The Super spoilery Star Wars : The Last Jedi spoilers thread *don't even put your mouse over it*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main thing that pissed me off was Snoke. Imo he was the most interesting character, who was he? Where was he from? How did he meet Kylo?
How come he was so force powerful? And how the fuck could he not sense that lightsaber stirring right next to him ffs?!
When he'd just spent 10 mins literally toying with Rey, and basically spent the movie manipulating her and Ren into skyping each other across the galaxy, he was that powerful yet couldn't sense Kylo wanting to cut him in half!

Rian Johnson basically made Leia into Mary Poppins.
Luke it a grumpy old kernt who milks tits.
Chewbacca eats a space penguin and flies about a bit.
Oh and Phasma was still shite.

Absolutely shoddy writing imo.

Now this is spot on. I have no problem with a female lead and ethnic minorities, and a female admiral and all of that. The actual set up for the story could work if done right. But wasn’t done right at all.

I started to enjoy it a lot more in the last 30-40 minutes when
Laura Dern smashed up the battle cruiser
but they still created story problems for themselves and the ending for Luke was a bit of a cop out

Total Recall
Point Break
RoboCop
Justice League
Batman Vs Superman
Suicide Squad
Day of the Dead (2008)
Halloween
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Clash of the Titans
Die Hard 4
Die Hard 5
Arthur
Stepford Wives
Assault on Precinct 13
Conan the Barbarian
Fame
Alfie
Get Carter
The Italian Job
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Ladykillers
Carrie
The Wicker Man
Evil Dead
Fantastic Four
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Independence Day Resurgence
Red Dawn
The Pink Panther
The Mummy
Dirty Dancing
Footloose
Invasion
The Fog
Rollerball
Poseidon
Around the World in 80 Days
The Omen
The Hitcher
Amityville Horror
Mr Deeds
Longest Yard
Poltergeist
Fright Night
Manchurian Candidate
Straw Dogs
The Hills Have Eyes
The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Thing
Old Boy
Assault on precinct 13 had prominent black actors and strong female characters.

We’re watching Charlie and the chocolate factory now. Unless it was rebranded as Charlene and the indigenous South American cocoa growers I cannot see much that could have been altered.

Assault on precinct 13 had prominent black actors and strong female characters.

We’re watching Charlie and the chocolate factory now. Unless it was rebranded as Charlene and the indigenous South American cocoa growers I cannot see much that could have been altered.

I said “more” - Assault on Precinct had prominent black and female roles in the original. My point was that shit remakes and sequels that don’t change the original’s level of ethnic minority and/or female representation have passed by without comment, even though they are ten times as bad as the films the broflakes are staining the mattress about

I said “more” - Assault on Precinct had prominent black and female roles in the original. My point was that shit remakes and sequels that don’t change the original’s level of ethnic minority and/or female representation have passed by without comment, even though they are ten times as bad as the films the broflakes are staining the mattress about
I think I understand your point but I just watch a film hoping for a decent plot and acting.

Although there did seem to be quite a lot of Indian and black female Jedi knights in episodes I, II and III. Perhaps it reflected the demographic of coruscant relatively accurately.

If you're going to make a massive point out of casting only women in a remake of a film, and that film turns out to be shit, you've done nowt but made a rod for your own back.

Take Ghostbusters - if they'd casted it even handed, about 50/50 and said "its just modernising it", nobody would have given a shit (beyond people with a slightly unhinged attachment to the original and also utter bellends as per star wars etc).
But no, that's not good enough, these people have to hammer the point and place themselves square in the cross hairs.

Now this is spot on. I have no problem with a female lead and ethnic minorities, and a female admiral and all of that. The actual set up for the story could work if done right. But wasn’t done right at all.

I started to enjoy it a lot more in the last 30-40 minutes when
Laura Dern smashed up the battle cruiser
but they still created story problems for themselves and the ending for Luke was a bit of a cop out
Don't get me started on the whole chase farce! If the first order are tracking every movement of the resistance, how come they don't jump into hyperspace just in front of them to cut them off? Convenient for the sake of the story, they're always just behind them.

