Weight Loss 2019

Has anyone got any good tips for dealing with hunger. I'm guessing willpower is the answer like but I'm hoping there's other things I can do.

Basically, I've let myself get ridiculously out of shape and I'm so heavy that I'm genuinely thinking it will affect my life expectancy if I don't get a grip of it. A lot of it will be from drinking a bit too much but I'm also very guilty of being lazy after work and getting takeaways or putting on unhealthy ready meals.

So, I've started actually cooking food and I'm trying to cook healthy portions rather than over-filling the plate! Only trouble is, I'm cooking a portion that I know is perfectly enough but as soon as I eat it I feel hungry again. Very hard to then resist eating more and filling up with crap. Is it just a case of putting up with it? I'm hoping after a few weeks my body will just get used to the fact that it isn't getting takeaway type portions every time but in the meantime its very hard to stick to a moderately low calorie diet!

Has anyone got any good tips for dealing with hunger. I'm guessing willpower is the answer like but I'm hoping there's other things I can do.

Basically, I've let myself get ridiculously out of shape and I'm so heavy that I'm genuinely thinking it will affect my life expectancy if I don't get a grip of it. A lot of it will be from drinking a bit too much but I'm also very guilty of being lazy after work and getting takeaways or putting on unhealthy ready meals.

So, I've started actually cooking food and I'm trying to cook healthy portions rather than over-filling the plate! Only trouble is, I'm cooking a portion that I know is perfectly enough but as soon as I eat it I feel hungry again. Very hard to then resist eating more and filling up with crap. Is it just a case of putting up with it? I'm hoping after a few weeks my body will just get used to the fact that it isn't getting takeaway type portions every time but in the meantime its very hard to stick to a moderately low calorie diet!

There are a few things you can try.

Don't eat in front of the TV, if you are distracted your mind doesn't focus on the fact you are eating so turn the TV off when you eat.

Eat slowly so your brain has time to register that your stomach is full.

Drink a pint of water before your meal to fill you up.

When you are full stop, you can always finish the rest off later when you are hungry again.

Snack on fruit and vegetables they are low calorie and have lots of fibre so fill you up.

Eat wholemeal foods as they are more filling.

Use smaller plates so it looks more but again once you are nicely full leave it and reheat the leftovers if you get hungry again.

Do things to distract you from thinking about food.

Good luck.

Back up 2lb this week to 12 stone 13 but I was expecting it after a stag and a christening the last few weekends . Back on track now and hopefully il be able to stay away from the pub for a few weeks which should make a big difference.

Dipped under 240lbs this morning, can’t remember last time I’ve been that, a good few years.
sitting at 243 today after a heavy Wembley weekend and another decent drink last weekend. Back to it now, signed up to a 10 mile trail run in May, last night. Gonna try get 10 miles in the legs on saturday morning too.

The two things that have worked for me are two that @GlassSlippers mentioned: not eating in front of the tv and eating slowly.

My wife and I used to have a tv in the dining room so we would eat and watch tv. I removed the tv from there so now dinner is a social event between me and my wife. We eat slower because we are conversing and not just stuffing our faces while watching the television. It has really helped in us being able to cut back on our portions and not feel hungry.

Best of luck, pal!

There are a few things you can try.

Don't eat in front of the TV, if you are distracted your mind doesn't focus on the fact you are eating so turn the TV off when you eat.

Eat slowly so your brain has time to register that your stomach is full.

Drink a pint of water before your meal to fill you up.

When you are full stop, you can always finish the rest off later when you are hungry again.

Snack on fruit and vegetables they are low calorie and have lots of fibre so fill you up.

Eat wholemeal foods as they are more filling.

Use smaller plates so it looks more but again once you are nicely full leave it and reheat the leftovers if you get hungry again.

Do things to distract you from thinking about food.

Good luck.

