Three dead after caravan travels wrong way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye because my age alone is a clear indication of your ability to drive. :lol:

You can't even use logical reasoning when posting on a football forum man, how the fuck am I to trust you with a 2-ton motor vehicle traveling at 100mph?
Now who'se using insults and why would I be driving at 100mph. (It's travelling with a double l by the way). I suspect you have no idea of "logical reasoning" or you wouldn't be making comments like that as your age is a clue (logically) to your belief that "everyone over 60 should be banned"

PS - off out now as I've much better things to do. Looking forward to a sensible and well reasoned response when I get back.

You would have thought that these days it would be easy to set up some sort of simulator test which would tests things such as reaction/judgement and combine that with test of road understanding etc. No real need for a full test and it could be repeated reliably and tested regularly at relatively low cost. So maybe do it once a year once you reach retirement age - pass and you keep your licence, fail and you lose it and have to do a full re-test to qualify again?
Exactly. It doesn’t need to be the full shabang, but a low cost test like you say.

I love how all the over 60's are getting angry and throwing insults. It says a lot about your mental state when your first instinct is to get angry. This is exactly why you shouldn't be on the road without extensive tests.

Unfortunately it’s mainly younger drivers who have anger management issues and occasionally a competitive nature as described above and as is borne out by statistics.

The majority of older drivers have learned from long experience to cast such negative characteristics aside.

Now who'se using insults and why would I be driving at 100mph. (It's travelling with a double l by the way). I suspect you have no idea of "logical reasoning" or you wouldn't be making comments like that as your age is a clue (logically) to your belief that "everyone over 60 should be banned"

PS - off out now as I've much better things to do. Looking forward to a sensible and well reasoned response when I get back.
You want sensible and well reasoned? Well why didn't just say so! :p

Ok, well seeing as there are a lot more under 60 drivers on the road than over 60's, statistics alone won't cut it, so let's look at the facts of getting old..

Eyesight
For every decade past age 25, drivers need twice the brightness to see properly, therefore by age 75 some drivers may need 32 times the brightness they did at age 25. Older drivers are also more susceptible to glare and take longer to recover from being dazzled. Recovery time from glare increases from average two seconds at age 15 to nine seconds at age 65.

Hearing
Hearing begins to deteriorate slightly from age 30-40, and the rate of deterioration increases as you get older. By the age of 80 most people have significant hearing problems.

Movement
Older people often suffer joint and muscle stiffness, which may affect how easily they can turn their head and body to look round when reversing or checking blind spots.

General Health
Drivers with certain chronic illnesses, such as diabetes and heart disease, are at higher risk of causing crashes. These illnesses are more common in older people. Older people are also more at risk from dementia, which severely impairs driving as the disease progresses, although driving impairment may not be apparent in the early stages.

Medicines
As various health conditions become more prevalent with age, many older drivers will be taking over-the-counter or prescription medication. Many medications can impair driving, for example by causing drowsiness and affecting concentration

Older drivers are over-represented in crashes at junctions, and more likely to be involved in “failed to look” crashes. This is thought to be because older drivers are less able to judge the speed of oncoming vehicles, and may also be due to problems with eyesight and reduced visual field.

Source
Older drivers - Brake the road safety charity

Now, obviously, this isn't indicative of all drivers. Some people are just shit drivers and stupid, regardless of age. But, take a shit stupid driver and add 60 years to the kernt and you have a timebomb waiting to blow up on some poor fucker like the fella in the OP.

I do think that it needs to happen. Your reflexes and eyesight, never mind other things.

However, there are plenty young drivers who are just as bloody dangerous on the roads.

The standard of driving has become terrible over the last 10 years or so.

Grey hair, beware...wears a skirt, be alert

My Granda's 86 and still drives like. Drives the same car the owld fella crashed in the story too, oddly enough.
He doesn't drive a great deal like, just to run folk over here and there as required.
As required, eh.

What would you have recommended they do?
Why don't you tell us what powers they have.

It might help me the next time I'm pulled over by some uniformed idiot who's been trying to ram me up the backside for two miles in an effort of get me to react.

