skiing

Never been skiing in my life but have snowboarded for 22 years now, which puts a lot less strain on your knees. I know a fair few people who snowboard instead of ski for that reason; however when learning to board you fall over shit loads, which isnt so bad when you are younger, but as someone 49 now, I wouldnt fancy taking the tumbles I did at 27 again now.

Never been skiing or boarding but want to learn to snowboard.
Would silky be the best place to learn?

You are talking me into it now. My hips and knees are largely shot. Would that be an impediment?

We can't go this year cos the missus just started a new job but when we do the amount of strappings and supports I need for my knees is ridiculous like - takes longer to put them on than owt else

Never been skiing or boarding but want to learn to snowboard.
Would silky be the best place to learn?
I had a 1hr private lesson at Silky, got a book out of Sunderland Library “Learn how to Snowboard” and when I went back to Austria where I was working for a few months, read the book each night before I went on the slopes on my days off and taught myself.

You can learn the basics at Silky but be prepared for some very hard knocks, which may actually put you off. Much better booking yourself onto a group day course at Castleford or Manchester which will be much more enjoyable

Have you done Meribel before mate? I did it about 3-4 years ago. It’s massive, think there were 3 valleys there so you don’t get bored of the same slopes like smaller resorts.

No first time, normally go to Morzine but we fancied a change this year. The reason we booked it was because of the 3 valleys area, plenty to cover off.

pastime for middle class pretentious wankers , or that's impression I get from colleagues who go, love telling everybody
all about opinions like, but I like fantastic scenery, doing exercise all day, few beers on a night, rather than sitting by a pool drinking myself silly. I only go on skiing or cycling holidays as I enjoy being active. Each to their own like. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of middle aged pretentious wankers there too.

all about opinions like, but I like fantastic scenery, doing exercise all day, few beers on a night, rather than sitting by a pool drinking myself silly. I only go on skiing or cycling holidays as I enjoy being active. Each to their own like. Dont get me wrong there are a lot of middle aged pretentious wankers there too.
^^^This

To paraphrase Jon Bongiovi: I'll ski while I'm alive & lie around doing nothing when I'm dead.

& "middle aged pretentious wankers" are less annoying than drunken scratters.

Austria for us again this year, much better than France in my experience.

Something I’d love to do but similarly to @ouro my knee is buggered. Dislocated it years back and its never been the same since, gives me jip on barely any exercise let alone skiing :( so always been put off through thinking I’ll either re-dislocate it or worse etc.

I had a 1hr private lesson at Silky, got a book out of Sunderland Library “Learn how to Snowboard” and when I went back to Austria where I was working for a few months, read the book each night before I went on the slopes on my days off and taught myself.

You can learn the basics at Silky but be prepared for some very hard knocks, which may actually put you off. Much better booking yourself onto a group day course at Castleford or Manchester which will be much more enjoyable
I went to the indoor place at Milton Keynes. Much nicer falling on snow than a plastic slope. And then it’s 100 times better again when you get on the proper piste with the sun shine and the booze at the bottom.

Going next April. Never been before but will be having lessons at X-Scape in Castleford for a few months before and then do the lessons when I’m over there.
If your going with people who can ski, dont waste loads on lessons, seriously, have a couple here for basics then get out on the mountain. Youll learn more from a couple of decent skiers, youll be on reds in a few days, ski school, youll go 200 yards and get the magic carpet back up!!

Love sunshine..nice elevation so you can still go in mid may..from the top you are right on the continental divide..
Ski'd off the continental divide at Loveland last march 14,00ft, gotta love the Rockies.

Last edited:
If your going with people who can ski, dont waste loads on lessons, seriously, have a couple here for basics then get out on the mountain. Youll learn more from a couple of decent skiers, youll be on reds in a few days, ski school, youll go 200 yards and get the magic carpet back up!!

Ski'd off the continental divide at Loveland last march 14,00ft, gotta love the Rockies.

get 4 hours of basics under your belt then do ski school but say you have done it once before to get into group 1 and not the beginners. show you can plough downa small slope and youare in

get 4 hours of basics under your belt then do ski school but say you have done it once before to get into group 1 and not the beginners. show you can plough downa small slope and youare in
Weve had a few first timers on our trips over the years and none have had lessons, sure theyve had falls and been in tricky situations and had runs its taken 2 hours to get down but they learned quickly and loved every minute (i think).

Were off to portes de soleil at end of month, cant wait.

can she not do both like?

in the past yes

Weve had a few first timers on our trips over the years and none have had lessons, sure theyve had falls and been in tricky situations and had runs its taken 2 hours to get down but they learned quickly and loved every minute (i think).

Were off to portes de soleil at end of month, cant wait.

i dont want first timers impeding my ski time. pack them off to lessons fo tthe morning so I can bank out some distance and then dabble with them in the afternoon and bring them home down the whole mountain at the end of day

Last edited:
in the past yes

i dont want first timers impeding my ski time. pack them off to lessons fo tthe morning so I can bank out some distance and then dabble with them in the afternoon and bring them home down the whole mountain at the end of day
Its funny watching them crash tho.

Back