Remembrance Sunday -anyone doing anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

In New Zealand? That surprises me.

I'll be on parade for it.
Surprised me too so I did some research online.

New Zealand

New Zealand 's national day of remembrance is Anzac Day, 25 April. "Poppy Day" usually occurs on the Friday before Anzac Day. The reason for New Zealand having their remembrance on Anzac Day happened in 1921. The paper Poppies for Armistice that year arrived by ship too late for 11 November 1921, so an RSA branch distributed them at the next commemoration date (25 April 1922, which happened to be Anzac Day) and that date stuck as the new Poppy Day in New Zealand.

Armistice Day was observed in New Zealand between the World Wars, although it was always secondary to Anzac Day. As in other countries, New Zealand's Armistice Day was converted to Remembrance Day after World War II, but this was not a success. By the mid-1950s the day was virtually ignored, even by churches and veterans' organisations.

Since the Unknown Warrior being returned to New Zealand for Armistice Day 2004, more ceremonies are now being held in New Zealand on Armistice Day and more churches are now observing Remembrance Sunday.

Fair enough, but I've worn my poppy each November for the past 10 years and we'll continue to do so.

Ms Z is going to the morning service and then going to some event at Shields beach at teatime. I can't go to either but will be remembering anyway.
What’s the event at the beach?

Planning on being at Westoe monument today.

I would have gone to the service at the war memorial in our local park, but my son has a match that kicks off at the same time. There’ll be a minutes silence before kick off.

Well it has a bit extra significance for me as it's 10 years today that my dad passed away. I'll be attending the service in Shields at 11am. There's also another at 5pm with fireworks at the sea front that I'll be going to. I'll also watch us beat Port Vale in between.

Torrential rain in Essex but that shouldn't be an excuse to stop in. The old RAF Hornchurch airfield is now a country park and still has remains of pill boxes and other bits there so will be headed over there - if the weather clears up then the planes doing the cenotaph flypast sometime fly directly over on their way. My dad and brother are in Ypres. My son is policing the remembrance day event.at Whitehall

Last edited:

Back