothered about the lives it affects. I still see her face at the most inappropriate time and I have to take a few breaths and calm myself.

Jesus! That's brutal.

Fuckin'ell man.....:( wow....

A friend of mine commited suicide a couple weeks back. I think it's a very brave thing, got to have some balls to actually go through with it.

People will have their opinions though. I see it as my mate is at peace now and is no longer fighting the demons in his head. No one ever knows what goes on in people's heads. But it must of been something absolutely terrible for it to happen.

I would never criticise people who do it, they always have their reasons.

Just some food for thought, as the act of suicide was decriminalised a long time ago we dont say "committed" anymore as it's not a crime.
although used in a term of "committing crime" , however the word committed is not solely used in that context.

it can be used as determine a course of action such as -
pledged or bound to a certain course or policy; dedicated.
"a committed environmentalist"

Last edited:
Just some food for thought, as the act of suicide was decriminalised a long time ago we dont say "committed" anymore as it's not a crime.
I'm glad you said that, I was going to point that out next time I saw it. In Samaritans we say that people "die by suicide", I don't know if that's the same in the world of psychotherapy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back