RR: Bob Murray podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

An interesting interview. Murray took on the club at a very dark time and made good decisions then which saw us return to the top two divisions in quick time. On the pitch he oversaw the best period in my watching lifetime for league football and established a good stadium, fortunately in a location even closer to the city than Roker Park after the miserable prospect of a ground on the side of the road with no local businesses, pubs etc to challenge the corporate beer in plastic beakers.

He blames everyone else for the failures in the interview and doesn't admit to the part he played in it for the most part - I think Wilkinson is all he admits to and some of that sounds like it's because Wilkinson snubs him at FA functions. He effectively dismisses Reid as a pisshead who got lucky and casts aspersions on Quinn and his backers who couldn't have expected the end of the so called Celtic Tiger to derail them. Like Murray, Quinn desperately need new finance and made an honest mistake with Short as far as I can see, one that his messy departure suggests was realised quite quickly.

He speaks of the club's reputation and is clearly disgusted with the Johnson debacle which I concur with, though he gets a bit giddy when talking about his good friend David Murray - not the most honourable person in football to say the least.

That point when we were second and nearly went top was an emotional one, I thought of all the years before and the sense that we were on the verge of something entirely different but it seemed to fizzle out very quickly and it still feels like an opportunity missed. Murray, despite his saddling Reid with all of the blame, was culpable and I would have liked him to say he just didn't have the money to deliver what was necessary.

His is also an account of the change in the attitudes of players as his ownership sat across the pre Premier league days and the Sky tv era he holds Flo up as the epitome of what was going wrong and which we have suffered with in recent seasons.

Whilst a more intensive questioning style might be desirable, I think a lot has been revealed that wouldn't have, maybe a little too much of Murray's self regard,, and that he would have clammed up if he had been pushed on issues.

Murray was a good enough chairman as far as chairmen of football clubs go but none of us watch our team on the basis of the stadium and the chairman. He struggled with the issues of running a club, like most people would and a little more consideration of the people who helped him along the way wouldn't go amiss. He was divisive figure at times and the disastrous Butcher appointment nearly saw us plummet again. I hope we don't now have an endless round of former managers answering Murray back, perhaps they can do that privately, a few have cause to have a word

Spot on. Murray and Fickling used to happily mislead supporters to try and appease them. With regularity.

The Robbie Keane thing is very fishy as well. It was announced semi-officially at the time that a fee had been agreed between us and Leeds

He also said he’s not sure if Wembley would have happened without him. I think Murray’s ego is enormous. The podcast was very me, me, me.

I wish the interviewer had challenged him just on the Paul Scholes thing alone.

Aye and that was evident to a lot of people who thought Reid had lost the plot. So why didn’t Murray take decisive action? Why had he let one man become so powerful at the club? He talks about Reid in that podcast as if he was watching Reid do all this without any ability to intervene. That is simply chucking Reid under the bus and absolving himself of any blame.

That’s s a fair point

Seems to polarise opinion as always. My 2 pennorth...he was a good custodian of the club. He is proud of his legacy and yes he does big himself up however I suspect a fair bit of that is to redress the balance of the flack he has had. At heart he comes across as a decent, humble bloke. He genuinely cared, wasn't an autocrat and had time for the important small details and the fans. Quite surprised how critical he was of Reid I have to say. Found it a really good listen

Iam with you bud

Falling out with players as stated in the video and not shit ones, not replacing them with decent players was the beginning of the end.
The way he treated Johnston was a disgrace.

Mind Johnston didn’t ever play in the prem, so that wasn’t part of the demise in itself

Last edited:
The amount of time it takes to develop projects like the SOL or BOL in terms of business planning and pulling together the funding package must be immense for mere mortals.

However, for someone like Boris Bore well it would be a doddle.

Once, long ago, I managed projects as big as this and you live it, you breathe it , you wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat and reach for a note pad and off you go again, day after day, month after month, year in year out.There is no such thing as a moment's peace.
I have a huge respect for Bob Murray. He has left a legacy that will endure. I haven't seen the BOL but the fact that he has again reinvested his energies into something for the City, for something that can be a vision, a philanthropic achievement speaks volumes for the man.
Was he under-capitalised? Probably. Did Reidy fuck up? Undoubtedly.
Wilkinson? He was probably a charlatan but look at Mourinho at Man U.
But who amongst us has in retrospect and on balance done more for the club? Or the City?

An interesting interview. Murray took on the club at a very dark time and made good decisions then which saw us return to the top two divisions in quick time. On the pitch he oversaw the best period in my watching lifetime for league football and established a good stadium, fortunately in a location even closer to the city than Roker Park after the miserable prospect of a ground on the side of the road with no local businesses, pubs etc to challenge the corporate beer in plastic beakers.

