Went and bought Final Fantasy xv

• Thread starter Deleted member 4700
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm level 50 on chapter 6 now, kinda got bored of doing all the sidequests, the story isn't great. I found the story of 13 hard to follow through my first play through, but thankfully i watched Kingsglaive before i played this and that has helped fill in a lot of gaps. I know what's going on, but there's not really much substance to the characters.

It's a stunningly beautiful game, but if I'm not doing the main story i find it quite tedious. That's not to say that when I'm playing the main story I'm in hook line and sinker which i was from FF6-FF12. There just seems to be something missing, i understand that it started as 13 Versus and i think because of this the game doesn't really know what it's supposed to be. The free roaming and combat works for me, but there's nothing you're going to find whilst roaming around the open world that's going to give you some different dialogue and be able to venture onto a significant sidequest (eg Odin in FF8, Magus Sisters/Yojimbo in FFX. Loads of examples in 7) it's just the same old, get some dog tags, get some ingredients, see a guy with a broken down car, see a wounded hunter. The sidequests that you do find are marked with a question mark and it's far too hand holdy for my liking.

Having had that whinge, there's positives, the combat for me is really fun, especially when you unlock more techniques with the ascension grid. I like how it's very team orientated to deal the best damage and it's the way the game was intended to be played. I miss the need to use magic strategically, if you were good enough you could fight everything just using melee and warping... Graphically it's ace, in the older games you got excited when you were treated to a long cut scene and had the enhanced graphics, they're too few and far between for me in this, again this will have something to do with the fact that it's been altered and changed so much in the development. I think the voice acting is pretty much spot on 90% of the time, the ability to fast travel with the Regalia is a godsend, but i don't want that... I used to love having to do the journeys across the world map to get to my next destination.

It's alright, I think it's better than 13, but not better than any of the 6-12 lot. I'll finish it soon, then give it another whirl. But there's my initial thoughts so far, sorry for the essay.

Last edited:

I'm level 50 on chapter 6 now, kinda got bored of doing all the sidequests, the story isn't great. I found the story of 13 hard to follow through my first play through, but thankfully i watched Kingsglaive before i played this and that has helped fill in a lot of gaps. I know what's going on, but there's not really much substance to the characters.

It's a stunningly beautiful game, but if I'm not doing the main story i find it quite tedious. That's not to say that when I'm playing the main story I'm in hook line and sinker which i was from FF6-FF12. There just seems to be something missing, i understand that it started as 13 Versus and i think because of this the game doesn't really know what it's supposed to be. The free roaming and combat works for me, but there's nothing you're going to find whilst roaming around the open world that's going to give you some different dialogue and be able to venture onto a significant sidequest (eg Odin in FF8, Magus Sisters/Yojimbo in FFX. Loads of examples in 7) it's just the same old, get some dog tags, get some ingredients, see a guy with a broken down car, see a wounded hunter. The sidequests that you do find are marked with a question mark and it's far too hand holdy for my liking.

Having had that whinge, there's positives, the combat for me is really fun, especially when you unlock more techniques with the ascension grid. I like how it's very team orientated to deal the best damage and it's the way the game was intended to be played. I miss the need to use magic strategically, if you were good enough you could fight everything just using melee and warping... Graphically it's ace, in the older games you got excited when you were treated to a long cut scene and had the enhanced graphics, they're too few and far between for me in this, again this will have something to do with the fact that it's been altered and changed so much in the development. I think the voice acting is pretty much spot on 90% of the time, the ability to fast travel with the Regalia is a godsend, but i don't want that... I used to love having to do the journeys across the world map to get to my next destination.

It's alright, I think it's better than 13, but not better than any of the 6-12 lot. I'll finish it soon, then give it another whirl. But there's my initial thoughts so far, sorry for the essay.
I think that will sum up how most FF fans will feel. Since it's the story that's the problem I'm much for optimistic about the ffvii remake that I was previously. Gameplay was the problem with xii and xiii imo rather than story.

I was a bit worried that if I was just controlling cloud the other characters wouldn't feel important but ffxv did a really good job of fleshing out the boy band and their characters. I didn't even find prompto annoying like I'd expected to. Their story was quite compelling but the supporting cast could be anyone. Even having watched kingsglaive I couldn't remember who half of them were.

Without giving any spoilers, one suggestion I've got is make sure you save some of your better photos. There is a point to it later on.

I think that will sum up how most FF fans will feel. Since it's the story that's the problem I'm much for optimistic about the ffvii remake that I was previously. Gameplay was the problem with xii and xiii imo rather than story.

I was a bit worried that if I was just controlling cloud the other characters wouldn't feel important but ffxv did a really good job of fleshing out the boy band and their characters. I didn't even find prompto annoying like I'd expected to. Their story was quite compelling but the supporting cast could be anyone. Even having watched kingsglaive I couldn't remember who half of them were.

