Three dead after caravan travels wrong way

If everybody on here was made to do an I.Q., test and all those with below average intelligence were banned from driving all those who think people over 60 should be banned would find themselves without a license . (they'd still be stupid enough to drive though)

Not a bad idea. Dread to think how much that would cost
Considering the standard of driving over here compared to other countries, it's a good job things like this don't happen every day.
But that doesn't mean they should happen at all as they are almost totally preventable

Mandatory to be tested for reactions, hearing and eyesight plus general level pf gaga-ness at 70 in Spain and then (I think) every couple of years dependent on medical conditions.

The majority of road accidents involve people between the ages of 20 and 39 according to statistics released last year - perhaps it is those people who should who should have their driving skills re-examined regularly ?

Indeed.

It takes many drivers up to twenty years experience on the roads before they begin to use a bit of common sense and realise that roads weren’t built exclusively for their own personal use.

You get a 2 year probation period after passing your test. 6 points and your licence is gone. So aside from getting another chance what you propose happens anyway.

Don't see what difference fitting P plates would make. So other drivers can see you're a new driver... what difference should that make to how anyone else drives?

Funny how a thread about an old fella killing himself and two others by driving the wrong way down a motorway has started being peppered with posts about bad young drivers are.

We'd like to have got our retaliation in first, but weren't quick enough.

The majority of road accidents involve people between the ages of 20 and 39 according to statistics released last year - perhaps it is those people who should who should have their driving skills re-examined regularly ?
I think you should have retests, especially for those over 60 and within 5 (or 3) years of passing your test.

I took my first lesson the day after my 17th birthday (end of June), spent the summer driving my mam about, then had passed my test by the middle of September. That was under the license where after 2.5 months of driving I was qualified to drive a bus with a trailer! At that point, I had never driven in anything but sunny weather and I think I had only been out at night one or twice.

I could have not driven for 10 years after that and still been classed as safe and legal to jump into a car and get onto the motorway. That seems like madness to me.

I had to have another test and training a few years later to be able to drive the Student Union minibus at Uni, then again for one job another 10 years after that. Both times I passed, but both times they picked up on bad habits, which I since tried to correct.

You would need something like a 3 strikes and you are out, so you would not have someone who drove every day, had one bad day and lost their license, but I think it would increase driving standards. If nothing else, the follow up test could concentrate on being courteous to other drivers, why indicating in advance just generally helps other people etc. When you first pass your test, you are still spending half your time concentrating on getting the pedals and gear stick in the right place at the right time.

Saw footage of this earlier (not the crash but the car/caravan going through avoiding traffic). There are a lot of questions that need asking regarding the elderly and retaking of driving tests.
Have said the same thing. There needs to be a recurring test annually for anyone over 70 imo. It doesnt' have to be as stringent as the standard one, but checks their suitability on things like reactions, road understandings, etc.

Have said the same thing. There needs to be a recurring test annually for anyone over 70 imo. It doesnt' have to be as stringent as the standard one, but checks their suitability on things like reactions, road understandings, etc.
Can't see a problem with this. Much more sensible than 'anyone over the age of x'. At 70 his paper round had taken it's toll on my Granda and there's no way he'd have been fit to drive. At the same age my mate's da is still playing 5-a-side. Take it on a case by case basis.

I think if it were a standard resit of the full driving test you'd get a load of "I've been driving for 50 years, why do I need to resit this test now". My other Granda drove in the army and then refused to take a test when he left. I remember him driving all over when I was a kid but only found out a few year ago he never sat a proper test :eek:

If everybody on here was made to do an I.Q., test and all those with below average intelligence were banned from driving all those who think people over 60 should be banned would find themselves without a license . (they'd still be stupid enough to drive though)

If you needed an I.Q. Test for this board , the place would shut down .

When I first lived in Spain and swapped my UK car licence for a Spanish one, it was four years before the local cops told me I was licensed to drive anything on the road from a Bus to an HGV or Mobile Crane.

Driving down the A1 Sunday night, think it was near Grantham area, twice saw a sign caution pedestrians crossing. Who would be mad enough to cross four lanes of fast non stop traffic in the dark?

I was driving back down to York on the A19 after we'd beaten Wolves 5-2 at the SOL under Bruce a few year back. Got close to the junction to turn off and saw a car coming towards me on my side of the carriageway. There wasn't any other cars around me so I just stayed in the left had lane while ringing the police and he went past me. Later found out that it crashed head on with another car. Luckily everyone survived. Turned out it was an 87 year bloke.

do you not think you should be speaking up, having a conversation with him or taking some proactive steps to ensure he is ok to drive?

distance he drives, doesn't make a bit of difference.
This

When my son was only a couple of weeks old, my wife had a very near miss with an old bloke who couldn’t see that the traffic lights were red. He was close to him going full pelt into the side of the car my son was on. Police were called and apparently it wasn’t the first time he’d done something like that.

*Licence.

Indeed.

It takes many drivers up to twenty years experience on the roads before they begin to use a bit of common sense and realise that roads weren’t built exclusively for their own personal use.
Probably longer given the amount of cars that tailgate me for doing 30 in a 30.

Back