Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

I see Peter Jackson’s grandfather was in the South Wales borderers. I’m certain that they defended rorkes drift against the zulus in of course one of the greatest rear guard actions ever fought by the British army in 1879.
The British force consisted of 'B' Company, 2nd Battalion, 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment, under Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead.
Lieutenant John Chard commanded part of No 5 Field Company, Royal Engineers. There were also a few Natal colonial troops at Rorke’s Drift

The treatment of returning soldiers.

How the fuck we didn’t have a revolution is beyond me
That surprised me too and while not doubting the experiences of those soldiers for one minute, I wonder if there are other accounts. Vera Brittain, who nursed at the front, lost her fiancé and wrote “Testament of Youth”, saw all the war memorials that were put up as a sign of national guilt.

Because we are total exceptionalist and as we see with the likes of Brexit the majority are quite happy to be inconvenienced to demonstrate that we stand apart. We are strange people that people have written many many books about. Nationalist yet libertarians, I guess we are a bit of a contradiction. We won’t be told what to do and under the surface we have a love of our country that perhaps transcends other nations.
Or it could be the fact the authorities basically smashed any opposition to the status quo by using the state to suppress the people.

And you really are a piece of shit for tying to shoehorn Brexit into this thread. ****

Because we are total exceptionalist and as we see with the likes of Brexit the majority are quite happy to be inconvenienced to demonstrate that we stand apart. We are strange people that people have written many many books about. Nationalist yet libertarians, I guess we are a bit of a contradiction. We won’t be told what to do and under the surface we have a love of our country that perhaps transcends other nations.

Why bring Brexit into it ? Seriously can't we just all have one day off from it.

And just comment on what we have just witnessed that's if we can I am not sure I can.

Watching this I begin to understand why there were revolutions all over Europe in response. Why the British took it I don't know. Would we now? No.
Can only really think of Russia, folllowing military blunders and defeats, and Germany at the tail end of the war, and that was the people back at home who were starving etc. rather than their army refusing to go on.

In Britain most were competitively well off and well fed, as well as being relatively democratic and liberal. I don't really think the British "took" any thing that the Europeans wouldn't stand for.....

Can only really think of Russia, folllowing military blunders and defeats, and Germany at the tail end of the war, and that was the people back at home who were starving etc. rather than their army refusing to go on.

In Britain most were competitively well off and well fed, as well as being relatively democratic and liberal. I don't really think the British "took" any thing that the Europeans wouldn't stand for.....
Agreed, that wasn't what I meant.

Or it could be the fact the authorities basically smashed any opposition to the status quo by using the state to suppress the people.

And you really are a piece of shit for tying to shoehorn Brexit into this thread. ****
Brexit is completely relevant to the question. I’ve no idea why you would be offended by my post.

Why bring Brexit into it ? Seriously can't we just all have one day off from it.

And just comment on what we have just witnessed that's if we can I am not sure I can.
Thread spoilt by the usual suspects. Absolutely ridiculous.

Brexit is completely relevant to the question. I’ve no idea why you would be offended by my post.

Thread spoilt by the usual suspects. Absolutely ridiculous.
It kind of is obviously however timing wise I think it would of been better leaving it for tomorrow to post and simply watch and reflect today on a great piece of work.
Don’t think abuse was called for tho

Brilliant production, the colour makes it seem as though you're there but watching from the safety of your living room. I've watched countless black and white WW1 documentaries but this tops the lot. What a bloody waste of life, did politicians learn anything from it? My great uncle had only been over there 3 weeks when he was killed in action aged 20, his body was never recovered. Watching this I don't know if I could have gone through something like this, madness, shear bloody hell.

Logon or register to see this image

Back