Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

No idea if its accurate but this was one of the comments on the article:

"Ricky is talking about why he and his girlfriend never wnated to have a baby, part of it has to do with how fragile babies are. Ricky pretends he is holding his non-existing-never-born-pretend-child, dearly while he lolabies it to sleep and, to show how fragil babies are, when he puts the baby to the crib he goes "Look... He's dead. I just layed him on the crib and he's dead.". Then he talks about how he should go about telling it to his girlfriend.

The joke is not about a dead baby, the joke his about how fragil babies are and how inapt Ricky and his girlfriend feel to take on that kind of responsibility, in order to illustrat that, Ricky pretends his NEVER-BORN-baby dies."
That's not offensive at all. It's just shit.

No idea if its accurate but this was one of the comments on the article:

"Ricky is talking about why he and his girlfriend never wnated to have a baby, part of it has to do with how fragile babies are. Ricky pretends he is holding his non-existing-never-born-pretend-child, dearly while he lolabies it to sleep and, to show how fragil babies are, when he puts the baby to the crib he goes "Look... He's dead. I just layed him on the crib and he's dead.". Then he talks about how he should go about telling it to his girlfriend.

The joke is not about a dead baby, the joke his about how fragil babies are and how inapt Ricky and his girlfriend feel to take on that kind of responsibility, in order to illustrat that, Ricky pretends his NEVER-BORN-baby dies."

Yeah that's pretty much it. It's part of a much longer bit about why he hasn't got children but that's pretty much the dead baby bit.

1 in 4 are bereaved parents??? That can't be right?

It'll be higher than you think I suspect.
That said, I don't find Gervais particularly funny anyway.

However, I've heard arguably more cut to the bone material than that from others. I think Gervais just gurns his way through stuff and some people think he can do no wrong.

He isn't funny at all. The podcasts were funny because of Karl pilkington. Gervais has never been funny. The office was shite as well
I can't stand gervais as a person and a standup, but there's nothing shit about the office and extras

It'll be higher than you think I suspect.
That said, I don't find Gervais particularly funny anyway.

However, I've heard arguably more cut to the bone material than that from others. I think Gervais just gurns his way through stuff and some people think he can do no wrong.
That stat must include third world for it to be that high. Agree, he's not funny as a comedian

I'm a big fan of Gervais but think his stand up is pretty poor. I think this story is a load of nonsense like. Everyone knows what his type of comedy is. He says stuff that some people find offensive. If you're that type of person or you're pretty raw from suffering some personal tragedy as in this case then you probably shouldn't buy a ticket.

He's a comedian, comedians tell jokes, someone was upset boo hoo f***ing generation snowflake!
It was a joke about a dead baby but aren't jokes meant to be funny? I can't in any context of the word joke see how dead babies can be funny. Might just be me mind.:rolleyes:

Some decent views on here like, provoked nice bit sensible debate.

My take is the couple (who i have upmost sympathy for) must have known what type of comedian Ricky Gervais was. The David Brent film featured a song about disabled people with lyrics "mental in the head", "mental in the legs" and "basically a head on a pillow". Now is it okay to laugh at this because it doesn't directly effect them? Comedy cannot be censored.

I like Gervais, I don't find the baby story particularly offensive, but I certainly don't find it funny either. If folks don't want to risk been offended it's quite simple, don't see comedians like Gervais or Frankie Boyle. Stick to Ant and Dec instead

Some decent views on here like, provoked nice bit sensible debate.

My take is the couple (who i have upmost sympathy for) must have known what type of comedian Ricky Gervais was. The David Brent film featured a song about disabled people with lyrics "mental in the head", "mental in the legs" and "basically a head on a pillow". Now is it okay to laugh at this because it doesn't directly effect them? Comedy cannot be censored.

I like Gervais, I don't find the baby story particularly offensive, but I certainly don't find it funny either. If folks don't want to risk been offended it's quite simple, don't see comedians like Gervais or Frankie Boyle. Stick to Ant and Dec instead

The difference for me between those two is gervais is funny. That is all that matters with a comedian. IMHO.

Louis CK is the one that does it the best for me. He sees the human condition makes it funny and makes you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back