Ricky Gervais joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone there last night?

I thought he was brilliant. Much better than I was expecting.

I have to say that the dead baby bit was the funniest section for me. All he was saying is that he's not really cut out for parenthood.

There were many other subjects he covered which people could pretend to take offence at such as rape, children with cancer and the Holocaust.

It's just a f***ing joke, people. He's not really like that!

I was. The dead baby section wasn't really offensive at all.

He nailed the social media outrage thing towards the end, how there's always one person who gets offended and seems to think anything put out on twitter is directly addressed to them.

Who the fuck do they think they are, to even think for ONE second they have the right to censor a comedians material.

Don't like it. Leave. This is what they did.

Who the fuck do they think they are, to even think for ONE second they have the right to censor a comedians material.

Don't like it. Leave. This is what they did.
Nothing should be sacred in comedy imo.

However comedians shouldn't really punch down, not that Gervais has done that from what I've seen.

I'd rather a comedian was controversial than shit like quite a number of them.
Agree with that.

If they are being controversial for the sake of causing controversy they are probably shit comedians though.

However comedians shouldn't really punch down, not that Gervais has done that from what I've seen.

Agree with that.

If they are being controversial for the sake of causing controversy they are probably shit comedians though.

gervais shoots from the hip but it's normally very witty.

Agree with that.

I like shock humour, jokes where some people think, 'should I laugh at this', it can be done quite subtly or full on offensive, either or for me.
I do it at work all the time.

No idea of the content of the joke, and maybes the 'victims' are being a little sensitive, but I'm of the opinion there are some subjects that just aren't funny, dead bairns being one of them.

I remember watching Frankie Boyle and turned it off because his material was of similar nature and just simply isn't funny.

And I'm not a fanny by any stretch of the imagination.

No idea of the content of the joke, and maybes the 'victims' are being a little sensitive, but I'm of the opinion there are some subjects that just aren't funny, dead bairns being one of them..
You know, if he'd left it at the "its dead" moment, then actually, it wasn't so bad - it was almost funny to me as I got the joke. But he think hammered it home time after time in a 3 minute routine about just how dead it was, how he could dangle the dead baby my the ankle, or grab it by the throat, how he'd send the mother a text to say "baby is dead", and how he's then follow up with another text to say that she didn't need to buy any nappies now.

That's when it got cruel. All imo, of course.

I really like Gervais' stand-up shows, really looking forward to watching his latest when the DVD is out.
I've seen at least 3 live, and always REALLY enjoyed them. I've said loads of times on here that I much prefer his stand up to his TV shows.
Last night's wasn't as funny for me (even if you ignore the baby bit). Half of the show felt like him defending himself against stuff that people have said about him. Which isn't really all that funny.

"Someone sent me this tweet once, and I shouldn't reply, but I did". Was done at least 4 times.

No idea of the content of the joke, and maybes the 'victims' are being a little sensitive, but I'm of the opinion there are some subjects that just aren't funny, dead bairns being one of them.

I remember watching Frankie Boyle and turned it off because his material was of similar nature and just simply isn't funny.

And I'm not a fanny by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree, however RG has the right to say what he wants even if's funny or not, there plenty of people out there who would sensor comedians making fun of religion, politics etc

I agree, however RG has the right to say what he wants even if's funny or not, there plenty of people out there who would sensor comedians making fun of religion, politics etc
I'm not against freedom of speech, let people say what they want. I'll of course judge people by what they do say however. And I've always thought him to be an unfunny bellend to be honest. And these type of reports cement that opinion.

I like shock humour, jokes where some people think, 'should I laugh at this', it can be done quite subtly or full on offensive, either or for me.
I do it at work all the time.

I'm not easily offended, genuinely not arsed. I'd rather the joke was funny despite being offensive rather than funny because it was offensive.

I think Frankie Boyle is funny as fuck, but he can sometimes be the latter.

Reactions: PTR
I'm not easily offended, genuinely not arsed. I'd rather the joke was funny despite being offensive rather than funny because it was offensive.

I think Frankie Boyle is funny as fuck, but he can sometimes be the latter.

Yeah, his act is just total offence at times, no need for it but that's him, that's how he wants to portray himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back