Three dead after caravan travels wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saw footage of this earlier (not the crash but the car/caravan going through avoiding traffic). There are a lot of questions that need asking regarding the elderly and retaking of driving tests.
Tin hat/s in here...but should everyone not have to sit a driving test every ten year.Would naturally increase driving standards.Its easy to get into bad habits that would be a failure on your test and difficult to "suddenly" lose them for your test.
The country would need extra driving test/lesson instructors so more jobs.The govnmt would get extra revenue that should(but would it?) be put into roads.
Its madness you can pass a test at 17 and never be tested again..you just need to look at the posts on here to see what people think about the general standard of driving.

Agreed. Obviously, younger drivers are dangerous for different reasons. Some of it is that the number of cars on our roads continues to grow. I think a lot of bad driving from younger drivers can stem from impatience.

More traffic means cars travel slower.

Empty roads encourage excessive speed.

Tin hat/s in here...but should everyone not have to sit a driving test every ten year.Would naturally increase driving standards.Its easy to get into bad habits that would be a failure on your test and difficult to "suddenly" lose them for your test.
The country would need extra driving test/lesson instructors so more jobs.The govnmt would get extra revenue that should(but would it?) be put into roads.
Its madness you can pass a test at 17 and never be tested again..you just need to look at the posts on here to see what people think about the general standard of driving.

There should be regular tests, agreed. It also seems daft that until June this year, learners were passing their tests and then going out on moyorways with no training in motorway driving.

On the other hand, I'm not sure a driving test could legislate for someone managing to get down an exit road on to a motorway and then keep driving at 60mph against the traffic.

Not bait at all. People over 60 should not be allowed to drive a 2 ton vehicle imo.

Sorry if that triggers you.

With the retirement age at 65 and soon to rise, that'd mean we'd need massive changes to our public transport systems and infrastructure just to ensure that a large proportion of the workforce can get to and from work, never mind the extra public transport required for those already retired.

Does your dad drive?
No, he's dead. If he did, then yes I would. His eyesight was shot to shit after aged 50 and he had the reflexes of a dead cat. Then there's the possibilty he could have a stroke/heart attack/anurism/random blackout at the wheel. He was unsafe to drive past 60, and I'd argue that most people are.

Difficult to argue with that.
It’s easier taking away their right to drive than giving the bad news to those families they are destroying by poor driving.As is giving them a custodial sentence.
I’ve seen the fall out from bad drivers and the failings of the elderly behind the wheel probably more than most have. I’ve been out to dozens of crashes where older people driving automatic cars drive over people, walls, flower planters etc and most cause injury of some sort ( old people don’t bounce very well) . I must add, it’s not just an age thing but I think it’s a massive contributor.
A lad at work had been driving his car using reading glasses for years. He went to the opticians who told him to stop driving until his new gegs arrived. He didn’t, he just went and bought stronger readers! The lads a GP!

With the retirement age at 65 and soon to rise, that'd mean we'd need massive changes to our public transport systems and infrastructure just to ensure that a large proportion of the workforce can get to and from work, never mind the extra public transport required for those already retired.
We sure would.

To be honest, it might not be a bad idea if everyone was made to take a test every 5 years or so.
Granted not as harshly marked as the initial test - then again that depended on who you got - but still a test to try and keep a lid on bad driving habits

I agree with that, maybe not a test but a refresher course every 10 years maybe when you have to update your license. My dad's in his 70s and still a competent driver so don't agree with a retest for everyone but like you say it can throw up bad habits that are picked up over the years. Then of it does throw up anything mega dangerous their license is obvs taken off them

No one gives a shit anymore is the main problem I find. Those who drive like idiots probably haven't got a license or insurance so just don't care, they'll just get anoyher £100 banger the next day.

Last edited:
I agree with that, maybe not a test but a refresher course every 10 years maybe when you have to update your license. My dad's in his 70s and still a competent driver so don't agree with a retest for everyone but like you say it can throw up bad habits that are picked up over the years. Then of it does throw up anything mega dangerous their license is obvs taken off them

No one gives a shit anymore is the main problem I find. Those who drive like idiots probably haven't got a license or insurance so just don't care, they'll just get anoyher £100 banger the next day.

Ban them from driving
Still drive and get caught again?
£1000 fine, curfew with ankle tag and suspended sentence.
Drive AGAIN?!
Prison/Crime Island

It’s easier taking away their right to drive than giving the bad news to those families they are destroying by poor driving.As is giving them a custodial sentence.
I’ve seen the fall out from bad drivers and the failings of the elderly behind the wheel probably more than most have. I’ve been out to dozens of crashes where older people driving automatic cars drive over people, walls, flower planters etc and most cause injury of some sort ( old people don’t bounce very well) . I must add, it’s not just an age thing but I think it’s a massive contributor.
A lad at work had been driving his car using reading glasses for years. He went to the opticians who told him to stop driving until his new gegs arrived. He didn’t, he just went and bought stronger readers! The lads a GP!

Never try and tell a GP anything about anything medical :lol:

My ex used to use reading glasses for driving . She passed her test 1st time and was the crappest most terrifying driver I've ever been in a car with .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back