He blames everyone else for the failures in the interview and doesn't admit to the part he played in it for the most part - I think Wilkinson is all he admits to and some of that sounds like it's because Wilkinson snubs him at FA functions. He effectively dismisses Reid as a pisshead who got lucky and casts aspersions on Quinn and his backers who couldn't have expected the end of the so called Celtic Tiger to derail them. Like Murray, Quinn desperately need new finance and made an honest mistake with Short as far as I can see, one that his messy departure suggests was realised quite quickly.

He speaks of the club's reputation and is clearly disgusted with the Johnson debacle which I concur with, though he gets a bit giddy when talking about his good friend David Murray - not the most honourable person in football to say the least.

That point when we were second and nearly went top was an emotional one, I thought of all the years before and the sense that we were on the verge of something entirely different but it seemed to fizzle out very quickly and it still feels like an opportunity missed. Murray, despite his saddling Reid with all of the blame, was culpable and I would have liked him to say he just didn't have the money to deliver what was necessary.

His is also an account of the change in the attitudes of players as his ownership sat across the pre Premier league days and the Sky tv era he holds Flo up as the epitome of what was going wrong and which we have suffered with in recent seasons.

Whilst a more intensive questioning style might be desirable, I think a lot has been revealed that wouldn't have, maybe a little too much of Murray's self regard,, and that he would have clammed up if he had been pushed on issues.

Murray was a good enough chairman as far as chairmen of football clubs go but none of us watch our team on the basis of the stadium and the chairman. He struggled with the issues of running a club, like most people would and a little more consideration of the people who helped him along the way wouldn't go amiss. He was divisive figure at times and the disastrous Butcher appointment nearly saw us plummet again. I hope we don't now have an endless round of former managers answering Murray back, perhaps they can do that privately, a few have cause to have a word

Inteligent post that!

20:30 in. With Bob Murray's permission, John Fickling says we tried to sign Paul Scholes and Paul Gascoigne. Murray sitting in front of a camera and microphone on RR stating that both were fictitious. And its worth watching the five minutes or so after as well.

Everything Murray says should be treated with caution

I spotted that about Scholes and Gazza as well. There was also a flat denial of the Robbie Keane story when Graeme Anderson tells it different (via Reidy).

Sure Reid was on soccer Saturday years ago saying the deal had been agreed with Leeds for Keane but he chose to go to Spurs instead. Murray is blatantly lying about a lot of things in that interview.

I don’t see why he would lie to be honest. He has zero to gain from it. It was 15+ years ago and if we had Robbie Keane all wrapped up only for him to shaft us that would not be the club’s - or Murray’s - fault. Could Reid have lined up a deal that he was then going to sell to Murray?! It’s bizarre this one.

I don’t see why he would lie to be honest. He has zero to gain from it. It was 15+ years ago and if we had Robbie Keane all wrapped up only for him to shaft us that would not be the club’s - or Murray’s - fault. Could Reid have lined up a deal that he was then going to sell to Murray?! It’s bizarre this one.
Well he seems to have talked a lot shit on other potential signings in the mid 90s so I have my doubts on anything he says now.

Sure Reid was on soccer Saturday years ago saying the deal had been agreed with Leeds for Keane but he chose to go to Spurs instead. Murray is blatantly lying about a lot of things in that interview.

Keane was nearly over the line, I even heard he was here ready to sign, then Leeds sacked there manager (think it was O’Leary) after that Leeds pulled the deal

Enjoyed the podcast and I quite like him as a bloke however I don't like the way he passed the buck on a few occassions. He didn't have to appoint Crosby, he took the easy option when it wasn't what he wanted. When Reidy was losing the dressing room why didn't he step in and sort it out? Why did he sanction a deal for Flo against his own beliefs?

Tough decisions he, imo, seemingly bottled

Was on the train when I listened but wished the bloke would speak up, not exactly Mr charisma.

The bloke has undoubtedly done loads and still does loads for a city that he loves and does need help in areas. Can only praise him for that.

As mentioned, nothing was his fault. That 1990 team could have established in the top flight. Such a missed opportunity, I refuse to believe that's not a regret.
Didn't like the way he spoke about Smith.

To be fair he's getting on a bit, spent the afternoon with my dad yesterday who's the same age and he's started waffling shite as well!

Built it in pretty much the exact year TV money overtook gate receipts as the biggest proportion of our revenue

It's little wonder Reid was upset that money didn't get spent on the team
a white elephant purchase made by a sucker who had a spat with a rival... people can bang on about how decent murray is
but at the time we had a huge opportunity to grow and it was blow on a stand that very rarely gets full and never has in the 18 years it been there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back