New Music Releases Thread

Something of a bumper week this week. New albums from: Badflower, Cochemea Gastelum, Dream Theater, Drenge, du Blonde, Feels, Gary Clark Jr, Yames Yorkston, Julia Jacklin, Kehlani, Last in Line, Lily & Madeleine, Martin Frawley, Murray A Lightburn, Overkill, Sleaford Mods, Telekinesis, The Claypool Lennon Delirium, The Gloaming, Vandoliers, Yola, Lil Pump, The Unthanks, Teeth of the Sea, Susanna & the Brotherhood of Our Lady, R Stevie Moore and the 3x4 compilation (members of the The Bangles, The 3 O'Clock. Rain Parade and The Dream Syndicate covering each others' songs).

Probably 7 or 8 of interest to me there...

Something of a bumper week this week. New albums from: Badflower, Cochemea Gastelum, Dream Theater, Drenge, du Blonde, Feels, Gary Clark Jr, Yames Yorkston, Julia Jacklin, Kehlani, Last in Line, Lily & Madeleine, Martin Frawley, Murray A Lightburn, Overkill, Sleaford Mods, Telekinesis, The Claypool Lennon Delirium, The Gloaming, Vandoliers, Yola, Lil Pump, The Unthanks, Teeth of the Sea, Susanna & the Brotherhood of Our Lady, R Stevie Moore and the 3x4 compilation (members of the The Bangles, The 3 O'Clock. Rain Parade and The Dream Syndicate covering each others' songs).

Teeth of the sea is getting great reviews so that’ll be first in my list. Unsure if anything else on there is for me.

6 music been playing new stuff off Ibibio Sound System album.
If you love African disco funk ( and who doesn’t ) you’ll love it.

Last Du Blonde record was canny. The stuff I've heard live from this new one wasn't up to much mind, but we'll see. Might be a surprise.

I’ve never been that impressed with her to be honest and like a few have said reviews been a bit iffy. I’ll skim a couple of tracks though to see

Loving Teeth of the Sea (Master). But then, I like Tangerine Dream......

I’ve been listening to the two lead tracks of it this morning and it’s very good.

Last edited:

A few in there I'll take a punt at - first glance I'd say Drenge, Unthanks, possibly Telekinesis, and maybe Murray Lightburn - the Bangles one sounds moderately interesting, too. Don't know numerous names there so any other recommendations for an indie/alt/punk/folk lover?

Bob Mould / Titus Andronicus for me tonight. Curious to see TA – I’ve seen them mentioned quite a bit on here, and they’re a local band for me, often playing around and about, yet I’ve never got around to seeing them. I feel like they’ve generally been mentioned positively on here but seem to recall somewhat mixed response to the last album (which I’m finally listening to – couple of tracks in)?

A few in there I'll take a punt at - first glance I'd say Drenge, Unthanks, possibly Telekinesis, and maybe Murray Lightburn - the Bangles one sounds moderately interesting, too. Don't know numerous names there so any other recommendations for an indie/alt/punk/folk lover?

Bob Mould / Titus Andronicus for me tonight. Curious to see TA – I’ve seen them mentioned quite a bit on here, and they’re a local band for me, often playing around and about, yet I’ve never got around to seeing them. I feel like they’ve generally been mentioned positively on here but seem to recall somewhat mixed response to the last album (which I’m finally listening to – couple of tracks in)?
First (?) album was excellent, but they have got steadily worse for me

Decent live

Teeth of the Sea as mentioned are making post-rock waves. Julia Jacklin is excellent. Sort of slacker indie stuff with a smattering of folk. A recent single:

As always, I'll try to persuade someone to listen to James Yorkston as he's one of the artists I'd describe myself as a proper fan of. Latest two singles:

Teeth of the Sea as mentioned are making post-rock waves. Julia Jacklin is excellent. Sort of slacker indie stuff with a smattering of folk. A recent single:

As always, I'll try to persuade someone to listen to James Yorkston as he's one of the artists I'd describe myself as a proper fan of. Latest two singles:

Thanks much, I'll get on those this afternoon

Like those. Jacklin is definitely the kind of thing I would listen to - I'll check her out.
That first Yorkston one lands right in my Ed Harcourt, Dan Mangan, Greg Laswell sweet spot. My cuppa. Oddly, when I heard it I thought, coincidentally, that it sounded how I would picture a Murray Lightburn solo track to sound (I haven;t heard his solo stuff so I could be way off, but it sounded kind of Dears-y)

Last edited:

How was it then?

Julia Jacklin had good reviews so listened to that first this morning. It’s fine. But instantly forgettable

So fuck all then, ah well, back to Earth Wind and Fire.

Yola I was waiting for. Could have been made in late 60s. Got tickets for sage 2. Such a great voice.

The regular Rough Trade shops releases email has arrived. Their top recommendations include albums by Desperate Journalist, Tullycraft, Spellling, Le Superhomard (they're French), NOV3L and Modeselektor. Also a couple of interesting box sets: Big Gold Dreams - A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977 - 1989 and, er, Gary Crowley's Lost 80s.

Back