Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed it but not as good as was expecting.
Nothing about heroic defence of the town.
Too many avoiding drowning sequences.
No real structure to the story.

Dont believe the bs about french surrendering. The fought braveny to help cover the british retreat
And dont believe the crap that the raf failed to defend the army either.

Absolutely. Especially with Verdun in living memory.
Going there in september after bastogne/ardennes.

So was mine. Served on a hospital ship. The Luftwaffe repeatedly attempted to dive bomb it.

I wonder why Hitler halted the panzer divisions when he did? They would have annihilated or captured the majority of the BEF.
The German commanders asked hitler to halt so they could prevent any attempt at an allied breakout.
Goering promised hitler hed blast the troops inside the pocket thus saving the army from incurring losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to speedsail regularly on the beaches from Dunkirk all up to Zeebrugge.

It wasn't unusual for them to pause an event while they detonated a UXB then just carry on as if nothing was amiss.

There must be ton after ton of ordnance buried under those beaches and there's us merrily sailing over the top of it without a care in the world.

It did bring it home a little when they set a bomb off but you couldn't begin to imagine what it would have been like to be there in the thick of it at the time.

Went to visit the DiDi's brothers grave at Ypres (Potizje burial ground) this morning, 19 or 20 yr old when he was killed. In his row there are about another five from the DLI killed on the same day, including two 18 yr olds and a 22 yr old. Just bits of kids who must of seen unimaginable horrors in their time. They weren't in any main action at the time so I imagine they just got caught by one of the thousands of shells hurled at them.
Also went to Tyne Cot cemetery which is the biggest in the world that the CWGC look after, there are nearly 12,000 graves there and about 8,000 are unknown soldiers, blown to bits and unrecognisable. We don't realise how lucky we are not to have lived through something like that.

Went to visit the DiDi's brothers grave at Ypres (Potizje burial ground) this morning, 19 or 20 yr old when he was killed. In his row there are about another five from the DLI killed on the same day, including two 18 yr olds and a 22 yr old. Just bits of kids who must of seen unimaginable horrors in their time. They weren't in any main action at the time so I imagine they just got caught by one of the thousands of shells hurled at them.
Also went to Tyne Cot cemetery which is the biggest in the world that the CWGC look after, there are nearly 12,000 graves there and about 8,000 are unknown soldiers, blown to bits and unrecognisable. We don't realise how lucky we are not to have lived through something like that.
So very true.

Lest we forget.

We went to a cemetery at Bayeux. I was choked when I saw a stone with the DLI badge on that simply said a soldier. It not just the fact that men died, it was heartbreaking thinking that was someones son and there was a probably poor Mam back home who would have spent the rest of her life wondering where her boy was laid.

We went to a cemetery at Bayeux. I was choked when I saw a stone with the DLI badge on that simply said a soldier. It not just the fact that men died, it was heartbreaking thinking that was someones son and there was a probably poor Mam back home who would have spent the rest of her life wondering where her boy was laid.

In the visitor centre at Tyne Cot their was a display with various documents and personnel effects from some of the Lads. One was a letter to the family of a Lad who had been missing in action for a year and was now being declared as presumed dead and his death date given as the day he went missing. Thousands of families all over the country would have been receiving them, closing out the last vestige of hope.

Enjoyed it but not as good as was expecting.
Nothing about heroic defence of the town.
Too many avoiding drowning sequences.
No real structure to the story.

The only real real criticism I have about it is the lack of blood/gore. Some films use it to the point it becomes overkill, but if used in the right way it can have a very visceral effect and I think in films such as this it's absolutely necessary.

One of the best films I have seen.
Two Grand Dads, one got home but died of his wounds, the other (Mums side) who was everything to me as a kid. Got me into fishing, wild birds and football.
Today I was fighting back the tears thinking of him.
My Mums sister has all the records and stories that have been put aside in a box for me.
Told today that he got back on a fishing trawler, whilst his best mate Tommo was split up on the beach and was on a bigger war ship that was hit. He never saw him again.
The film had everything, gripping from start to finish and makes you proud.

The only real real criticism I have about it is the lack of blood/gore. Some films use it to the point it becomes overkill, but if used in the right way it can have a very visceral effect and I think in films such as this it's absolutely necessary.

I honest think the company requested a 12. Makes big difference to Box Office. Reckon that is why Harry Styles had a major role, gets arses on seats. In my opinion, it was fine, don't think it needed the blood and gore, was tense enough.

I honest think the company requested a 12. Makes big difference to Box Office. Reckon that is why Harry Styles had a major role, gets arses on seats. In my opinion, it was fine, don't think it needed the blood and gore, was tense enough.

Possibly aye, Styles was quite good in it mind I was pleasantly surprised.

I think we definitely should have done. Doesn't have to be too rigourois. I wouldn't condone sending anyone to places like Iraq, even during wartime. But it would have been a great way to learn skills and gain experience, especially for those not terribly academic.

i'd be all for it - not sure i agree with the not sending them anywhere dangerous

my father did his national service and ended up in Malaya for 2 years of the emergency, just the luck of the draw really

I watched it last night, not that impressed with it to be honest, it fell short and didn't tell me anything the trailers didn't tell me.

I don't think they managed to portray the scale of it successfully, a few lines of soldiers on the beach, about 10 civilian boats, 2 spitfires. Just a couple of German air assaults as well shown, looked like they were dropping hand grenades as well

I agree that there wasn't enough gore shown either, not that it needs loads or to be explicit or anything but I didn't feel like anyone was in danger or scared, even screams of pain following the bombing and then cut to someone witnessing it and more focus on the urgency of the men to get off the beach would have got the message across better.

I also get what Nolan wanted to do with the 3 storylines but it just came across as messy for me, I didn't care about the civilian boat and it got too much screen time

The music and cinematography were both amazing though. Doubt I'd watch it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back