skiing

depends. they will get them on those magic carpet things from about 3. toilet trained seems to be the prerequisite and a little semblance of them being to comprehend what you are saying.

the link I posted earlier has full ski creche so you can piss off for the day. last minute deal will get the four of you away half board for £1200 and then iots abotu £200 a week for the creche
Fuck, that’s cheaper than nursery by some way.

You are talking me into it now. My hips and knees are largely shot. Would that be an impediment?

Doesn’t help, there is strain on the knees due to the turning. I wear a knee support and Mrs Garp wears 2. We have both skied for many years but now avoid the more difficult slopes and keep to easier cruising. Don’t let it put you off, if learning you will not be hurtling down black slopes anyway (hopefully ;))

Doesn’t help, there is strain on the knees due to the turning. I wear a knee support and Mrs Garp wears 2. We have both skied for many years but now avoid the more difficult slopes and keep to easier cruising. Don’t let it put you off, if learning you will not be hurtling down black slopes anyway (hopefully ;))

Quicker you learn the less pressure on the knees imo.

Avoid snow ploughing and try and start parralel turns / basic turns asap

You are talking me into it now. My hips and knees are largely shot. Would that be an impediment?

The parts of me that suffered most when i was a beginner was my thigh muscles and my shins. Shins from wearing crap hired boots, and leaning too far into them. But the standard of hire boots i imagine you get now will be much improved from when i'm talking about. 35 years ago. Also take some high factor sun cream, though you can buy that there. If you get sunshine, and you don't put cream on , you'll look like dracular after hes been sunbathing.
Last bit of advise is take mirror shades. There are lots of very attractive wimin around, and you can perv to your hearts content. Its a wonderful life.
Providing you don't break your leg, you'll love it, once you stop falling over.

Never been skiing in my life but have snowboarded for 22 years now, which puts a lot less strain on your knees. I know a fair few people who snowboard instead of ski for that reason; however when learning to board you fall over shit loads, which isnt so bad when you are younger, but as someone 49 now, I wouldnt fancy taking the tumbles I did at 27 again now.

Others already answered - however I would say as long as you're sensible there's no reason why you should have any problems unless you're unlucky - maybe get knee supports but it's more important to do some general fitness training - and definitely do some ski classes when you get there.

The biggest problem I had was my thighs and calves - but that was as much do with the way I was standing rather than lack of fitness - a decent instructor will pick up on stuff like that (and they'll show you the most suitable pistes to suit your ability for when you go off on your own).

Personally I would recommend Austria to get kicked off - half board - so if you can't ski then at least the food and beer will be good! Our first holiday was in Fulpmes - Stubaierhof Hotel - very short transfer from Innsbruck, small resort, ideal for beginners and it's probably the best hotel we've stayed in (for the food, at least).

Just got back from Bansko, Bulgaria. Decent for budget skiing but quite a small resort, the town itself has some nice areas but also some pretty dodgy magaluf-like parts.

Booked to go to Meribel in March

Have you done Meribel before mate? I did it about 3-4 years ago. It’s massive, think there were 3 valleys there so you don’t get bored of the same slopes like smaller resorts.

Any particular reason?
Yeah it's awful. I live not a million miles away. It's like a pop-up mountain village. Nothing there and very much a tourist trap. It doesn't feel authentic at all.

If you are near then fair enough but if you are planning a specific journey to see it then it's not worth the hassle.

Skiing in Finland ( Ruka) next week. Expect it to be as expensive as France.

Don't think I'll be drinking to much alcohol out there looking at the price guides. Ski bag will be heavy again.

Anyone skied Finland?

Anyone on here gan skiing. Ive just booked up to go to Arinsal Andorra in February the knars
Went a few times and just moved to Canada

Bought a season ski pass and thought I would be like Franz Klammer by spring

First weekend on the slopes after about 2 hours fell over and did a fracture/ dislocation on my right shoulder

I was dragged off the slopes in a papoose to get the arm reduced. 7 week later still cant comb my hair or wipe my arse as its f***ing agony

Skiing is great...... falling over is beyond shit

Yeah it's awful. I live not a million miles away. It's like a pop-up mountain village. Nothing there and very much a tourist trap. It doesn't feel authentic at all.

If you are near then fair enough but if you are planning a specific journey to see it then it's not worth the hassle.

Thanks for the advice
Would you say Innsbruck would be better to explore for a day trip?

Back