New Music Releases Thread

They are. TBH, there's more amongst that lot than in my original list. No idea what Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard are like but the name is suitably bad...
I considered that as my user name on here before settling for The Lonious Monk.

You’ll probably like them.

The pun only adds to it
Listening to the song Rechargeable right now... good stuff.

According to Google they are Welsh stoner/doom metal with female vocals. Looks like they have some Welsh language songs too.
I still think I'm more deserving of the name, but whatever

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3x4 project thingy sounds interesting. Anyone heard it yet? I remember Peel playing all of Days Of Wine and Roses just after he got it. Always loved the paisley underground mob. Any chance of a joint tour?

The Big Gold Dream boxset anarl. I’ve probably owned and sold most of em on it. In an era of playlists and Spotify etc is there any market for BGD and Crowley’s box set?

What’s Robert Forsters one like? The Go Betweens seem to get nowt but good press these days since Grant died and the fillum and Forsters book yet back in the day they were considered nowt more than also rans by the music press. RFs sons in a band called The Goon Sax....any good?

I missed the new Skinny Lister album off (that's come up via Rough Trade). Beyond that, albums by Potty Mouth and Thighpaulsandra.

The 3x4 project thingy sounds interesting. Anyone heard it yet? I remember Peel playing all of Days Of Wine and Roses just after he got it. Always loved the paisley underground mob. Any chance of a joint tour?

The Big Gold Dream boxset anarl. I’ve probably owned and sold most of em on it. In an era of playlists and Spotify etc is there any market for BGD and Crowley’s box set?

What’s Robert Forsters one like? The Go Betweens seem to get nowt but good press these days since Grant died and the fillum and Forsters book yet back in the day they were considered nowt more than also rans by the music press. RFs sons in a band called The Goon Sax....any good?

3x4 is decent but not brilliant. As I mentioned earlier. The Dream Syndicate are the best band on it. Worth a listen. No idea about the tour.

Forster's solo stuff is generally very good. This has some cracking reviews. Not given it a listen yet.

With the box set compilations, I think the key is to have enough stuff on there that may well not be on the usual streaming services. There are a hell of a lot of obscurities out there. Throw in early recordings by bands people know and they'll sell reasonably well. There's a Steve Lamacq comp coming later this month that seems to be similar to Crowley's but 90s indie guitar band based. Because of my age, I probably know the stuff on that better than the Crowley thing.

The goon sax album is one of my favourites from last year. Their first album is canny good anarl.

Have to admit, I enjoyed last year's but prefer the debut. @riffraff, they're worth a listen. The son is clearly influenced by the dad.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, will give that listen - enjoyed their previous 2 and seeing them in May. Didn’t know they had new stuff coming out! Might have potential for @Mickdundee from a folk-punk perspective
Cheers. This week was looking like a total bust for me, so now I have something to check out. I’m in a folky Punk mood this week too - been listening to a lot of AJJs stuff.

Watched the sequel to the Big Gold Dream movie this weekend - Teenage Superstars - well worth a watch if you’ve not seen it and have a passing interest in Scottish indie. It takes up from where BGD ends and covers the Glasgow/Bellshill scene from mid80s to early 90s - Teenage Fanclub, Soup Dragons, BMX Bandits, Pastels, Vaselines, JAMC, Creation Records etc

Watched the sequel to the Big Gold Dream movie this weekend - Teenage Superstars - well worth a watch if you’ve not seen it and have a passing interest in Scottish indie. It takes up from where BGD ends and covers the Glasgow/Bellshill scene from mid80s to early 90s - Teenage Fanclub, Soup Dragons, BMX Bandits, Pastels, Vaselines, JAMC, Creation Records etc

That's very much my era... will look out for it.

That's very much my era... will look out for it.
It was free on Amazon Prime if you have that (well it was in the States). Both movies were good but the first was fractionally before my time - Postcard, Fast Product, etc - this one was right in my wheelhouse. Also features Primal Scream/Bobby G, Strawberry Switchblade and others

It was free on Amazon Prime if you have that (well it was in the States). Both movies were good but the first was fractionally before my time - Postcard, Fast Product, etc - this one was right in my wheelhouse. Also features Primal Scream/Bobby G, Strawberry Switchblade and others

I should get Prime but don't have it. For me, the first one starts when I was in my formative music taste years but the back of the 80s and early to mid 90s were my prime youthful gig going days.

Back