Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridge too far?
That was Arnhem.

In the visitor centre at Tyne Cot their was a display with various documents and personnel effects from some of the Lads. One was a letter to the family of a Lad who had been missing in action for a year and was now being declared as presumed dead and his death date given as the day he went missing. Thousands of families all over the country would have been receiving them, closing out the last vestige of hope.

We have some of the letters sent from the regimental officer to my great-grandmother after my great-grandfather had been killed. To be honest he does get a bit stalkerish and creepy in some of them.

Last edited:

Enjoyed it but not as good as was expecting.
Nothing about heroic defence of the town.
Too many avoiding drowning sequences.
No real structure to the story.

That's pretty much how I felt , didn't really buy in to any of the characters, they had no back story and it felt very disjointed with time frame swapping from day to night without any context. Overly twee at times especially Brannaghs character at the end

That's pretty much how I felt , didn't really buy in to any of the characters, they had no back story and it felt very disjointed with time frame swapping from day to night without any context. Overly twee at times especially Brannaghs character at the end

I think the characters having no back story was a pleasant change for this type of film and more realistic, it wouldn't have felt right to shoehorn in a generic love story or a scene around a fire reminiscing about home. That would have made it more twee imo. They were thrown into this and i felt like i was when watching it.

I thought the different time zones made it more interesting as well than just having a linear storyline.

I was blown away by this film but i won't underestimate the difference seeing it in 18K at the BFI IMAX made, it's the biggest screen in the country and it really does step the experience up a level

I watched it last night, not that impressed with it to be honest, it fell short and didn't tell me anything the trailers didn't tell me.

I don't think they managed to portray the scale of it successfully, a few lines of soldiers on the beach, about 10 civilian boats, 2 spitfires. Just a couple of German air assaults as well shown, looked like they were dropping hand grenades as well

I agree that there wasn't enough gore shown either, not that it needs loads or to be explicit or anything but I didn't feel like anyone was in danger or scared, even screams of pain following the bombing and then cut to someone witnessing it and more focus on the urgency of the men to get off the beach would have got the message across better.

I also get what Nolan wanted to do with the 3 storylines but it just came across as messy for me, I didn't care about the civilian boat and it got too much screen time

The music and cinematography were both amazing though. Doubt I'd watch it again

I agree completely with your second paragraph. Having said that I still did really enjoy it and would watch again. Not sure how much it will lose when it goes to small screen mind.

Don't know if this happened elsewhere but I thought it was a nice touch having the British Legion doing a collection outside of the screen.

Same here. I remember hating the ITV "World at War" WW2 documentary series on Sunday afternoons when I was a kid. Me parents were glued to it, but it was BORING.

Then about 5 years ago I downloaded the whole series and binged it in a day. Bloody marvellous programming.
Olivier's commentary is outstanding....

Bought the original Dunkirk with Attenbrough and John Mills yesterday at hmv for 3 quid. Ok, some acting is a bit wooden and some backdrops are fake, but you have the great story of them trying to find their way back to allied lines after being cut off.
You also have the story of how Attenbrough 'buys' in to helping the evacuation after being a bit lukewarm and getting an earbashing off the guy who eventually gets killed on the beach.
The film shows you the hell of them being stuck on the beach with little or no defence from the stukas, me110s etc.
Imho, this Dunkirk version is superior to the current even tho made in the 50s.
If you haven t seen it, it is defo worth a watch.

Saw this today at thr BFI Imax in 70mm film.......amazing.

Don't think i've seen anything as intense at the cinema, the picture quality is stunning and the soundtrack (Hans Zimmer) is superb.

You have to see this film and you have to see it in Imax.
Only three in the country showing full IMAX 70mm. BFI, Printworks in Manchester and another in London iirc.

Just seen It, it's a fantastic film. Not quite 10/10 but a solid 9/10.

The musical score made it even better than expected mind.

Harry Styles was better than expected anarl.

And I cried anarl. But then owt about the war tends to set me off.

About 15 years ago I met a 91 year old guy who told me tales about having to step over the dead Canadians on D Day. Fascinating and terrifying. I went to see him because Northern Rock had cut the interest rate on his account from 6.5% to 0.1%. f***ing respect and gratitude.

I can't really get that carried away with Christopher Nolan films. Even with the cast of Memento he couldn't quite get it right, for me. Pantoliano, Tobolowsky, Sansom Harris, Boone Jr. and that's his best, i think.

This looks like it's been set up specifically begging for the Oscars, but with a fifth rate cast. Probably give it a shot just to keep up on him.

Is Michael Caine in it?

Only three in the country showing full IMAX 70mm. BFI, Printworks in Manchester and another in London iirc.

Ah, i wasn't sure and thought maybe a few more did. Shame because it is stunning and people really are missing out.
I've seen a few films at the BFI but nothing compared to this.
I always thought 4K was the best you could see a film in at the cinema but this was equivalent to 18K apparently

Watched this on Saturday. A truly beautiful film.
The hairs on my arms stood up at one point thinking I'm proud to be British, I'm proud these men fought for us, I just wish my grandad was around to see this he loved his war films :cry:
Do not forget the sacrifices of everyone who made it possible for our boys to get home, the French, the Canadians, the Belgians and the rest of the allies. R.I.P true heroes

I can't really get that carried away with Christopher Nolan films. Even with the cast of Memento he couldn't quite get it right, for me. Pantoliano, Tobolowsky, Sansom Harris, Boone Jr. and that's his best, i think.

This looks like it's been set up specifically begging for the Oscars, but with a fifth rate cast. Probably give it a shot just to keep up on him.

Is Michael Caine in it?
Aye, Nolan has confirmed it

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...meo-raf-officer-radio-tom-hardy-a7859496.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back