New Music Releases Thread

New Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johannson video premiers exclusively on Apple Music at about 4AM tomorrow morning!
I’ve had the new track on all the way to work. It surprised me a little as I was expecting “The Break Up” mark 2, and this is definitely an 80s influenced, synthy, indie-pop/rock track. I think Pete’s voice perhaps sounds out of place a little bit but really enjoying it.

There's a new Jeffrey Lewis album this week as well. I've had a shocker here. Missed out releases by two of my favourite artists...
You’re a disgrace. I would replace you next week if I could be arsed

So Drinks is very very poor
Lord Huron is fine I guess, but have deleted already
Alexis Taylor is good on first listen, will give another shot
Sting & Shaggy is...well.....dreadful

Tomorrow's new releases: Albert Hammond Jr, August Greene (hiphop supergroup featuring Common), David Byrne, Editors, Gengahr, Erasure, Judas Priest, Ministry, Myles Kennedy, Nap Eyes, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats, Of Montreal, The Fratellis, Young Fathers, Eric Chenaux and Hailu Mergia
Totally out of my musical comfort zone this weekend but I'll be checking out a large portion of the new Ministry album live - I'm a little nervous about it :eek: Pretty sure no one will be wanting feedback:lol:

So, any good gigs coming up?

I have

Protomartyr
The National with Broken Social Scene
LCD Soundsystem
Bjork
(those Victoria Park things)
Drahla
Flat Worms
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks
Ty Segall
Alvo Noto and Sakamoto

And EOTR

I have

Protomartyr
LCD Soundsystem
Bjork
Drahla
Flat Worms
Ty Segall
Alvo Noto and Sakamoto

And EOTR
nada surf
Stephen adams
Titus adronicus

No more than about 45 quid all in. Definitely the way to go, ive more or less sacked off the big acts as that money wouldnt have bought you any more than five minutes of ronnie woods left bollock on the stones tour.

I have

Protomartyr
LCD Soundsystem
Bjork
Drahla
Flat Worms
Ty Segall
Alvo Noto and Sakamoto

And EOTR

The liminanas
Wooden shjips
Jon Hopkins
LCD Soundsystem ( but also buzzing to see Hookworms, Confidence Man, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Hercules and George Fitzgerald on same bill ).

Sting and Shaggy ffs :lol: who's bright idea was that dream team?

Listened to some of it earlier. In the first song Sting starts f***ing rambling on about how he's haunted by the ghost of Bob Marley. There's a lyric about him drowning or something and then he sees his good friend Shaggy who tells him to go and spend some time with him.

It might be the best song I've ever heard.

The liminanas
Wooden shjips
Jon Hopkins
LCD Soundsystem ( but also buzzing to see Hookworms, Confidence Man, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Hercules and George Fitzgerald on same bill ).

Hookworms are fuckin great as well. Mad how they've got Ought supporting them at their next London gig. :lol: This new record has just gone up.

Listened to some of it earlier. In the first song Sting starts f***ing rambling on about how he's haunted by the ghost of Bob Marley. There's a lyric about him drowning or something and then he sees his good friend Shaggy who tells him to go and spend some time with him.

It might be the best song I've ever heard.
:lol::lol: if I was Sting I'd be taking a.long long hard look at myself in the mirror...before sticking my heed through it.

Liminanas are excellent, looking forward to them at EOTR

where you seeing Hopkins?

And wasn’t aware Hookworms were on LCD bill....

Hopkins is on at boiler room in Newcastle.

Yeah buzzing to see Hookworms as missedd out at Cluny a few weeks back.

Hookworms are fuckin great as well. Mad how they've got Ought supporting them at their next London gig. :lol: This new record has just gone up.

Hookworms is neck and neck with amen dunes in my album of the year.
By making the new album slightly more accessible is thrown them in the ( semi ) big time. Really happy for them as it was only a year ago when their studio flooded and they lost all equipment

Last edited:

I have

Protomartyr
LCD Soundsystem
Bjork
Drahla
Flat Worms
Ty Segall
Alvo Noto and Sakamoto

And EOTR
Just did Ministry on Saturday

Breeders
Editors
Frank Turner
Decemberists
Dropkick Murphys/Flogging Molly
Cure/Interpol/Editors/Ride/Slowdive/Twilight Sad
Belly

So, usually weekly review:

Drinks: as @chunkylover53 says, very poor! Mercifull short.
Jeffrey Lewis: covers of Tuli Kupferberg songs. He was co-founder of The Fugs. This is a lot of fun!
Alexis Taylor: pretty marvellous!
"Bonnie" Prince Billy: It's a cover of a Susanna album. Less country than Will Oldham's usual albums. Very good!
Old Crow Medicine Show: a well crafted bluegrass hoedown.
The Shacks: Think this came out a week or two back. 60s/70s pop with a shoegazey undertone and whispered vocals. Well worth a listen!

Back