Without giving any spoilers, one suggestion I've got is make sure you save some of your better photos. There is a point to it later on.
How many from each set would you say?

Have they announced if the FF7 remake is going to have similar combat to 15? That would suck so much, much prefer the turn based system or even the system from FF13. In 15 it seems so messy when you get into a fight with a lot of enemies just because you have no control over what the rest of your party is doing.

Trying to do the hunts for 6 killer bees or 5 couerls have been some of the hardest fights I've had in the game just because I can't focus anything down and my party walk wherever they want often into spells/abilities.

Have they announced if the FF7 remake is going to have similar combat to 15? That would suck so much, much prefer the turn based system or even the system from FF13. In 15 it seems so messy when you get into a fight with a lot of enemies just because you have no control over what the rest of your party is doing.

Trying to do the hunts for 6 killer bees or 5 couerls have been some of the hardest fights I've had in the game just because I can't focus anything down and my party walk wherever they want often into spells/abilities.
They haven't confirmed it will be the same as 15 as far as I'm aware but there's no chance of it being turn based. I imagine given the reviews etc all being positive that they'll do something similar.

It would be good if they could expand on the wait mode in 15 and give you the option to flip between turn based and the ff15 combat but I doubt it.

Just finished chapter 13, from 8 to 14 in 4 hours, what the hell was that story about? Anyway, I've not gone too far forward and decided to go back and do some side quests. Level 62, I just keep using the coins and notes to boost eco when in big fights, not seen the turtle yet.

Just finished chapter 13, from 8 to 14 in 4 hours, what the hell was that story about? Anyway, I've not gone too far forward and decided to go back and do some side quests. Level 62, I just keep using the coins and notes to boost eco when in big fights, not seen the turtle yet.
What are the notes called? The story is f***ing shit like, I watched that Kingsglaive pap so I recognise some folk but I'm five hours in and have seen four or five disjointed cutscenes that make little sense to me even after watching the supplemental movie.

What are the notes called? The story is f***ing shit like, I watched that Kingsglaive pap so I recognise some folk but I'm five hours in and have seen four or five disjointed cutscenes that make little sense to me even after watching the supplemental movie.
Debased coins and I'm sure they're debased notes as well. 96 x exp you can get if you have enough and if it's against a big boss your do will fly up.

Debased coins and I'm sure they're debased notes as well. 96 x exp you can get if you have enough and if it's against a big boss your do will fly up.
You just stick numerous coins and notes in the elememcy of spells? Do you have to kill enemies with it to get the boost or just use the spell?

You just stick numerous coins and notes in the elememcy of spells? Do you have to kill enemies with it to get the boost or just use the spell?
You have to use it as a spell against big bosses or hunting where the xp is big, I think as long as it's used the xp is multiplied.

How the hell do I avoid getting hit? I'm losing health continuously even when it doesn't look like the enemy is in the middle of an attack animation. Even though I'm overpowered for where I am enemies still seem to take massive chunks of health with their attacks and it's often too busy to see what is going on. Any tips appreciated.

How the hell do I avoid getting hit? I'm losing health continuously even when it doesn't look like the enemy is in the middle of an attack animation. Even though I'm overpowered for where I am enemies still seem to take massive chunks of health with their attacks and it's often too busy to see what is going on. Any tips appreciated.

Hold square isn't it?

Hold square on PS4 or X on xbox is the dodge button. Are you using one of the Royal Arms? They hurt you every time you attack with it.

I don't think the levels are really that accurate for the difficulty of the fights. I've had some fights against similar level or slightly higher stuff that I can very easily kill and other fights against stuff 10 levels lower than me where I get destroyed (such as killer bee and coeurl hunts mentioned earlier).

Only discovered the monster arena thingy after completing the game, kinda enjoy betting on monsters although its annoying there is a 9999 cap on the wager.

I know about the square button but I was still getting hit when it didn't look like the enemies were even attacking (and it wasn't one of the Royal Arms). I'm sussing out a new tactic which is working quite well for me so I've improved slightly. I'm also making use of Ignis and his Regroup command which heals all party members and eating food to refill my depleted health bar. Also just collected 20k EXP and stayed at Galdin for 2x. I'm actually getting sucked in to the game even if the story is shit. Loved the first boss, some mad blond kid with a name and everything that I'd never even seen or heard of!

Stopped at level 14 to go back in time to do some side quests I've banked 200,000 xp and I'm waiting to go to Altisia to get x3 xp bonus in the hotel.

Then twatting chickens are annoying.

Stopped at level 14 to go back in time to do some side quests I've banked 200,000 xp and I'm waiting to go to Altisia to get x3 xp bonus in the hotel.

Then twatting chickens are annoying.
I'd stored 30k EXP and then inadvertently reached the end of a chapter. Annoying as no multiplyer boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back