If you're going to make a massive point out of casting only women in a remake of a film, and that film turns out to be shit, you've done nowt but made a rod for your own back.

Take Ghostbusters - if they'd casted it even handed, about 50/50 and said "its just modernising it", nobody would have given a shit (beyond people with a slightly unhinged attachment to the original and also utter bellends as per star wars etc).
But no, that's not good enough, these people have to hammer the point and place themselves square in the cross hairs.

Agreed that Ghostbusters was shit, but I don't think switching all the main characters from male to female should attract that much anger. I think taking Point Break or Total Recall and making every single aspect of it so shit I wanted to rip my eyes out deserved more anger, and got none.

Agreed that Ghostbusters was shit, but I don't think switching all the main characters from male to female should attract that much anger. I think taking Point Break or Total Recall and making every single aspect of it so shit I wanted to rip my eyes out deserved more anger, and got none.
It doesn't.

But when you go out of your way to grab media headlines by shouting "look at us, we're remaking a much-loved film, but for reason whatsoever we're going to use an all-female cast", you have to realise you're playing with fire.

Any time you do something that gets you media coverage, you run the risk of it backfiring. See every z-list celeb ever who doesn't want the coverage when something goes wrong for them.

But when you go out of your way to grab media headlines by shouting "look at us, we're remaking a much-loved film, but for reason whatsoever we're going to use an all-female cast", you have to realise you're playing with fire.

Think about that statement. The only reason that is playing with fire is because of cunts

Give over.
They've used reserve sexism for media coverage. So when the film was shit, it got the extra media coverage they "bought" initially.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy that. The anger and fury, and organised twattering, stems directly from the broflakes thinking that an increase in the number of opportunities for women is emasculating men and destroying their world, and they have bought into this narrative that the world is swinging wildly into total manhating Armageddon.

Main thing that pissed me off was Snoke. Imo he was the most interesting character, who was he? Where was he from? How did he meet Kylo?
How come he was so force powerful? And how the fuck could he not sense that lightsaber stirring right next to him ffs?!
When he'd just spent 10 mins literally toying with Rey, and basically spent the movie manipulating her and Ren into skyping each other across the galaxy, he was that powerful yet couldn't sense Kylo wanting to cut him in half!

Rian Johnson basically made Leia into Mary Poppins.
Luke it a grumpy old kernt who milks tits.
Chewbacca eats a space penguin and flies about a bit.
Oh and Phasma was still shite.

Absolutely shoddy writing imo.

I honestly think Disney have decided to move away from whatever was originally planned and were clearing the decks for their new idea.

The original director for the next one quit due to ‘creative differences’ too.

I honestly think Disney have decided to move away from whatever was originally planned and were clearing the decks for their new idea.

The original director for the next one quit due to ‘creative differences’ too.

He didn't quit he was fired and it turns out he's a notorious diva...which is weird as he's only had one major blockbuster.

Which film is that? The Han Solo coming up, the Obi Wan or the next main Star Wars episode?
And there we have the real problem.
Star Wars films were special. There were 3 of them.
When the prequels came out, it was a massive deal - 3 new Star Wars films - wow. Sure, not everyone liked them, but they were a single story arc, all made to explain how we got to A New Hope.
Once done, the 6 films still felt special, albeit with the original 3 being the best.

Now, we're getting a film every single year, if not more - all written by unlinked people, and nobody giving a shit how their story fits into everyone elses.

The original trilogy isn't special anymore, as they've been swamped by shite. And its only going to get worse.

And there we have the real problem.
Star Wars films were special. There were 3 of them.
When the prequels came out, it was a massive deal - 3 new Star Wars films - wow. Sure, not everyone liked them, but they were a single story arc, all made to explain how we got to A New Hope.
Once done, the 6 films still felt special, albeit with the original 3 being the best.

Now, we're getting a film every single year, if not more - all written by unlinked people, and nobody giving a shit how their story fits into everyone elses.

The original trilogy isn't special anymore, as they've been swamped by shite. And its only going to get worse.

This unfortunately is true.

Reactions: PTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back