I would second all of these. A technique I've recently discovered to help you eat more slowly is to swap the hands you use your cutlery in. Forces you to really concentrate and you just aren't physically as quick at eating. Learn from my mistakes though - don't eat a curry while wearing an item of clothing you really like this way!

I would second all of these. A technique I've recently discovered to help you eat more slowly is to swap the hands you use your cutlery in. Forces you to really concentrate and you just aren't physically as quick at eating. Learn from my mistakes though - don't eat a curry while wearing an item of clothing you really like this way!

Been reflecting on this a bit overnight and I think whilst these techniques can be helpful they are just that - techniques. What made a sustainable difference for me when I wanted to lose the weight was the way I thought about my relationship with food (and beer!). I started to get complications with my diabetes at c. 28 and that gave me the kick up the backside I needed. I started to think of food as fuel rather than a source of pleasure, and that change in paradigm changed my desires, which led to a natural change in habits. From what you were saying it sounds like you have the motivation (you think it may impact on your life expectancy - pretty serious stuff), I would then concentrate on how improving your diet will help you meet your goal (of longer life expectancy) and then think about what techniques and tools (cooking for yourself, eating smaller portions) will help you get there, try them and make habits of the ones you find most useful.

Apologies if that's a bit deep but hopefully it helps - it did for me and I've managed to keep the weight off (I was 14st, currently sat at 10st 5.4lb and looking to hit 10 st and stay there).

Been reflecting on this a bit overnight and I think whilst these techniques can be helpful they are just that - techniques. What made a sustainable difference for me when I wanted to lose the weight was the way I thought about my relationship with food (and beer!). I started to get complications with my diabetes at c. 28 and that gave me the kick up the backside I needed. I started to think of food as fuel rather than a source of pleasure, and that change in paradigm changed my desires, which led to a natural change in habits. From what you were saying it sounds like you have the motivation (you think it may impact on your life expectancy - pretty serious stuff), I would then concentrate on how improving your diet will help you meet your goal (of longer life expectancy) and then think about what techniques and tools (cooking for yourself, eating smaller portions) will help you get there, try them and make habits of the ones you find most useful.

Apologies if that's a bit deep but hopefully it helps - it did for me and I've managed to keep the weight off (I was 14st, currently sat at 10st 5.4lb and looking to hit 10 st and stay there).
Great post. Thanks for that.

Back on track finally, diet going ok and training not bad, lost 9 lbs since 28th March, so slow and steady loss.

Back to just under 11 stone now, 5 pounds to lose to get back to weight before illness and no training. Then push on to next target weight.

Set up to lose one pound a week on calorie control, most weeks do better. Hopefully can keep on point with this. Back at Doctors tomorrow, fingers crossed happy for me to carry on training.

That’s very much the mindset I’m in at the minute. My attitude towards food has changed quite a lot. I still enjoy it, but I’m actively thinking about what I’m eating. It also makes me appreciate the bad stuff more when I allow myself to have it. The two takeaways I’ve had in the past two months have been heavenly and I’ve enjoyed them more.

Also, starting training has given me some much appreciated time to myself which is as therapeutic as the exercise itself.

Well done fella.

Cheers, it hasn’t been half as difficult as I thought but given my previous lifestyle it didn’t take much to make a massive difference.

Last edited:
That’s very much the mindset I’m in at the minute. My attitude towards food has changed quite a lot. I still enjoy it, but I’m actively thinking about what I’m eating. It also makes me appreciate the bad stuff more when I allow myself to have it. The two takeaways I’ve had in the past two months have been heavenly and I’ve enjoyed them more.

Also, starting training has given me some much appreciated time to myself which is as therapeutic as the exercise itself.

Cheers, it hasn’t been half as difficult as I thought but given my previous lifestyle it didn’t take much to make a massive difference.

If you fall off for any reason, then you just get up and go again. It is not a quick fix, I have more good days than bad, but now don't beat myself up about the bad.

