Dunkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

By Hitler it was.
He personally intervened and stopped his panzers outside Dunkirk without giving a reason.
There has been much conjecture since why he made this decision.

Been going over some of the old maps. Not sure it was that simple. So much of the ground was flooded, so many roads blocked, and there were so many rivers and canals I'm not convinced a continued offense was as feasible as some historians have made out.

Bit harsh that Stevie lad. The British Army lived to fight another day and it could have been much much worse.

Really looking forward to seeing this like.
There were troops left behind who had to be a rear guard.
I'm not knocking the troops in any way, just the leadership and strategists.

We celebrate an escape.

thought u ment they had fucked the film up, to be honest id say Dunkirk was a success saved 300,000 of our troops alot of whom were part of D-Day invasions, the BEF was a disaster waiting to happen
It's just a weird national phenomena that we celebrate what in essence was a defeat and a lucky escape. I'll leave it at that as people crave entertainment nowadays.

It's just a weird national phenomena that we celebrate what in essence was a defeat and a lucky escape. I'll leave it at that as people crave entertainment nowadays.

I wouldn't say we celebrate it like. As you say it was a defeat and a major retreat but there were amazing acts of bravery/heroism during the evacuation and surely that is worth remembering including the poor soldiers who were left behind.

I wouldn't say we celebrate it like. As you say it was a defeat and a major retreat but there were amazing acts of bravery/heroism during the evacuation and surely that is worth remembering including the poor soldiers who were left behind.
It was an incredible escape. It meant we could get away and regroup. maybe if we hadn`t evacuated then we wouldn`t have been able to fight back like we did later in the war. The French view Dunkirk slightly differently to us though and saw it as us abandoning them to their fate.

My granda shot a spitfire down at Dunkirk. He said you didn't have time to identify the plane so anything that came near you opened up on. I can't imagine the terror of being there so I think he's pretty justified.

I worked with some of the lads who were on those beaches. Few of them still about. Some of the stories they told were horrific. Must have taken a lot to get back on a ship again to go back out later in the war.

My Great Uncle was there and survived Dunkirk, he was later shot in 1942 when he was 20. He was on a Red Cross ship and the Germans sank it, and because he was in the water for so long it weakened his heart. He ended up dying from complications of his heart in 1952. My grandad used to tell me about his Brother's experiences and how he seen his mates blown up off mines etc.

The stuff that the young men of that generation endure was horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back