Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

Watched it last night before I went to bed and couldn't sleep thinking about it. Woke up in the night thinking about it, first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning.

Don't know whether to watch it all again, stick on another film about it or try get it out of my head.
I know what you mean as it stayed with me all of last night.

I've mentioned this before but as a soldier in WW2 my Dad befriended a German family and was still corresponding and sending them food parcels after the war. I still have their photos. He was very attached to Gretl whose husband was mia.

Looking at my grandads Military log card yesterday at my Mam's .He died 1960 two years before i appeared.Can't remember my mother speaking much about it.Born 1895,joined up 1914,discharged woundered just under two years later in 1916 .Shot in Gallipoli .Fascinating to read the card which includes his character reference .Commended on being "sober"

I doubt I am ever going to be able to put into words, what we all witnessed last night, I also think it may have just replaced World at War as the best historical telling of what war is really like, however what I still can't explain, is that given everything the leaders of that time saw at the front, how did they allow themselves to be drawn into world war 2 years later, I thought maybe if I learned a bit more about the 1920s and 30s it may explain it so that's what I am going to do plenty of podcasts around and stuff online etc, maybe it may put into some context.

The appeasement of Hitler in trying to avert another World War in the end partially caused it.

I am sure other factors were at play, the way the allies treated Germany after the war with the The Treaty of Versailles maybe, the Wall street crash of 1929 also.

Was amazed by it: I was hooked from the moment it went in. Last watched The Great War 10 years back. The transition from ancient footage to pristine HD was jaw dropping. I’ve not felt like that since watching Schindler’s List or the first 30 mins of saving private Ryan.
All my lot were down pits from Blyth to Silksworth.

Was amazed by it: I was hooked from the moment it went in. Last watched The Great War 10 years back. The transition from ancient footage to pristine HD was jaw dropping. I’ve not felt like that since watching Schindler’s List or the first 30 mins of saving private Ryan.
All my lot were down pits from Blyth to Silksworth.

I know the colour was brilliant but I thought the thing that really helped bring it to life was the filling in of the frames so that you could see the movement of people in real time, rather than like a Charlie Chaplin film.

Christ knows how long it took them to remaster all that.

I know the colour was brilliant but I thought the thing that really helped bring it to life was the filling in of the frames so that you could see the movement of people in real time, rather than like a Charlie Chaplin film.

Christ knows how long it took them to remaster all that.
The power of modern CGI.

The slowing of the footage, the colour, the filling in of what’s been said, watching that, it suddenly become more real.

Lads, just like us, a bit less worldly, but very similar. What they must’ve seen.

What got me was the sadness that they’re all gone now, not a living soul left who can pass on in person their memories. It just felt we got to know them all too.

Imagine going to work in banks etc then saying feck it I’ll go to war.

We’d be fecked expecting folk to do that now and I probably include myself in that.

I doubt I am ever going to be able to put into words, what we all witnessed last night, I also think it may have just replaced World at War as the best historical telling of what war is really like, however what I still can't explain, is that given everything the leaders of that time saw at the front, how did they allow themselves to be drawn into world war 2 years later, I thought maybe if I learned a bit more about the 1920s and 30s it may explain it so that's what I am going to do plenty of podcasts around and stuff online etc, maybe it may put into some context.

What do you mean by 'drawn into world war 2'?

What do you mean by 'drawn into world war 2'?

Just that, after everything they had seen how they did not see how dangerous hitler rise was earlier and maybe help Germany out financially so a lot of the problems that the people suffered eased, so he did not gain power.

I wonder how many times the average Tommy went over the top? I am assuming he served the whole four years and survived.

Not sure how anyone could cope with even one.

Back