New Music Releases Thread

The regular Rough Trade shops releases email has arrived. Their top recommendations include albums by Desperate Journalist, Tullycraft, Spellling, Le Superhomard (they're French), NOV3L and Modeselektor. Also a couple of interesting box sets: Big Gold Dreams - A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977 - 1989 and, er, Gary Crowley's Lost 80s.
Desperate Journalist are decent

Desperate Journalist are decent

Yeah. Of that lot, it's probably them and Le Superhomard I'm most interested in. Also the box sets (no idea what's happened with font size there) but they can wait.

I also missed out albums by Adia Victoria and Our Native Daughters, both of which get excellent reviews in today's Guardian. The latter are something of an African American folk/banjo supergroup (including the excellent Rhiannon Giddens) so something I'll definitely listen to.

I've just had the Sleaford Mods album on. It's alright but they seem to have evolved where Williamson has toned it down a bit, he's not as shouty and sweary as he was a few albums ago

The regular Rough Trade shops releases email has arrived. Their top recommendations include albums by Desperate Journalist, Tullycraft, Spellling, Le Superhomard (they're French), NOV3L and Modeselektor. Also a couple of interesting box sets: Big Gold Dreams - A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977 - 1989 and, er, Gary Crowley's Lost 80s.
I'll give Desperate Journalist a punt - liked their album a couple of years ago and played it a lot , even if it was a bit indie by numbers. Big Gold Dreams sounds interesting, too - did anyone watch that documentary fairly recently about Postcard etc? Same name I think.

How was it then?

Julia Jacklin had good reviews so listened to that first this morning. It’s fine. But instantly forgettable

Traffic was heavy getting over to Brooklyn, so we only caught the last 2-3 songs of TA - sounded decent enough.

Mould was fantastic - almost 2 hours, around 30 songs, you could tell he just wanted to keep playing. good mix of stuff - 6-7 Husker songs, 4-5 Sugar songs

Last edited:
I’m really enjoying the new Claypool Lennon Delirium album. There’s literally nothing like them around. A lot of Beatles-y sections and queen type operatics in amongst the Primusy prog-rock weirdness. My only criticism is that it’s not as weird or bass-heavy as the first album and there’s only one or two tracks that would fit with the last record.

The best of the new tracks from my release radar this week...

Pictures - Judah & the Lion feat. Kacey Musgraves
Time is the killer - Rain Phoenix, Michael Stipe
For only love - Lali Puna

Unthanks album (well albums really) is/are beautiful. Desperate Journalist is a 7/10. Kel Assouf, which isn't quite new, is pretty ace. Tuareg desert blues gone somewhat rifftastic.
I was listening to an album mentioned on the message board (Desperate Journalist), while typing on the message board, when track 3 mentioned typing on a message board - I was worried I might have caused a rip in time and space or something. :eek: I liked it but preferred their previous effort on first listen. Probably right with a 7 - solid but not spectacular

So, beyond the stuff I mentioned earlier...

Teeth of the Sea - very nice indeed! Primarily instrumental post-rock with more trumpet than expected.
The Claypool Lennon Delirium - bloody weirdos! @Mickdundee's description above is pretty accurate but I think this is quite commercially viable.
James Yorkston - probably his least folk album yet. Some lovely ballads, some spoken word over interesting tunes type stuff.
3x4 - 80s LA slightly psychedelic rock bands covering other 80s LA slightly psychedelic rock bands. Has its ups and downs. The Bangles are the best known band on there, Dream Syndicate probably the best.
Julia Jacklin - enjoyable! More laidback than her debut was or, indeed, the Phantastic Ferniture album was.
du Blonde - better than I expected based on the reviews. Essentially grungey pop with psychedelic and folk influences.
Martin Frawley - Former singer of Aussie band Twerps. This is an excellent example of the Antipodean indie album. Reminds me a lot of The Chills and, to a degree, The Go Betweens.
Sleaford Mods - decent enough. Sounds like nobody much else. Not sure they're evolving massively.
Murray A Lightburn - literate indie rock. A bit less guitarish than his work with The Dears. A solid 7.5/10 type album.
Our Native Daughters - folk/Americana, quite marvellous! As I mentioned, a bit of an all female banjo supergroup. Songs are blooming excellent as are the voices, harmonies etc.

So, beyond the stuff I mentioned earlier...

Teeth of the Sea - very nice indeed! Primarily instrumental post-rock with more trumpet than expected.
The Claypool Lennon Delirium - bloody weirdos! @Mickdundee's description above is pretty accurate but I think this is quite commercially viable.
James Yorkston - probably his least folk album yet. Some lovely ballads, some spoken word over interesting tunes type stuff.
3x4 - 80s LA slightly psychedelic rock bands covering other 80s LA slightly psychedelic rock bands. Has its ups and downs. The Bangles are the best known band on there, Dream Syndicate probably the best.
Julia Jacklin - enjoyable! More laidback than her debut was or, indeed, the Phantastic Ferniture album was.
du Blonde - better than I expected based on the reviews. Essentially grungey pop with psychedelic and folk influences.
Martin Frawley - Former singer of Aussie band Twerps. This is an excellent example of the Antipodean indie album. Reminds me a lot of The Chills and, to a degree, The Go Betweens.
Sleaford Mods - decent enough. Sounds like nobody much else. Not sure they're evolving massively.
Murray A Lightburn - literate indie rock. A bit less guitarish than his work with The Dears. A solid 7.5/10 type album.
Our Native Daughters - folk/Americana, quite marvellous! As I mentioned, a bit of an all female banjo supergroup. Songs are blooming excellent as are the voices, harmonies etc.
I really liked the Frawley record

Back