Just start again, for me takes four days, once I hit that point I am in the right mindset. I count calories which works for me and the only thing I have to cut back on is bread, because I am a right bread monster.

If you fall off for any reason, then you just get up and go again. It is not a quick fix, I have more good days than bad, but now don't beat myself up about the bad.

Just start again, for me takes four days, once I hit that point I am in the right mindset. I count calories which works for me and the only thing I have to cut back on is bread, because I am a right bread monster.

Cheers.

To be honest feeling better in myself and being able to fit into clothes I haven’t been able to for a long time has been reasons enough to keep me from going back to old habits.

I’ve just changed my mindset so hopefully it’ll stick. Also cutting the bread way down has helped me anarl.:lol:

I have been trying an eating ‘window’ of 8 hours a day, as well as having 1 day a week where I don’t eat as much as usual.

I think that you can train yourself to not be too affected by hunger. In fact you could lose weight by still eating regularly without feeling hungry.

If I eat a meal at 8pm I won’t eat again until 12pm onwards the next day ... I am doing this now. I drink plenty of water, some coffee with minimal milk, usually at work but today I’ll keep busy until 1ish then eat again at 6pm as I am off work.

You often find that you are thirsty and not hungry but your body does adjust to a new ‘timetable’ of when it expects food.

I put 3lbs on and went back up to 22st 12 after a massive drink and shit food binge last Saturday to Monday. Got back on the diet from Tuesday and climbed Wansfell in the Lakes yesterday. That absolutely killed me but its the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. Burned around 3,500kcal and the pint of toffee apple cider at the Mortal Man Inn was the best I've ever tasted. 9.48 miles walked in total.

Had a nice sauna and a brisk walk through Herrington park today. Going to have a chicken kebab with salad as a bit of a reward tomorrow evening then weigh in Sunday morning. My legs are shot to bits from the climb but it isn't half rewarding.

I put 3lbs on and went back up to 22st 12 after a massive drink and shit food binge last Saturday to Monday. Got back on the diet from Tuesday and climbed Wansfell in the Lakes yesterday. That absolutely killed me but its the most physically demanding thing I have ever done. Burned around 3,500kcal and the pint of toffee apple cider at the Mortal Man Inn was the best I've ever tasted. 9.48 miles walked in total.

Had a nice sauna and a brisk walk through Herrington park today. Going to have a chicken kebab with salad as a bit of a reward tomorrow evening then weigh in Sunday morning. My legs are shot to bits from the climb but it isn't half rewarding.
Well done but you are in the wrong mindset imho.

Don’t plan or record small units over a short time. 3 days, 3lbs is inconsequential if you are planning over weeks or months.

Then you burned off x amount of cals but rewarded yourself with a pint. That is a massive mistake even though it’s enjoyable. People think that they have burned x calories, great, let’s put back in y calories!

I’m not saying that you can’t ever drink cider again but I would have a ponder about your weight loss strategy.

Last edited:
Well done but you are in the wrong mindset imho.

Don’t plan or record small units over a short time. 3 days, 3lbs is inconsequential if you are planning over weeks or months.

Then you burned off x amount of cals but rewarded yourself with a pint. That is a massive mistake even though it’s enjoyable. People think that they have burned x calories, great, let’s put back in y calories!

I’m not saying that you can’t ever drink cider again but I would have a ponder about your weight loss strategy.

I don't eat or drink shit normally mate. I'd say maybe twice a month at most I'll have a sup or some shit food. For the main I'm still eating well and keeping the exercise up. 1,500-1,700 calories is my usual days scoff then I aim for 3 times a week at the gym. I weigh myself seriously for recording purposes once a week or every two weeks.

I burned 3,000 calories and consumed 3,000 on Thursday. A pint was well deserved imo.

Last edited:
I’ve dropped 2kg in the last 4 weeks having massively upped my training intensity. Put about 10-15kg on all three main lifts in the 3-5 rep range during that time as well.

Not intentional at all I might add.

Back