Peter Jackson’s They Shall Not Grow Old BBC2

I couldn't believe they were walking. Not running, ducking, taking cover etc.

I said something similar to the missus last night. Case of "how can it be worse than what we have now". They were wrong, but I guess it made sense at the time.
Never understood why you would send your resource into almost certain death.

They must have assumed that this resource was available in an unlimited supply.

That was one bit that got me too. How he knew it was the best thing he could do, but it was still horrible.

And unless I misheard, some young lad getting stuck in the mud, and sinking to his death - and nobody could do anything about it.

I believe he said the look on the lads face was pathetic.

I can't begin to understand what these men went through or how they coped during and after the war. Relieved I didn't see this at the pictures as I was in floods. The transition from black and white to colour just overwhelmed me.
was the best bit for me, found it quietly traumatic.

It`s on at the Tyneside Cinema at the end of the month in 3D. Really fancy watching it on a big screen to get the full impact. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Was roaming the digital recorder thingy and found I’d saved a show called ‘Apocalypse WW1’ or something which was a several episode series in a similar vein. The footage was colourised and less jerky than what you usually get with vintage stock, and there was a commentary rather than soldiers’ voices. I’m guessing it’s not as slickly produced as Jackson’s entry but still well worth a watch for those interested.

Back