The worst game at the SOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the badness of that game is wildly exaggerated. Particularly in comparison to others.

There's been more than one post in here that's mentioned this game and said the score was 0-0 rather than 1-1, so it appears you are right.

The 1-3 loss against them at the start of the season under Advocaat was worse. Steven Whittaker sauntering up the right wing and into the box to score was grim.

Drove down from Glasgow in the morning and home straight from the match on me own for the hammering we got from Hull on boxing day in a dreadful 1L rental Corsa. That was probably my personal low point.

Seem to remember York in the league cup being such a boring game people around me started to read the paper.

There's a few that stick out but to pick one that's not been mentioned yet - 0-3 vs Fulham during one of Bruce's late season collapses

The defeat to QPR when they hadn't got a point away from home was the first that sprung to mind. Along with that Norwich game under MON when we played the whole game against 10 and could only equalise via a dodgy pen.

There was also a couple of home games in quick succession under McCarthy in the Championship that were tragic. Both 0-0's against Cardiff and Rotherham IIRC.

always remember Derby at home......awful game throughout yet we won in last minute through Stokes from close range :eek: Was a horrific game to watch if I remember rightly....last season some beauties in there also mind !

There's been more than one post in here that's mentioned this game and said the score was 0-0 rather than 1-1, so it appears you are right.

The 1-3 loss against them at the start of the season under Advocaat was worse. Steven Whittaker sauntering up the right wing and into the box to score was grim.

was like the whole team other than watmore as a sub were drugged or wilfully trying to lose

that goal u mentioned Cattermole and pva (who were an utter disgrace in that period) just casually strolled back as he scored

There's a few that stick out but to pick one that's not been mentioned yet - 0-3 vs Fulham during one of Bruce's late season collapses

aye when he played onhua up front

Villa under gus
Norwich under dick
Wigan under Bruce
Boro under sgt wilko

There's probably worse like but they come to mind for me.
Wigan under Keane in the cup. I was hungover, freezing cold and we were utter shite. The Notts County game under Bruce was awful too.

Have to say MoN's safc vs Norwich was a disgrace but moyes safc vs Swansea was right up there. The Bolton game after which Keane ran away was awful. Given his reputation ( alleged ) for ensuring players worked hard it was right up there for showing he didn't have a clue.
Big reputations but shite managers for us.

New Years Day 2002 against Villa.

Apart from Arca we played shite. It was Martin O'Neill bad before Martin O'Neill, but their little Baldy left back just absolutely tortured us all day. He was the first player at the SOL I'd seen just totally dominate a game by himself. Can't remember his name.. Alan something. He was tiny, bald as a coot. Yae nar who I mean. Fast as fuck. He was like Roberto Carlos that day. We went a goal down and it just dragged on and on for 90 minutes of us being shite and Alan Baldycoot torturing us. I think we scored late on somehow and got a 1-1, but the reason it was so bad was the f***ing COOOOOLD jesus christ me toes. It must've been -6c but in them seats it felt like -50. I'm pretty sure I was minutes away from losing several toes. Total agony in my feet for the whole 90 minutes almost to the point of tears. Stayed for the final whistle (I'm never an early leaver), but, I promised myself I'll never again go to a New Years Day game unless it's either warm or it's the mags. That's how bad it was.

Alan f***ing Wright.

I remember one midweek on a Tuesday, I think it was Stokes debut, finished 0-0 and was one of the worst games I've witnessed. Think it was against Cardiff or Birmingham but may be wrong.

The own goal fest against Charlton......I've seen many dull games and horrible defeats but that just summed up the utter despair at the time.
This one for me. Even the most upbeat of SAFC supporters left dejected that day. The feeling of resignation was palpable. I even witnessed fans jostling with the stewards because they wouldn't open the doors before half time.

Have to say MoN's safc vs Norwich was a disgrace but moyes safc vs Swansea was right up there. The Bolton game after which Keane ran away was awful. Given his reputational ( alleged ) for ensuring players worked hard it was right up there for showing he didn't have a clue.
Big reputations but shite managers for us.
Was that Bolton game a 4-1 defeat? It was one of the coldest games I've ever been to iirc. Mind I remember I had proper flu, worst I've ever had either before or since. I dragged myself off my deathbed for that shite. Johan Elmander took the piss out of us. Elmander ffs!

0-0 home to Swindon in 1997.

Only 27,553 there for a league game. I was sat in Row 11 in the East Stand and the 10 rows in our block in front of us were literally empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back