Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going to take my mam to see this next week, she's 85 but has all her marbles and looks more like 65. She remembers the war years in great detail and can remember listening to the radio announcements as things happened. One of her grandfathers was killed in France in WW1 and the other served in the Royal Navy and was holed up in Murmansk during the Russian revolution. Her father served in Egypt during WW2 so she followed the war closely.

We're both very excited to see this one.

My grandfather was evacuated form Dunkirk but he was with the RAF and he never talked about it (think the RAF had a tough time) but was proud to be a member of the Dunkirk veterans association. Looking forward to this one. Read a good article about how it was a WWII movie without the Americans in it and then suggested a movie about the Falklands would be a good choice, however the danger with that is Mrs Thatcher being turned into a Winston Churchill-esque leader, when in reality the Falklands could have been a complete disaster.
Churchill led his fair share of colossal disasters like

3/10 was looking forward to it anarl. Canny shit.
@abbs its arrived

Last edited:
My great grandfather died in Dunkirk, just been to see it and it's a very special film indeed. I don't think there is a finer actor on the planet than Mark Rylance.
He was interviewed with the rest of the cast and they were asked what research they done for the role. They all answered with cliche bullshit but he just said 'I didn't, it's impossible for us to know how these men felt' - thought it was a very good answer. He did admit to learning about battle in greater detail at the military museum like.

Excellent film. A straight 10/10 from me.

so when i go to see it am i allowed to then post about any historical inaccuracies i might find??

scoured the trailers to see if i could spot any but am impressed so far - all spits seem to have an oil cooler under only 1 wing which is always a good sign
I spotted one. Am I allowed to say or is that a spoiler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunkirk at the IMAX in Nottingham. Stunning piece of film making and hands down the best use of a movie score i've ever heard/seen. Not without it's faults but it's absolutely gripping stuff, 106 minutes of what seemed like one continuous action sequence roared on by Hans Zimmers incredible score. No deep characters or heavy dialogue but the cast do what they do well. 9/10 from me. See it at the cinema though, not sure it will seem as good on the 24" LOGIK tv in the bedroom!

1st time ever ive read all the pages of a thread. All magnificent men. Welling up at the bravery,i would have had no chance. Makes you wonder if we should,ve kept national service. Might be a few more men out there today.

1st time ever ive read all the pages of a thread. All magnificent men. Welling up at the bravery,i would have had no chance. Makes you wonder if we should,ve kept national service. Might be a few more men out there today.
I think we definitely should have done. Doesn't have to be too rigourois. I wouldn't condone sending anyone to places like Iraq, even during wartime. But it would have been a great way to learn skills and gain experience, especially for those not terribly academic.

Just driven past Dunkirk and waiting to get on a big ship in Calais, it's git easy this way.

Only thing we like better is a good slaughter..oh that reminds me..Passchendaele's 100th is coming up.
Just visited Tynecot cemetery at Passchendaele on the way up. Moving stuff.

Last edited:
Just driven past Dunkirk and waiting to get on a big ship in Calais, it's git easy this way.
We used to speedsail regularly on the beaches from Dunkirk all up to Zeebrugge.

It wasn't unusual for them to pause an event while they detonated a UXB then just carry on as if nothing was amiss.

There must be ton after ton of ordnance buried under those beaches and there's us merrily sailing over the top of it without a care in the world.

It did bring it home a little when they set a bomb off but you couldn't begin to imagine what it would have been like to be there in the thick of it at the time.

Absolutely
I think we definitely should have done. Doesn't have to be too rigourois. I wouldn't condone sending anyone to places like Iraq, even during wartime. But it would have been a great way to learn skills and gain experience, especially for those not terribly academic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back