The club deserve praise in my eyes over M'Vila

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats more to do with the fact that technically he is owned by a club whose fans racially abuse black players. Hence why he went on strike all that time ago. If i was being hounded at work regularly id probably take a cut if it meant i could get the fuck out aswell.

Even so he was reported to have sought sanctuary at Sunderland last August after fleeing Moscow. The Rubin Kazan loanee shakes his head and bristles slightly. “I think some people have an incorrect image of Russia,” he says. “I enjoyed my time there, especially the people. Russians are really kind, really nice. I think they’re absolutely fantastic.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/17/yann-mvila-sunderland-tyne-wear-derby-newcastle

Lets not pretend we have a crack team of gifted negotiators either.

I would agree that the past few years would suggest that but, given our recent club staff recruitment/change of individual responsibilities (new Chief Exec., no D.O.F./ Manager, not Head Coach etc.), I'm hoping that has changed.

Not enough to go to the other extreme and "cut of our nose to spite our face" but enough to ensure that we get good value and not be regarded as a "soft touch", when it comes to negotiating deals of any description (not just transfers).

I'm thinking of anything/everything from sponsorship to stadium contracts, concerts etc.

I think the early signs with both Allardyce and M'Vila is that our new CEO is a proper negotiator. We are in a stronger position than Rubin Kazan on this one, as M'Vila is currently a liability to them, costing £100k a week.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the stories that we are going to wait until January and get him for nothing have been planted for that reason.

If that's the case, it's about time too.

Kirchhoff and cattermole is a perfectly decent lower mid table dm pairing. And besides, we're talking about them being first choice for a couple of games. Either way we'll have an upgrade by September 1st. However if we cave in to Rubin just to get Mvila in asap rather than squeezing them a bit it will have a negative effect on the quality of attacking midfielder were able to buy - and that is more likely to be the difference between relegation battle and comfortable survival.
I agree 100% with the bit in bold. It's when suspensions and injuries kick in and we have to start relying on the others that you realise we are lacking depth and quality in that position.
M'Vila should be the easiest signing we make this summer and I'll find it frustrating if he isn't in the starting XI for the first game. I still think he'll sign based on what I've read and the people on here I trust with information.
However, if we are gambling and we miss out on him it'll be even harder to take. He's pretty much everything we never get in our signings. He's an improvement to our starting XI, he's a good price, he's the right age and the minute he signs a 4 year deal with us he's probably at £20m asset.

To pay that money for six months is ridiculous.
No it isn't, we're getting a very good player, who wants to be here and is already settled. Fuck the 6 months, we are risking losing out over saving a couple of million quid

He isn't reluctant though is he . . . It is pretty common knowledge he wants To come. He can't sign a permanent contract whilst under contract at another club?? We would need to agree a fee first and we can't.

It's not that bad really is it??

We can agree a contract with him without speaking to the club.
Well, a pre-contract.
They can be arranged as far as 6 month in advance of his deal ending.

What we should do is get M'Villa to agree to that (though I assume he won't as he wants out now)
Then tell his club we will take him now for X or you lose him to us in 5 month for nothing

I'm sorry but I disagree.

We have wasted money on poor players, players like Rodwell. However, in M'Vila's case, he has already proven he is up to the task, he is a quality player and has done it for us last season. It will be extremely frustrating if over the sake of say £3-5m we lose out on a player of his calibre considering the amount of money we have wasted on absolute shit.

This signing should have been agreed at the end of last season and he should have spent all pre-season with the squad in preparation of the new season.
I predict he will turn shite and people will bemoan the fact he was much better on loan until he signed and no longer cared. That's if he does sign.

Tin hat on here but though we clearly need strengthening in midfield as well as other departments, there are other options and players out there.

Other people can also get the house for free in six months. Or for £150k now or £100k now or £50k now or next week or the week after.
There's loads of houses out there though. Just because you've rented this one doesn't mean you must buy it:D

I predict he will turn shite and people will bemoan the fact he was much better on loan until he signed and no longer cared. That's if he does sign.

Tin hat on here but though we clearly need strengthening in midfield as well as other departments, there are other options and players out there.

Other riskier options imo. If M'Vila had been ours coming off the season he'd just had, we'd be saying he's worth £15m plus.

He's only 26 with his best years ahead of him.

No it isn't, we're getting a very good player, who wants to be here and is already settled. Fuck the 6 months, we are risking losing out over saving a couple of million quid
5 million quid for six months! Plus fees and wages, Messi would be cheaper

Yes - this needs its own thread because I said so.

In the past we have wasted a lot of money, he wants to come here so why should we give his club what they want.

We have the cards this time, all those saying we should just give them £5m WHY?? That is £5m from another transfer.

Yes, we may have to wait but tough, I'd rather we have a club who are sensible. And if you think I am wrong ask yourself this . . .

