Remembrance Sunday -anyone doing anything?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

My great Grandmother lost her 7 brothers all at Ypres over the duration of the war.

The impact the Great War had on the family’s of this country should never be forgotten

Simply horrendous, especially Passchendaele, where the mud and general condition of the battlefield was probably just as likely to kill you as the enemy. Probably the worst battle in history in terms of the weather, fighting and living conditions.

I watched a program on the tele a few days ago when a veteran said the only way he could describe Passchendaele was by saying it was like entering hell.

Nobody should have had to go through something like that.

i've been to thiepval a couple of times. i'd defy anyone to go there and not be moved. the first time was after we searched for a relatives grave at a cemetery nearby and thought we'd have a look. didn't realise the pillars had the names carved in till we got closer.
for me it was a pretty strange feeling, anger, pride, emptiness, sorrow all rolled into one. certainly somewhere that leaves a mark.

our village has just had a war memorial put up this year and will be getting unveiled, we will be going there. the bloke who will be unveiling it had just about his whole family wiped out during the war.

Three ye
The people named at the Menin Gate are only lads that couldn't be identified for a specific period of the war iirc. Anyone who was killed and unidentified/no body found after about 1917 is remembered at Tyne Cot iirc.
Yup. They were at tyne cot yesterday. Our family ( as far as i know) only lost one - at Gallipoli serving with 1st Essex in 1915. Actually went to Turkey in 2015 and 100 years to the minute that he went over the top we laid a wreath in the field beyond the trench that he left. Very sobering to be there - his body never recovered.

i've been to thiepval a couple of times. i'd defy anyone to go there and not be moved. the first time was after we searched for a relatives grave at a cemetery nearby and thought we'd have a look. didn't realise the pillars had the names carved in till we got closer.
for me it was a pretty strange feeling, anger, pride, emptiness, sorrow all rolled into one. certainly somewhere that leaves a mark.

our village has just had a war memorial put up this year and will be getting unveiled, we will be going there. the bloke who will be unveiling it had just about his whole family wiped out during the war.

All people with no known grave. Staggering how many families had to accept that they would never have a body or known final resting place to mourn over.

I'll be done with public ceremonies after the centenary one today at the local war memorial. It's not that I don't care. I care a great deal.

The whole thing has been hi-jacked and turned into a dog and pony show. Everyone trying to "faux out-grieve" everyone else in contrived public outpourings - especially on TV. Commentators at sporting events (especially football) hoping some louts will kick-off during the 2 minutes silence so they can pontificate. The zeal of the poppy fascists knowing no bounds. The white poppy brigade. All these things I don't need. It doesn't convey respect. It does just the opposite.

I will pay my own respects every year, in private and with family, in my own way.

Walking down to the remembrance service at the war memorial at about 10.30. Have a young daughter so will only be there for the readings and 2 minutes silence.

My Uncle Jack.
Rear gunner on a Halifax.
Shot down and the only survivor of the crew.
Badly burnt and on the run for days.
Missing presumed dead, telegraph delivered to me nana by another of her sons.
He’d been captured and was in a POW camp.
Got to visit the graves of his crew when me mam and dad took him.
Lived until the age of 92.
One of many stories of ordinary blokes who were hero’s.

Logon or register to see this image
screenshot captor

Back