Last edited:
As required, eh.

Why don't you tell us what powers they have.

It might help me the next time I'm pulled over by some uniformed idiot who's been trying to ram me up the backside for two miles in an effort of get me to react.
No you seem to have the answers. Why not tell everyone what was done so wrong

No you seem to have the answers. Why not tell everyone what was done so wrong
You appear to be admitting that you don't know what powers you actually legally have rather than merely claiming that you have when you're trying to misuse your position and throw your weight around.

Why am I not surprised.

You appear to be admitting that you don't know what powers you actually legally have rather than merely claiming that you have when you're trying to misuse your position and throw your weight around.

Why am I not surprised.
I do know but as mentioned you stuck your head above the parapet to claim they should have done something....why not just post what they should have done?

I've seen the footage. Mental fucker shouldn't have been driving at all.
Why didn't he just stop on the hard shoulder rather than ploughing on THE WRONG WAY down a motorway?!

That and self importance

To be honest, it might not be a bad idea if everyone was made to take a test every 5 years or so.
Granted not as harshly marked as the initial test - then again that depended on who you got - but still a test to try and keep a lid on bad driving habits
It’s the right idea, but who would re-test the drivers. Waiting lists for the current driving test are ridiculous at some centres and there just isn’t the resources to deal with millions of extra tests. Something like a passplus style course wouldn’t really work as most drivers wouldn’t appreciate advice on how to improve their current skills.

Stupid? Arrogant?

You're the one that thinks, at 60, he's as safe a driver he's ever been. If that's not stupid and arrogant then idk what is.

Where did you get that impression from? I admitted my faculties may be dulled but said I've modified my driving accordingly to compensate. That's not what you say I said.

But no matter. I'm old enough not to get drawn into an argument on the Internet with a hothead young'un any more.

Judging by the premiums they charge, the insurance companies clearly have no doubt which age group is by far the greatest risk.

Most of you will be old one day and hopefully a bit wiser.

Data released by Gov.uk last year (2016), shows that drivers aged 20–29 pose the most risk on our roads.
With dramatically higher figures than any other age group, drivers in their twenties were involved in 20,841 road incidents of all severities – considerably higher than any other age group and drastically greater than road incidents of all severities involving drivers aged 70–79 (3,254) and road incidents involving drivers aged 80 and over (1,939.)

Logon or register to see this image

Judging by the premiums they charge, the insurance companies clearly have no doubt which age group is by far the greatest risk.

Most of you will be old one day and hopefully a bit wiser.

First sentence: QED.
Second sentence: I hope they live to get wiser. Feckin' young'uns. ;)

Data released by Gov.uk last year (2016), shows that drivers aged 20–29 pose the most risk on our roads.
With dramatically higher figures than any other age group, drivers in their twenties were involved in 20,841 road incidents of all severities – considerably higher than any other age group and drastically greater than road incidents of all severities involving drivers aged 70–79 (3,254) and road incidents involving drivers aged 80 and over (1,939.)

60 - 69 age group is particularly interesting. Hmmmmm........

Stats don't cut it. There are a LOT more drivers under 60 on the road so obviously stats will reflect that.

Mind, I'm not saying 20 year olds in hot-hatches are safe drivers. Not at all. They're far more reckless and likely to break speed limits than owld fuckers.

IMO all drivers should be held more accountable and tests should be a lot harder. Any braindead fucker can pass a driving test. I did.

I don't think over 60's should be banned either, I may have been a tad harsh there, but they're definitely a danger on the roads and should be tested more often.

You can’t go using facts to back up a well reasoned argument.

Is that adjusted for number of drivers and number of miles driven? If not, it doesn't really support the argument you're making.

20-29 year olds are involved in 161 deaths, drivers over 80 are involved in 56 deaths, about a third of the young 'uns total. But if there are far fewer drivers over eighty driving than drivers in their twenties, and they are driving far fewer miles, both of which are almost certainly the case, drivers over 80 will be more dangerous by far. The only reason they're causing fewer deaths is that there are fewer on the road, not that they are safer as individuals. Looking at those figures, they're almost certainly more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back