Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

The colourisation is superb and really brings it to life. Some horrendous scenes of corpses and it puts it all into a perspective. There is a strange kind of romanticism about it all, in sharp contrast of course to the barbarity of it all. Quite surreal.

Very sad that our ancestors endured this.

The trenches are absolutely horrendous.

Last edited:
I see Peter Jackson’s grandfather was in the South Wales borderers. I’m certain that they defended rorkes drift against the zulus in of course one of the greatest rear guard actions ever fought by the British army in 1879.

I am not sure how describe what I have just seen. Or if I should even attempt to do so. But it was nice to hear from the men themselves for a change, if this doesn't get a bafta I will be shocked.

The treatment of returning soldiers.

How the fuck we didn’t have a revolution is beyond me
Because we are total exceptionalist and as we see with the likes of Brexit the majority are quite happy to be inconvenienced to demonstrate that we stand apart. We are strange people that people have written many many books about. Nationalist yet libertarians, I guess we are a bit of a contradiction. We won’t be told what to do and under the surface we have a love of our country that perhaps transcends other nations.

That was an utterly utterly brilliant piece of film making and at the same time the most horrific thing iv ever seen.

Those poor lads, kids many of them having to go through that. Horrible.

Back