Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

I’ve got that set up to record, should be quite fascinating.

Whilst doing family tree research, I discovered that one of my Grandma’s brothers had joined up to serve during WW1 when he was only 15 in August 1917 and his documentation has Royal Field Artillery as his unit(?) but that’s all I know.

My great grandad on my dad's side fought at
paschendale but survived. I know very little about him apart from at some point he was gassed.
He died a relitave young man (early fifties I think)
My Nan (his daughter) said he wasn't a broken man but was haunted by the things he had seen.
The only keepsakes iv got are some beautifully crafted linnen postcards sent back from the front to his family.
I really wish I knew more about the man.

I found it wasn't not really the colour but that helps but the fact they have it at the correct speed and its not a Charlie Chaplin type comedy - you get the reluctance to walk towards the Germans - they still did it mind.
This. Computing horsepower now means they can render frames between the originals to bring it up to 24 frames per second, rather than the original 15 it was shot at. That’s what makes it real

My grandad never spoke about the Second World War but my dad revelled in his national service in the royal engineers

My mam put an end to me going to join up, which would have been around the time of the falklands war

My granda was a medic in WW II and he never spoke about it. He never even applied for his medals - my mam had to do it without telling him. The last time i spoke to him before he died i asked him about it and he just said "I've spent most of my life trying to forget about it. i'm not going to bring it back now."

He died a week later.

Ancestry iirc. It was years back. Or possibly one relating to the forces.

It was one that was advertised on the telly regularly.
Cheers mate, I've been on Ancestry today searching through the military records, for anyone interested these records can be viewed free for a limited time. *Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 8/11/18 to 12/11/18 at 23:59 GMT. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view the records in the featured collections using an Ancestry All Access Membership. To see a full list of the records in the featured collections

World War I – WWI Military Records – Ancestry

Logon or register to see this image

Cheers mate, I've been on Ancestry today searching through the military records, for anyone interested these records can be viewed free for a limited time. *Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 8/11/18 to 12/11/18 at 23:59 GMT. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view the records in the featured collections using an Ancestry All Access Membership. To see a full list of the records in the featured collections

World War I – WWI Military Records – Ancestry

Logon or register to see this image
Thinking back I think it was an offer such as this, I used

They even had a write up in a ledger on what my great grandad had on him, when he was found dead

Think the best bit is the part when they take the Germans prisoners. Most of them look completely knackered and thankful it's all over.

18,19 year olds forced to kill each other. Horrible.

Exactly mate, an utter,utter waste. A street near me had six teenagers killed in one day. Sadly I can't imagine this was out of the ordinary and I'm just trying to imagine the impact this would have on absolutely everyone at the time, slowly seeing all your young men gone.

Saw this two weeks ago at the cinema - was brilliant and everyone should watch it

Reworking the film into colour was pretty powerful, but it was the voice overs of the veterans which gave the film real depth. The stories were horrific and makes you realise how awful the trenches were

Back