Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like him, he's successful and that though so he must be a total twat.
Being successful does not equate to being a tw4t. I dont think he is a tw4t, just dont find him that funny doing stand up whereas doing the scripted stuff like The Office and to a lesser extent Derek i do like him

I was there last night, bit of a strange gig for him compared to all the other tours - can't put my finger on why. Maybe that he usually has a structure, but I realised after the first 15 mins that this wasn't just a bit of pre-amble to the show, but the actual show.

The dead baby bit.

I think this is one where those with kids and those without will tend to have different views - although not everyone will agree of course and nor should they. He's allowed to joke about whatever he wants and I'm allowed to laugh or to find it offensive. That's fine.

For what its worth, my problem with that joke is this: Its fine to take the take the piss out of people for what they chose to do or chose to believe. They decided to do that, and if one day they chose to do something different then that's up to them.

No parent choses to have their infant die in a cot.

No parent ever finds this easy to cope with. No parents deals with it and moves on. No parent will ever find this funny, and no friend of that parent will either.

I get the joke, its layered up beforehand to express how bringing up a child can be a futile activity, and how this can go even so far as to have them drop dead for almost zero reason. Yes, its a decently structured joke and I can see why some people find it funny.

I can't help feeling that there could have been parents in that room who'd lost children who would be in tears being reminded of the worst thing that's ever happened to them. Its not fair game.

I also thought it was a bit crass to talk about child cancer in a similar way considering the current events in the region. I just don't see the need - again, this isn't making fun of people's life choices (like Bruce Jenner, or that Texan bloke), this could really hurt people.

Overall, it was a decent show, but I won't be rushing to buy tickets again.

I was there last night, bit of a strange gig for him compared to all the other tours - can't put my finger on why. Maybe that he usually has a structure, but I realised after the first 15 mins that this wasn't just a bit of pre-amble to the show, but the actual show.

The dead baby bit.

I think this is one where those with kids and those without will tend to have different views - although not everyone will agree of course and nor should they. He's allowed to joke about whatever he wants and I'm allowed to laugh or to find it offensive. That's fine.

For what its worth, my problem with that joke is this: Its fine to take the take the piss out of people for what they chose to do or chose to believe. They decided to do that, and if one day they chose to do something different then that's up to them.

No parent choses to have their infant die in a cot.

No parent ever finds this easy to cope with. No parents deals with it and moves on. No parent will ever find this funny, and no friend of that parent will either.

I get the joke, its layered up beforehand to express how bringing up a child can be a futile activity, and how this can go even so far as to have them drop dead for almost zero reason. Yes, its a decently structured joke and I can see why some people find it funny.

I can't help feeling that there could have been parents in that room who'd lost children who would be in tears being reminded of the worst thing that's ever happened to them. Its not fair game.

I also thought it was a bit crass to talk about child cancer in a similar way considering the current events in the region. I just don't see the need - again, this isn't making fun of people's life choices (like Bruce Jenner, or that Texan bloke), this could really hurt people.

Overall, it was a decent show, but I won't be rushing to buy tickets again.

I don't choose to be bald, he was laughing at my wig man, the f***ing tit. I hope his fangs fall out.

I just don't see the need - again, this isn't making fun of people's life choices (like Bruce Jenner, or that Texan bloke), this could really hurt people.

Bruce Jenner didn't choose to be born in the wrong gender body, I've never been so outraged in my life hearing him take the piss out of that poor poor long suffering woman.

Last edited:
I don't choose to be bald, he was laughing at my wig man, the f***ing tit. I hope his fangs fall out.

Bruce Jenner didn't choose to be born in the wrong gender body, I've never been so outraged in my life hearing him take the piss out of that poor poor long suffering woman.

I don't expect people to agree with me. That's fine.
I don't expect people not to say things that are offensive to me or to others. That's fine too.

I'm allowed to comment though.

I don't expect people to agree with me. That's fine.
I don't expect people not to say things that are offensive to me or to others. That's fine too.

I'm allowed to comment though.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but do you agree with the people in the article running to the press full of faux outrage?

Being successful does not equate to being a tw4t. I dont think he is a tw4t, just dont find him that funny doing stand up whereas doing the scripted stuff like The Office and to a lesser extent Derek i do like him

Did you not like Extras? Far better than Derek imo. Derek was ruined by that pointless drunk bloke IMO.

That black bloke from Derek was his support last night, wasn't a bad warm up act IMO.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion of course, but do you agree with the people in the article running to the press full of faux outrage?
Surely it is personal perception, foregoing the running to the press. Some may be offended by jokes when others wont be.

You are entitled to think he is a good stand-up comedian while others may not agree. It doesnt make one person more right than the other

Did you not like Extras? Far better than Derek imo. Derek was ruined by that pointless drunk bloke IMO.

That black bloke from Derek was his support last night, wasn't a bad warm up act IMO.
Didnt watch Extras so cant comment on it

Surely it is personal perception, foregoing the running to the press. Some may be offended by jokes when others wont be.

You are entitled to think he is a good stand-up comedian while others may not agree. It doesnt make one person more right than the other

Oh yeah, obviously I get that loads won't like him. I don't actually like much stand up stuff myself, RG is one of only a handful I can enjoy.

Didnt watch Extras so cant comment on it
It's quality like IMO.

I think comedians like Peter Kay ,Micky Flannigan and Joe Wilkinson are are lot funnier than Ricky Gervais.Some comedians have to be offensive because it's the only way they can get laughs due to their limited ability. The only one I can think of who is massively offensive and funny is of course Frannkie Boyle. I wouldn't be surprised if Frannkie had received a few clips in his time though.

I think comedians like Peter Kay ,Micky Flannigan and Joe Wilkinson are are lot funnier than Ricky Gervais.Some comedians have to be offensive because it's the only way they can get laughs due to their limited ability. The only one I can think of who is massively offensive and funny is of course Frannkie Boyle. I wouldn't be surprised if Frannkie had received a few clips in his time though.

Peter Kay isn't funny at all IMO. I can get how he will be to many though. Easily pleased imo.

No idea if its accurate but this was one of the comments on the article:

"Ricky is talking about why he and his girlfriend never wnated to have a baby, part of it has to do with how fragile babies are. Ricky pretends he is holding his non-existing-never-born-pretend-child, dearly while he lolabies it to sleep and, to show how fragil babies are, when he puts the baby to the crib he goes "Look... He's dead. I just layed him on the crib and he's dead.". Then he talks about how he should go about telling it to his girlfriend.

The joke is not about a dead baby, the joke his about how fragil babies are and how inapt Ricky and his girlfriend feel to take on that kind of responsibility, in order to illustrat that, Ricky pretends his NEVER-BORN-baby dies."
Sounds like people have just knee-jerked a reaction and the newspapers have printed bullshit as usual.

Welcome to 2017 folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back