Sporting Director.

They also say the same consortium are looking to buy River Plate. We'll be small fry by comparison?
Athletico River Plate. Not the Argentinian one, this one has 6k capacity ground. We should be safe
I can exclusively reveal the scandinavian candidate and our leathal striker with the man bun won't like it one little bit.

Last edited:

I am a little confused about the role of “Sporting Director” in relation to our current situation.
First point I wonder about, Sporting Director aside just for a moment and for clarity, does the Manager’s salary count against The EFL imposed wages cap? If it does, it follows that getting rid of and replacing Parkinson will cause a real problem for us in complying with the cap.

I read many posts on here over the past couple of days “criticising“ the fact that our proposed young majority shareholder, as a 22 year old would be, due to his “youth” incapable of running our Club and would be in the hands of the failed minority shareholders. The proposed Sporting Director should be an Executive Director sitting on the Board of SAFC as the right hand footballing guide and mentor of our young Mr Dreyfus and as such be his personal and trusted appointee, sitting and working with a further important Board appointment of a CEO with a proven track record in football administration, as Board appointees, surely they would not be restricted by the EFL cap?
This provides the expertise at Board level and enables the subsequent appointment of the important levels of coaching - including Team Manager/Chief Coach - academy, sports science and scouting regimes to be recruited - EFL wages cap permitting if that be so?
In my perfect fantasy world of appointments for Sporting Director - Wenger or Alardyce. For CEO - Marwood.

No. It's the 22 members of the first team squad only. You can pay off the pitch staff as much as you like, and as many of them as you like. Equally, board members pay in not included.

Sporting Directors do not usual sit on the board, but are senior managers reporting to a CEO. Appointing the right CEO will be even more important than the SD. Let me clear, Jim Rodwell, even if administratively competent, lacks some of the skills needed, in particular in controlling an expanding business.
What does a Sporting Director do? It's not DOF then..

The terms are more or less synonymous

Last edited:
Is that true?

I didn't think anyone in L1 & L2 would have a DoF?

Why would they?
Because they put in long term plans and managers are usually there in the short term. Most league one and league two clubs are trying to act like championship or premier league clubs as thats the level they want to be at. It works elsewhere so why not here etc. They're planning 5 years ahead while we're planning 5 minutes ahead at the moment

Last edited:
Is that true?

I didn't think anyone in L1 & L2 would have a DoF?

Why would they?

Because you want to create a stable playing ethos and system. It means not ripping up the squad and starting again every time you change manager/head coach (you can ask us all about how ell that goes). You recruit the coaches to fit the system, not reinvent the wheel every 12 months. It's far more cost efficient.

Back