Three dead after caravan travels wrong way

Saw footage of this earlier (not the crash but the car/caravan going through avoiding traffic). There are a lot of questions that need asking regarding the elderly and retaking of driving tests.
I do think that it needs to happen. Your reflexes and eyesight, never mind other things.

However, there are plenty young drivers who are just as bloody dangerous on the roads.

The standard of driving has become terrible over the last 10 years or so.

Seen exactly this ten year back. Heading to the match n an elderly couple were flying onto the a19 north in the wrong direction.
Terrifying.

I do think that it needs to happen. Your reflexes and eyesight, never mind other things.

However, there are plenty young drivers who are just as bloody dangerous on the roads.

Agreed. Obviously, younger drivers are dangerous for different reasons. Some of it is that the number of cars on our roads continues to grow. I think a lot of bad driving from younger drivers can stem from impatience.

Three dead in wrong-way M40 caravan crash

Tragic, driver in his 80s towing a caravan aswell

I've seen the footage. Mental fucker shouldn't have been driving at all.
Why didn't he just stop on the hard shoulder rather than ploughing on THE WRONG WAY down a motorway?!

Agreed. Obviously, younger drivers are dangerous for different reasons. Some of it is that the number of cars on our roads continues to grow. I think a lot of bad driving from younger drivers can stem from impatience.

That and self importance

Saw footage of this earlier (not the crash but the car/caravan going through avoiding traffic). There are a lot of questions that need asking regarding the elderly and retaking of driving tests.

To be honest, it might not be a bad idea if everyone was made to take a test every 5 years or so.
Granted not as harshly marked as the initial test - then again that depended on who you got - but still a test to try and keep a lid on bad driving habits

Last edited:
Why didn't he just stop on the hard shoulder rather than ploughing on THE WRONG WAY down a motorway?!

That and self importance

To be honest, it might not be a bad idea if everyone was made to take a test every 5 years or so.
Granted not as harshly marked as the initial test - then again that depended on who you got - but still a test to try and keep a lid on bad driving habits
Regardless of age if you're all up top the cars heading towards you is the clue
i went the wrong way twice in a Spain on very confusing junctions ,as said the cars coming towards you sort out any confusion quite quick

Regardless of age if you're all up top the cars heading towards you is the clue
i went the wrong way twice in a Spain on very confusing junctions ,as said the cars coming towards you sort out any confusion quite quick

That's what I'd have thought. Slow down/stop whilst trying to get to the hard shoulder then, er, go from there (figuratively, not actually).

Not on the same scale, but recently saw someone turn right at the end of wessy way to get onto queen Alex bridge instead of going around the one way system. Thankfully it wasn't busy otherwise there would've been a nasty crash.

That and self importance

Even the worst driver can blag it for 1/2 hr. I’d like to see a medical/computer/reaction test done every few years

Even the worst driver can blag it for 1/2 hr. I’d like to see a medical/computer/reaction test done every few years

Not a bad idea. Dread to think how much that would cost
Considering the standard of driving over here compared to other countries, it's a good job things like this don't happen every day.
But that doesn't mean they should happen at all as they are almost totally preventable

There needs to be a test every 10 years.
Then within a few months of your 65th birthday. Then every year from 70

Seen a video on FB earlier of this but assumed it was an old video as it was time stamped 2015

Stupid old kernt

I thought that too but think it was year first, then month then day (18/06/15)

Surely regardless of how competent you are and whatever country you are in, you'd realise you were on the wrong side of the motorway, without having to travel 5/6 miles like it sounds was the case

Not a bad idea. Dread to think how much that would cost
Considering the standard of driving over here compared to other countries, it's a good job things like this don't happen every day.
But that doesn't mean they should happen at all as they are almost totally preventable
When you have people involved you will always have failure. The people I see getting out of cars and hardly even able to walk. How are legs that barely work able to push a brake quickly? People who can’t judge parking at 2 mph, how can they navigate safely through traffic at 50? It frightens me watching some people and the general standards must be very low and I doubt these people would pass these tests.

When you have people involved you will always have failure. The people I see getting out of cars and hardly even able to walk. How are legs that barely work able to push a brake quickly? People who can’t judge parking at 2 mph, how can they navigate safely through traffic at 50? It frightens me watching some people and the general standards must be very low and I doubt these people would pass these tests.

I'd never want to take someone's liberty from them, but surely common sense has to kick in at some point

My stepdad has just given up driving at the age of seventy due to recognising that his eyesight isn't what it was. Some selfish buggers would just carry on.

Back