The Joplings Hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

The council has been opposed to this for years, even when Persimmon were willing to hoy daft money at us.

It's a good result if a building that means a lot to people is retained for another use. Were Persimmon intending to keep it or replace it ?
Pity the council weren't more farsighted when they knocked the Grand Hotel down in the 70s.

It's a good result if a building that means a lot to people is retained for another use. Were Persimmon intending to keep it or replace it ?
Pity the council weren't more farsighted when they knocked the Grand Hotel down in the 70s.

Joplings has a load of art deco features inside...hopefully the new owners incorporate them into their development

I get it that Sunderland is not a top tourist destination but roll back 10 years ago and I remember noting and complaining that there were no hotels in Sunderland City Centre

Hotels here serve the following purposes:
  • Prevents people having to stay in Newcastle who are visiting for work and business in the city (this one is very significant)
  • Hosts away fans for football games
  • Hosts fans for concerts
  • Hosts people for the Sunderland Air Show
If people are claiming nobody stays in these hotels, then the associated companies wouldn't keep investing in new ones, supply and demand.

Hotels (3-star and above) in central(ish)Newcastle:

* Jurys Inn
* Crowne Plaza
* The Vermont
* The Copthorne
* Hotel Indigo
* Sandman Signature
* Premier Inn
* Holiday Inn Express
* Hotel Du Vin
* Tune Hotel
* Travelodge
* Royal Station
* Thistle County Hotel
* Sleeperz
* Staybridge Suites
* Grey Street Hotel
* Premier Inn Quayside
* Newcastle Marriott
* Holiday Inn
* Hotel Motel One
* Novotel
* The Cairn Hotel
* Holiday Inn Jesmond
* The Ramada
* Grainger Hotel
* Rooms Inn
* Jesmond Dene House
* Hampton Hotel
* Jesmond Hotel
* Caledonian Hotel
* New Northumbria Hotel
* Best Western New Kent Hotel
* Waterside Hotel

All within a couple of miles of NE1...not counting any that are just across the tyne on the Gateshead side.

I have probably missed a few.

That's 2-3000 hotel rooms to fill every night in Newcastle.

And we people wondering why we need more than a couple of hotels

Does anyone nar who owns the building that was Mackie's corner ? Beautiful building with lots of potential shame it's stood empty for years.

Does anyone nar who owns the building that was Mackie's corner ? Beautiful building with lots of potential shame it's stood empty for years.
Gentoo iirc. There was a thread on here about them facing criticism for letting the building turn to ruin.

Would seem a better choice for a new hotel on the face of things.

I get it that Sunderland is not a top tourist destination but roll back 10 years ago and I remember noting and complaining that there were no hotels in Sunderland City Centre

Hotels here serve the following purposes:
  • Prevents people having to stay in Newcastle who are visiting for work and business in the city (this one is very significant)
  • Hosts away fans for football games
  • Hosts fans for concerts
  • Hosts people for the Sunderland Air Show
If people are claiming nobody stays in these hotels, then the associated companies wouldn't keep investing in new ones, supply and demand.

Add -
  • People visiting family or friends in Sunderland
  • People up for graduation ceremonies and events at the University, including those who study at the London Campus
  • People going to shows at the Empire

Not Joplings related but roughly in the same area, Angel House is finally being redeveloped, another prominent building in the city centre being brought back into use. Great to see.

Not Joplings related but roughly in the same area, Angel House is finally being redeveloped, another prominent building in the city centre being brought back into use. Great to see.

Thought it was never gonna happen. Turning them into student accommodation apparently. Just need to get shot of the hostels round there now so the wrongens can go elsewhere.

I heard it was Gentoo were going to develop it that's why sweet home Alabama had to move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back