Remembrance Sunday -anyone doing anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll be done with public ceremonies after the centenary one today at the local war memorial. It's not that I don't care. I care a great deal.

The whole thing has been hi-jacked and turned into a dog and pony show. Everyone trying to "faux out-grieve" everyone else in contrived public outpourings - especially on TV. Commentators at sporting events (especially football) hoping some louts will kick-off during the 2 minutes silence so they can pontificate. The zeal of the poppy fascists knowing no bounds. The white poppy brigade. All these things I don't need. It doesn't convey respect. It does just the opposite.

I will pay my own respects every year, in private and with family, in my own way.

Just delete all your idiot friends on Facebook.

Is there anything on in the town ?

No mate, absolutely nowt. :rolleyes:

I'll be done with public ceremonies after the centenary one today at the local war memorial. It's not that I don't care. I care a great deal.

The whole thing has been hi-jacked and turned into a dog and pony show. Everyone trying to "faux out-grieve" everyone else in contrived public outpourings - especially on TV. Commentators at sporting events (especially football) hoping some louts will kick-off during the 2 minutes silence so they can pontificate. The zeal of the poppy fascists knowing no bounds. The white poppy brigade. All these things I don't need. It doesn't convey respect. It does just the opposite.

I will pay my own respects every year, in private and with family, in my own way.

Grim outlook but understandable. I would make a plea that much of the outpouring is genuine, although a lot isn’t admittedly.

Although I understand your point, it's wrong to say everyone is trying too hard and without any real thought. I've seen many examples of genuine feeling being expressed. Mind, I think the poppy displays are at times verging on the ridiculous even if they usually do look great.

There was a captain in either the 8th or 9th Devons who was a maths teacher in peace time. In the hours before zero hour he observed that the preliminary British bombardment of the German lines had failed to knock out a particular enemy machine gun post near the Devons’ objective that morning.

He used trigonometry to calculate that the angle of the machine gun and the arc it would be firing could only lead to the death of him and all of his men.

He took his calculations back to the command post but was told “sorry, you still have to attack”.

At 07:30 despite knowing what they were walking into they went over the top. They were all killed.

At the end of the day their bodies were brought back to the trench they had attacked from that morning and they were buried in it. A sign was placed nearby: “The Devonshires held this trench, they hold it still”.

Stories like that are what get me.

Just back from the Shields service at the monument, great work by all.

Local church, daughters are there with guides. Great turnout and very moving as always

There was a captain in either the 8th or 9th Devons who was a maths teacher in peace time. In the hours before zero hour he observed that the preliminary British bombardment of the German lines had failed to knock out a particular enemy machine gun post near the Devons’ objective that morning.

He used trigonometry to calculate that the angle of the machine gun and the arc it would be firing could only lead to the death of him and all of his men.

He took his calculations back to the command post but was told “sorry, you still have to attack”.

At 07:30 despite knowing what they were walking into they went over the top. They were all killed.

At the end of the day their bodies were brought back to the trench they had attacked from that morning and they were buried in it. A sign was placed nearby: “The Devonshires held this trench, they hold it still”.

Stories like that are what get me.
What a ridiculous waste of life, as was a lot in that war, poor souls were literally cannon fodder a lot of the time :cry:

I've just got back from our one which is held in ''old werrington" now part of Peterborough, I took my 10yr old daughter. During the last post and the deadly silence which crept amongst us, I put my arms around her and squeezed her gently. I'm not an emotional man but today I think I got something in my eye .

It gets harder each year as well as people move closer and with greater enthusiasm towards the political spectrums and ideologies that bring war about. It's a Hallmark holiday. People used to respect the sacrifice of people who died by trying to build a world that values peace, not by demanding authoritarian obedience to symbols and rituals on one day of the year. I've had 4 pals who died in the ME over the last decade and a half, not one of them ever told me what they were willing to die for, I'm not sure they even knew. Most people didn't die for this or any country out of choice, they were made to by virtue of when they lived and because of a small minority of people who would gladly gamble lives not their own for causes that were entirely for their own gain. It's an utter tragedy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back