The worst game at the SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

0-0 draw against Stoke in the 09/10 season was absolutely tragic. Certain it was a Monday night game
Was that the one when cattermole was having a go at dean whitehead after he put a sly challenge in (think it was whitehead) which was about the only memorable thing from the game

We drew 0-0 with Fulham at home on a Sunday and it's the worst game I've been to. Can't remember a shot on target for either team but Zamora hit the bar towards the end

That's the one

I came down with one of those awful 24 hour stomach bugs that morning and couldn't go to that match , however I made my husband and lads go so I could lie on the sofa and feel ill in peace - do I feel guilty? Absolutely not :)

so so many

the ones under thick mick were torture having made such a pigs ear of a title winning side into a total joke

MON everton at home was a sickener

Norwich at home where lens was just standing still moaning

villa home, palace at home

a few of the 0-1 games v villa- they were utter pap both times and we never even tried to attack them, then came cattermoles screw up for agbonlahor

I've become an expert over the last few seasons at mentally blocking out the really shite games , either that or there have been that many that they all blur into one !
My list
The Portsmouth game 2005 , just awful and Kelvin Davies may as well have left that day as after that he was finished at the club
19 point season Fulham and ManCity , both awful games , rotten atmosphere.
So many to choose from I know but every time this subject comes up these three games creep back to haunt me .

I was away for the Stoke monday night game in 09/10 and was watching it in a pub with Stoke fan. The landlord said at half time he was putting the other game on (man utd i think) and we were pleased because it was so shit.

The MON Norwich game aswell. Still baffles me how he wasnt sacked that afternoon.

Every home game last season

That 1-4 loss to Arsenal sticks out in my mind, we were f***ing garbage, it was on TV too and when their third goal went in the place emptied like the fire alarm had gone off, the highlights (such as they were) looked embarrassing.

Twas the first time that I had seen Arsenal in the flesh, Sanchez is a f***ing pussy, he's a right diving cheat. Shame, great player.

That 20 minute period against Crystal Palace when we conceded 4 I think.

Special mention to the game v Hull when Wes Brown was sent off after 3 minutes. Knew we were facing 87 minutes of shite and sure enough....0-2

God, where do I start?
How about this for the oldies.
(I know it isn't from the SoL, but what the hell!)

Wednesday 15 April 1970.
Last home match of the season.
We needed to beat Liverpool to stay up.
Liverpool had nothing to play for and actually tried to let us win.
We were so shite that after 86 minutes they put us out of our misery when Chris Lawler scored.
33,007 went there in hope and left in despair.
The team actually contained five of the cup winning team, although you would never have known it from their performance that night.

(Thanks to The Stat Cat for the details although the overall horror is indelibly etched on my soul)
Liverpool tried their hardest to let us win.

Abysmal.

That was quite an entertaining match ,not the best quality but certainly not boring
We were desperately unlucky. Think bent hit the bar from a free kick, it came down, hit the post and it rolled along the goal line to the keeper??

Was so optimistic at half time. Was a naive 15 year old thinking I was finally going to see us beat them. Obviously we turned back into Sunderland for the 2nd half. Stead's cross for Hoyte was delightful if I remember

Last edited:
There's not enough time, or motivation, for me to trawl through the memories of some of the turgid dogshit performances I've had to endure to pick a favourite. Reading some of the ones already posted has depressed me enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back