Sporting Director.

Didn't mclaren help SD buy the club he was certainly at the training ground during the talks there was a picture of him & SD deeing the rounds on here at time

Rumours he was going to become our manager but apparently he was consulting them
Yep, correct mate. Liie i say pre lockdown he was at our home games a bit aswel.

Eric Roy, past player of both Olympique Marseille and Sunderland is the current Sporting Director at Watford.

He was also a short term SD and Manager at Nice before leaving under a cloud having travelled to South America on a scouting mission without the clubs consent.

He did however win his court case against Nice for wrongful dismissal.

Wouldn’t be a bad shout at our current level. I liked him when Peter Reid signed him and maybe he wants to return.

Your first sentence is literally explaining that he has the same job at a higher level. He was here for 1 season and has been at Watford as long as he was ever here. There's no logical reason to think he'd step down to us.

That's him. It's something a mate of mine who coaches in the US text me last night. Anderson has some links to the MLS and it's known he he is in for a sporting director job in England. I suppose 2+2 might be 7 here but it makes sense. Someone who knows the club.....perhaps short is in the he consortium?
I personally hope it’s not him. Wouldn’t be showing much imagination (him having been here before) and I’m not sure he has the requisite skillset or experience for the role.

Mind, I guess it depends what the role is, the remit will be set by the owners. Maybe he’d surprise me.

That's him. It's something a mate of mine who coaches in the US text me last night. Anderson has some links to the MLS and it's known he he is in for a sporting director job in England. I suppose 2+2 might be 7 here but it makes sense. Someone who knows the club.....perhaps short is in the he consortium?
Short has never really been too far away imo in the background.

I'm not entirely sure we need a sporting director at this level, we just need competent people in the roles occupied by Rodwell and Parkinson. I'd quite happily see the back of Jones and Sloanes too though, so if a sporting director comes in and does all of that maybe it's not a bad thing.
We do imo, we need someone to oversee the whole footballing side. I'd be more than happy for Jones to take a more prominent role as well.

I'm not entirely sure we need a sporting director at this level, we just need competent people in the roles occupied by Rodwell and Parkinson. I'd quite happily see the back of Jones and Sloanes too though, so if a sporting director comes in and does all of that maybe it's not a bad thing.

I think we need to stop thinking that these appointments are for where we are now rather than investing in the right people for where we want to be in the near future.

We need a culture change a set of principles.
Examples
1. Play 2-3 academy graduates every game.
2. Minimum level of athelticism for players we sign.
3 A club that is seen as giving players a start in their careers rather than a soccer retirement home.
Signings
I reckon only 10% of players we sign work out or we get a profit back, how do we change that. North east worst in the world at this , we need an answer or don't blow any more cash may as well put it to academy

Let’s stop doing the club down by thinking small. That is the Eastleigh model and not relevant for SAFC.The best people will come either permanently or in a consultancy role to assist in rebuilding a professional football club. This is where the immediate investment is a priority especially if we are a wealthy club with new owners operating under a player wage cap. A complete review of all positions at the club will ensure that those employed by the club are fit for purpose and importantly add value. Those that don’t will be removed.

Last edited:
Managers will come and go. We need a set up at the club where when we appoint a manager that they suit us. We don't change everyhting to suit them. As shown under Short we'd be always be in a cycle of correcting other people's mistakes.
This. Im feeling positive about it all so far
Yeah in theory, but as I said its no different to the Yanks, who Donald claim wanted him to run it

Not sure how you can have no concerns mate, its clearly not a straightforward takeover.
Hows it no different to the yanks? They gave the club a loan, this is nothing of the sort

He will be the majority shareholder, its a takeover. He is in control, he makes the decisions. End of

Last edited:
Plenty bigger clubs that Sunderland have that model or similar you want the list.

We destroy value in players both young and old and have done for twenty years. But amazingly we have a good academy that produces prem players and England players , it's bezerk

Back