Three dead after caravan travels wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.

People over 60 should be banned from driving.

So should the under 20s until they learn a bit common sense.

First time they get done for speeding within two years of passing their test, they should automatically lose their licence and be made to take the test again.

Also after passing their test, they should replace their L plates with very distinctive P for provisional plates for the first two years.

People over 60 should be banned from driving.

too true or at least given another test

My dad (no) is in his late 70s now and still drives he has shit eyesight and really bad knees due to arthritis but all we had to do to get him anew licence was fill in a form ?

its just crazy ..... luckily enough the furthest he drives now is my mother to the shops and back

With the retirement age at 65 and soon to rise, that'd mean we'd need massive changes to our public transport systems and infrastructure just to ensure that a large proportion of the workforce can get to and from work, never mind the extra public transport required for those already retired.

Sounds brilliant! Scrap the subsidies on fuel duty and plough that cash into alternatives to private car usage.

Test to be taken every 10 years practical and theory, then every 5 years after the age of 70. You will be graded in to bands from 1 to 5, 1 being the best and 5 resulting in loss of your licence, you have to submit your test results to your insurance company, thus showing your driving capabilities and your insurance price will be set accordingly.

So should the under 20s until they learn a bit common sense.

First time they get done for speeding within two years of passing their test, they should automatically lose their licence and be made to take the test again.

Also after passing their test, they should replace their L plates with very distinctive P for provisional plates for the first two years.
You get a 2 year probation period after passing your test. 6 points and your licence is gone. So aside from getting another chance what you propose happens anyway.

Don't see what difference fitting P plates would make. So other drivers can see you're a new driver... what difference should that make to how anyone else drives?

Funny how a thread about an old fella killing himself and two others by driving the wrong way down a motorway has started being peppered with posts about bad young drivers are.

My dad (no) is in his late 70s now and still drives he has shit eyesight and really bad knees due to arthritis but all we had to do to get him anew licence was fill in a form ?

its just crazy ..... luckily enough the furthest he drives now is my mother to the shops and back

He has a legal obligation to declare any medical conditions that affect his fitness to drive.

His renewal forms will have had a section for this so no excuse of not knowing on his part.

Get the old sod told if he's a danger.

Not bait at all. People over 60 should not be allowed to drive a 2 ton vehicle imo.

Sorry if that triggers you.
At the age of 63 my driving is a damn sight better than a lot of the young fools I see on the road. I regularly drive a 2 tonne plus vehicle too and have only ever been involved in one accident - not my fault, a 21 year old drove into the back of me because he hadn't seen that every vehicle in front of him was at a standstill. Maybe we should ban everyone over the age of 20?

Tends to be the norm, I know of atleast 3 cases of shockingly bad drivers passing their test first time.
We have a daughter who passed first time 10 years ago . She has not driven since, too nervous . The oldest one also past first time but has driven ever since . She is still crap though . It took me 5 attempts to pass mine and I am the perfect driver .:)

do you not think you should be speaking up, having a conversation with him or taking some proactive steps to ensure he is ok to drive?

distance he drives, doesn't make a bit of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back