Would you pay £150k to buy a house that you could get for free in 6 months??

Have faith, we have a better team spirit now than we have for many many years and we have some seriously good players too. We are short in certain spaces - that's why we may need that £5m.
Yes that is how I look at it as well, I want Short to spend more money on players, i've said it myself but even I know we must wait it out abit longer. Paying £5m for someone that is free in 6 months is madness when that £5m can be used on another player. I'd imagine this will go on until the last day of the window where his club will question themselves, do I want to wait until January and let him go for nothing or do I just sell and get what I can now and accept Sunderland proposal. There is fear that another club will put a bid in but with M'Villa saying he wants to come to Sunderland and made it public only strengthens Sunderland hand.

Using your house analogy- imagine you rented a house for a year and loved it. Now you have the chance to buy that house for the 150k that you mentioned. Yes, if you wait 6 month you might get it for free- great!

But, that house is worth much more than the 150k you'll paying for it. Other people are also in the market for a house just like this one.

Would you wait and risk paying more for a house that's not as good or that you don't really know?

Or just buy it in order to reduce risk and own something worth more than you paid for it straight away?

I know which one I'd go for.

Yann, if you read this, I know that a human being is not a commodity like a house and admit it feels strange to compare one to bricks and mortar.

We clearly need strengthening in midfield as well as other departments, there are other options and players out there.

Until I know that it isn't possible, I'm still dreaming of a M'Vila, Kirchhoff, Fellani midfield, so am prepared/wish to hold on to that thought for as long as possible.

If that were to happen I, honestly, can't think of another P.L. team with a better one.

I agree 100% with the bit in bold. It's when suspensions and injuries kick in and we have to start relying on the others that you realise we are lacking depth and quality in that position.
M'Vila should be the easiest signing we make this summer and I'll find it frustrating if he isn't in the starting XI for the first game. I still think he'll sign based on what I've read and the people on here I trust with information.
However, if we are gambling and we miss out on him it'll be even harder to take. He's pretty much everything we never get in our signings. He's an improvement to our starting XI, he's a good price, he's the right age and the minute he signs a 4 year deal with us he's probably at £20m asset.

Sunderland are showing a lot of faith that M'Vila only wants to play for them.

He's very highly rated on here by just about everyone so that's good enough for me but it's also a bit of a paradox that no one else is in for him especially if the common consensus on here is that he is a £20m player.

He might be a late option for some other PL club who find themselves a MF light come the start of the season.

The Ruskies are obviously fookin us over for a bit of sport, I don't think they actually need the £5m so are obviously being twats
There may be an element of truth in this. If they get into their heads that we are trying to have their pants down, then they'll see it as losing face, and that's just as, if not more important to them than the money. They're probably the most stubborn race on earth.

If it were just a squad player then yes, haggle away. Imo though, £5 million for a player of M'Vila quality, why does it matter that he has 6 months left? That's an unbelievable fee in this market for a player of his ability.

Using your house analogy- imagine you rented a house for a year and loved it. Now you have the chance to buy that house for the 150k that you mentioned. Yes, if you wait 6 month you might get it for free- great!

But, that house is worth much more than the 150k you'll paying for it. Other people are also in the market for a house just like this one.

Would you wait and risk paying more for a house that's not as good or that you don't really know?

Or just buy it in order to reduce risk and own something worth more than you paid for it straight away?

I know which one I'd go for.

Yann, if you read this, I know that a human being is not a commodity like a house and admit it feels strange to compare one to bricks and mortar.

Especially if you believe that house is worth four times more than the asking fee. Do you pay 150k (5m) now for a house that's worth 600k (20m) or do you chance your arm that no one else wants to buy it in between time? Even when it's available for free in January there are no assurances that you'll be the one getting it for free.

For the sake of £5m in today's market, i think it is absolutely ludicrous that we didn't actively look to get this deal done as soon as the season finished. The likes of Joe Allen (1 year left) has just gone for £13m or something, and that was the mooted fee for Arnautovic (again, had 1 year left) when he was being linked with a move away.

We could have had him all pre-season and conditioned for the full season ahead - instead, god knows what state he will be in if we do sign him later down the line (especially when his dip in form in the second half of last year was widely attributed to him not having had a full pre-season)

Whilst i do admire the club's stand on 'we're no longer mugs like we have been in the past,' we're signing a top class player who has proved his capability in the league here - sometimes exceptions have to be made for the benefit of the club.

Agreed.

Obviously we don't know what the actual situation is but my worry is that we're in danger of hoying the baby out with the bathwater on this one.

Sorry like but when a player like M'Vila wants to sign for SAFC you sign the fucker.

The money that's being talked about is fuck all for a player like him. If we miss out me and a lot of other supporters won't be happy.
If reports are lead to believe and we're haggling and trying to get the 5m asking price down then thats pathetic imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back