Remembrance Sunday -anyone doing anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
There was a captain in either the 8th or 9th Devons who was a maths teacher in peace time. In the hours before zero hour he observed that the preliminary British bombardment of the German lines had failed to knock out a particular enemy machine gun post near the Devons’ objective that morning.

He used trigonometry to calculate that the angle of the machine gun and the arc it would be firing could only lead to the death of him and all of his men.

He took his calculations back to the command post but was told “sorry, you still have to attack”.

At 07:30 despite knowing what they were walking into they went over the top. They were all killed.

At the end of the day their bodies were brought back to the trench they had attacked from that morning and they were buried in it. A sign was placed nearby: “The Devonshires held this trench, they hold it still”.

Stories like that are what get me.
Jesus Christ, that’s horrific.

Disgusted by that tramp corbyn, he might as well have turned out in a manquinni.
No respect from the self serving ingratiate

Looked a right scruff didn’t he. Every other person around him all smartly turned out, and he’s standing there like he’s disappearing off the shops straight after.

Just home from marching and playing for the service at the cenotaph in South Shields (Westoe). A real priviledge as always.
Off out in an hour to do another Remembrance event in Whitley Bay.
Just watched may daughter march for the Army Cadets down the town. Lets just say it put a bit of dust in my eye. Proud as punch that she played a part of this important day.:D

Just watched may daughter march for the Army Cadets down the town. Lets just say it put a bit of dust in my eye. Proud as punch that she played a part of this important day.:D
To be honest it's seeing the kids lay the wreaths that gets me the most every time. But also this morning when a very elderly gentleman was led from his wheelchair to lay a wreath, seeing him step back and salute - wow. What was even better was that on his way back to his chair he decided he wanted to talk, very loudly, to almost everyone he went past, including the Lord Lieutenant and all of the civic party. Loved it!

Just home from marching and playing for the service at the cenotaph in South Shields (Westoe). A real priviledge as always.
Off out in an hour to do another Remembrance event in Whitley Bay.
Great effort there today, will post pics later.

To be honest it's seeing the kids lay the wreaths that gets me the most every time. But also this morning when a very elderly gentleman was led from his wheelchair to lay a wreath, seeing him step back and salute - wow. What was even better was that on his way back to his chair he decided he wanted to talk, very loudly, to almost everyone he went past, including the Lord Lieutenant and all of the civic party. Loved it!
It was all wonderful to see. It felt quite emotional to see the veterans.

A story from Wheatley Hill:

As Leigh Todd walks in the People’s Procession she will remember her great-aunt Nancy Allen, one of countless women who lost their fiancés and the future they had planned to the Great War.

“She was 21 and she had just got engaged. And then he was called up,” said Leigh, from Scarborough, walking with her husband Richard.

“The effect it had on her. After he was killed she never married. She never had children. Her life was spent looking after her parents.

“She never stopped wearing black and she kept the letters that he wrote to her in a chocolate tin.

“You don’t really think of these women. All the men were away. She lived in a pit village, Wheatley Hill, so I imagine there was nothing for her. There was no future.”

The couple, who have three children – the youngest aged 14 – always commemorate Remembrance Sunday. “We’ve brought the children up to think it is a very important day,” she said.

I think it is brilliant that the descendants can be part of this centenary. I’m feeling really emotional being part of it.”

Armistice Day: silences mark 100 years since end of first world war - live updates

Bristol city centre. Never been to one in my 47 yrs until today. If we hadn’t been right on top of an event we probably wouldn’t have gone though tbh. Wife’s ( no) birthday today and we normally are doing something else on this weekend . As soon as the Bishop ( I think he was) started spouting we left as it boils my wee. Good turn out and made better by a lovely autumn morning.

I mentioned earlier that today is the 10th anniversary of my dad's passing so this day always has a significant meaning for me. My dad was in the Royal Engineers in the 50's for a few years and always stressed the importance of it. Earlier today, his best friend called my mam to see how she is, as he does at the same time each year. The ironic thing is, his name is Claus and he's German and my dad met him during his time in the army. If that doesn't sum up the futility of war, I'm not sure what does.

Back