Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

The only little bit of goodness is there will be no more 'Brothers wars', it just can't happen in this day and age, we stand together. Remarkable.

Brilliant link, thanks.
This fella is a master as well.
Take a look at BabelColour (@StuartHumphryes): BabelColour (@StuartHumphryes) | Twitter

Exactly mate, an utter,utter waste. A street near me had six teenagers killed in one day. Sadly I can't imagine this was out of the ordinary and I'm just trying to imagine the impact this would have on absolutely everyone at the time, slowly seeing all your young men gone.
There was a link on Twitter yesterday where you put your postcode or town in and it gave you the names, records and sometimes photos of the lads killed from around your area. There was a lad from 27 Thornhill Gardens killed, I lived in 26 for years, he'll have walked past my old front window on his way to fight. Humbling. I can't remember the name of the bloody site though.

Brexit is completely relevant to the question. I’ve no idea why you would be offended by my post.

Thread spoilt by the usual suspects. Absolutely ridiculous.
I know what you were getting at by mentioning it, it is relevant to what you were saying, let it lie now though. Don't spoil the thread by stringing it out.

Every face and voice gone forever
Really sad
They aren't now, they're recorded in this. Nobody should ever be allowed to forget.

Last edited:
I’ve always wondered how we could be led into another devestating conflict just 20 short years later. Based on the comments at the end it seemed the public didn’t have an understanding of the horrors of the first war and may come some way to explain.

Must have been heartbreaking for the lads who fought in the first to see us have to do it again, their sons in many cases.

Captivating television which filled me with horror and admiration in equal doses.

Sheer bravery and served up as cannon fodder :evil:

I’ve always wondered how we could be led into another devestating conflict just 20 short years later. Based on the comments at the end it seemed the public didn’t have an understanding of the horrors of the first war and may come some way to explain.

By the sounds of it the public at the time were led to believe it was a walk in the park.

I am so grateful that the imperial war museum take transcripts from veterans so people in the future wont just have still images to look at

I've got a number of embroidered post cards sent back from France and Belgium from a family member on my Dads side.

He went out there in 1914 we believe and survived the lot. One of the cards has the words "thank you very much for the cigarettes, I cant see this war lasting much more than 6 weeks". Its dated 1914. How wrong he was. They couldn't put a lot of detail in their notes back then, but he wrote to my nana a lot. I was told he was a cousin of hers. Most are just letters asking how people are and messages of love. Most of my dads side were of mining stock and hence were down the pits. This weekend has got me thinking I really need to do a lot more research on him, but my mam knows nowt and those on my dad's side which could have shed some light are all dead. A nice little project to get stuck into for the winter months.

On me mams side my granddad, his two brothers and my great granddad all served out there. One of the brothers was killed out there and is in a cemetery in Dernancourt (must go and see that too), and my great granddad succumbed to injuries after he was shipped back here injured. Their service medals are/were in the DLI museum. There is a cracking picture of my granddad in his service uniform with an army dog - it looks like a bit of short haired alsation or similar.
I never knew my granddad as he died quite young before I was born , and my mam blames him being gassed in the trenches for shortening his life.

As we were watching last night my missus said, you never know who could be in those films.

Watched it last night before I went to bed and couldn't sleep thinking about it. Woke up in the night thinking about it, first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning.

Don't know whether to watch it all again, stick on another film about it or try get it out of my head.

Must have been heartbreaking for the lads who fought in the first to see us have to do it again, their sons in many cases.
It’s not like we started it. Nazi expansionism was to blame for that. The more pertinent question was why Hitler was so eager to kick it off again, having been in the trenches himself.

It’s not like we started it. Nazi expansionism was to blame for that. The more pertinent question was why Hitler was so eager to kick it off again, having been in the trenches himself.
'we' just as in humanity, europe, however you want to put it. What was put across last night was the human aspect of the war. I know the rudimentary politics behind WW2 but just from a human aspect with memories being so fresh it's staggering it happened again.

History is written by the winners, and the events/successes of wwii put the appeasement movement into a negative light. However, thankfully there has in recent times been some rewriting of chamberlains time as Prime Minister. Having seen what he saw, suffered how he did Chamberlain was motivated to try and an avoid a second industrial war with Germany. And when you see the footage, you start to see why.

Very good watch, amazing infact. The kids couldn't believe some of the things they were seeing. The colorisation somehow brings it to life.

Slightly related. A couple of months back I was given several hundred postcards sent from Germans in front line hospitals to their families back home. My wifes dad collects covers/stamps etc and was handed them for free from a canadian friend. The postcards have the cartoon like drawings from that time on them. Very interesting.

I will be hosting them on a website soon, will post it on here.

Brilliant film, some of the images are so clear they look like the were filmed yesterday, carnage for nothing really and then again 20 years later, what a mad world we live in and yet we still let the crazy bastards at the top play their macabre games.

I was very struck last night the difference in my feelings watching the black and white footage v the colour footage - the way it changes it seems to drag you into it a lot more - its a very good documentary and an important one as it preserves the footage for future generations.

Harrowing but interesting all the same and it makes me angry to think all those people (on both sides) sent away to die for small strips of land, which in the great scheme of things mean fuck all.

Brilliant film, some of the images are so clear they look like the were filmed yesterday

The quality they have managed to extract from the originals is astounding really.

Anyone who wants to know more without wading through books should listen to Dan Carlin’s Blueprint for Armageddon podcast series, if you haven’t already.

Back