skiing

Passo Tonale for a week
I've been its really good. If you get to the glacier and ski from the very top to the very bottom starting on the red and finishing on the black. You'll know you've had a good run...

You are talking me into it now. My hips and knees are largely shot. Would that be an impediment?
Get it done before you get any hip or knee replacements. After that the quack will recommend you do not do skiing or snowboarding the knars

Last edited:
I wanted to try snowboarding but couldn't be arsed in the end as I didn't. Want to waste a week when I just get out there a d enjoy.

With shorter skis these days it's so much easier anyway.

I might do a lesson or two for a laugh at an indoor place

My mrs is trying to convince me to go but I can’t get past the fact that everyone who goes skiing seems like a utter twat when talking about it.

It’s one of the few pastimes that when people talk it about just makes my eyes glaze over. Seems like a load of pretentious old wank to me but I’m turning into an increasingly cantankerous old ****.

No offence to the lovely folks on this thread, I’m sure your all lovely when your not prattling on about f***ing skiing.

My mrs is trying to convince me to go but I can’t get past the fact that everyone who goes skiing seems like a utter twat when talking about it.

It’s one of the few pastimes that when people talk it about just makes my eyes glaze over. Seems like a load of pretentious old wank to me but I’m turning into an increasingly cantankerous old ****.

No offence to the lovely folks on this thread, I’m sure your all lovely when your not prattling on about f***ing skiing.

Either love it or hate it. Loads of people would give up summer holidays to go skiing.

Hard to explain how good it is being in the sky up the mountain.. the fresh air and freedom

I was the same mate about 15 years ago. but if you ignore the twats (and there are plenty) a day in the mountains doing exercise going fast down a mountain challenging yourself you will love it. even going up on the lifts looking about is magical. I refused to go for years because of the exact reasons you say but honestly mate its great.

I've been its really good. If you get to the glacier and ski from the very top to the very bottom starting on the red and finishing on the black. You'll know you've had a good run...

Get it done before you get any hip or knee replacements. After that the quack will recommend you do not do skiing or snowboarding the knars
Thanks for the tip, marra

I was the same mate about 15 years ago. but if you ignore the twats (and there are plenty) a day in the mountains doing exercise going fast down a mountain challenging yourself you will love it. even going up on the lifts looking about is magical. I refused to go for years because of the exact reasons you say but honestly mate its great.

I like the sound of the outdoorsy/active aspect but it all seems like a massive pissing contest in terms of all the pretentious wank that goes along with it.

I think I’d get the same from going for a hike somewhere nice whist saving a few grand and avoiding a a spiral fracture to the femur.

I like the sound of the outdoorsy/active aspect but it all seems like a massive pissing contest in terms of all the pretentious wank that goes along with it.

I think I’d get the same from going for a hike somewhere nice whist saving a few grand and avoiding a a spiral fracture to the femur.

I think it's more in your head than reality. Most people are just ordinary people enjoying themselves. Odd resorts will have more of that but most are so international that you do t even have to see other brits

fair enough mate but its not all a pissing contest. no more than any other sport. I take a packed lunch most days as do a lot of people. don't get involved in the pissing contest.

Mrs R just got the suitcase down, coz she likes to pack over 3 weeks. Been looking at the old lift passes she has kept. Barring the last 5-ish years, the ones before needed a pic, have been hilarious to look at. Get yours out and have a laugh. I had a tache for years. Thinking of shaving it off now. I look like a mexican bandit on loads of them, Gay on another one, but the funniest are the haircuts over the last 30 years. 23 years ago we were in Steamboat springs Colorado.

Finally persuaded the wife (no) that it was my turn to pick the spring holiday so instead of golf in Tenerife we've just booked Bad Gastein - 10th March for a week.

Anyone been that can give useful (I know this is the SMB) tips / advice?

Me and the wife(no) just had our first ski lesson today is seefeld, Austria. Much harder than it looks, amazing the progression you make from start of the day to the end. So weird seeing young local kids no older than 5 or 6 skiing down from top of nursery slopes. Mental

Back