New Music Releases Thread

been on a downhill trajectory live since I first saw them touring motown junk at the riverside. dressed in stenciled rags and cheap supermarket white denim, with only about thirty people there, the fury of the performance was electrifying and they still smashed up their equipment. seen them every tour thereafter til the edwards disappearance but they never quite reached the same intensity imo mate
Wish I had seen them that early mate, my first time was the pre everything must go tour at the city hall.

been on a downhill trajectory live since I first saw them touring motown junk at the riverside. dressed in stenciled rags and cheap supermarket white denim, with only about thirty people there, the fury of the performance was electrifying and they still smashed up their equipment. seen them every tour thereafter til the edwards disappearance but they never quite reached the same intensity imo mate
Was that early 92? I was there, I remember Nicky Wire goading the crowd saying something like "C'mon you Northern bastards, jump about" :)

Saw him last night. Wasn't very good. I'll have to give the new album a listen though, the situation didn't really suit his style of music.

He's playing Moth Club next Tuesday for nowt if anyone is in London.

I presume that was supporting Alex Cameron ? That’s how I became familiar with him.
How was the gig ?

Saw him last night. Wasn't very good. I'll have to give the new album a listen though, the situation didn't really suit his style of music.

He's playing Moth Club next Tuesday for nowt if anyone is in London.
Which are your favourite venues in London?

Sa them around that time as well, Leeds Duchess, 9 songs, smash guitars and off, marvellous!

First listen suggests the glorious late career run is over :cry: but what a run it was

They also released a lot of crap mind, half of GT and GATS was complete filler

Saying that, the Holy Bible is a perfect record.

They haven’t released a good album since Journal for Plague Lovers
Wrong! Last five have been class. RiF I'm not sure about though

Listened to the debut album from Confidence Man today. Its unashamedly brash, camp, pop / house ( i think that's how to describe it ) but its also really good and really catchy. It's not going to be to many peoples taste on here but you never know ;).
Looking forward to seeing them live at All Points East in May.

Listened to the debut album from Confidence Man today. Its unashamedly brash, camp, pop / house ( i think that's how to describe it ) but its also really good and really catchy. It's not going to be to many peoples taste on here but you never know ;).
Looking forward to seeing them live at All Points East in May.

Aye, that's one I missed from my list. Getting very good reviews!

I presume that was supporting Alex Cameron ? That’s how I became familiar with him.
How was the gig ?

It was great actually, much better than December. I didn't even fancy this one either, bought tickets when I was battered last week. :oops: Turned out okay in the end!
Which are your favourite venues in London?

The Shacklewell Arms, The Sebright Arms, The Waiting Room, The Lexington.

Anywhere I can walk/cycle back from!

Seems like a relatively quiet week for new releases. We have albums from A Place To Bury Strangers, Brazilian Girls, Derek Smalls, John Prine, Juliana Hatfield, King Tuff, Laura Viers, Mouse On Mars, Slug, The Damned, Tinashe, Simone Felice, Josh Rouse, Josh T Pearson and Manic Street Preachers.
As a heads up, this one is a covers album, not new material (Olivia Newton-Aycliffe songs). It's the international release today - was out over here last month. It's decent and cute enough.

So a quick summary of the new stuff I've listened to over the weekend:

Laura Veirs - really good (which is her normal standard). One of her better solo albums
Mouse On Mars - interesting. Their usual mix of avante garde and could be a hit with the wind in the right direction. They've never quite matched the Von Südenfed album they made with Mark E Smith.
Josh T Pearson - enjoyable, fun poppy Americana. Not sure it matches up to Lift to Experience or 'Last of the Country Gentlemen'.
Confidence Man - as @mad cyril said, really fun and infectious. Probably my album of the week!
Manic Street Preachers - it's okay. Won't go down as one of their better albums.
Simone Felice - really good fragile country/folk from the former Felice Brother (still a Felice brother by family, of course).
Slug - good. Sounds a lot like Field Music but maybe a bit more poppy.

So a quick summary of the new stuff I've listened to over the weekend:

Laura Veirs - really good (which is her normal standard). One of her better solo albums
Mouse On Mars - interesting. Their usual mix of avante garde and could be a hit with the wind in the right direction. They've never quite matched the Von Südenfed album they made with Mark E Smith.
Josh T Pearson - enjoyable, fun poppy Americana. Not sure it matches up to Lift to Experience or 'Last of the Country Gentlemen'.
Confidence Man - as @mad cyril said, really fun and infectious. Probably my album of the week!
Manic Street Preachers - it's okay. Won't go down as one of their better albums.
Simone Felice - really good fragile country/folk from the former Felice Brother (still a Felice brother by family, of course).
Slug - good. Sounds a lot like Field Music but maybe a bit more poppy.

Yeah I'm still hammering the Confidence Man album, the suns been out so I've had a few beers in the garden with it pretty much on repeat !

Also been listening to the new Album from Mr Fingers, its very very laid back house with a real jazz influence. Need to listen to Slug just never had time as of yet.

Mentioned this a while back, but I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats, a various artists remake of All Hail West Texas, finally came out digitally on April 6 - got my preorder this weekend. I think it's a cracking little album for a various artists tribute. Good mix of stuff - most of the artists I didn't know, but it features Laura Jane Grace, Craig Finn, Andrew Bird, and Erin McKeown. It was spawned from the very entertaining podcast of the same name, where they've been doing it a track at a time.

Mentioned this a while back, but I Only Listen to the Mountain Goats, a various artists remake of All Hail West Texas, finally came out digitally on April 6 - got my preorder this weekend. I think it's a cracking little album for a various artists tribute. Good mix of stuff - most of the artists I didn't know, but it features Laura Jane Grace, Craig Finn, Andrew Bird, and Erin McKeown. It was spawned from the very entertaining podcast of the same name, where they've been doing it a track at a time.

Mentioned it on the previous page. I've been looking up some of the less well known artists... Nana Grizol and Eliza Rickman particularly...

Ive just been listening to The new album by the Young Fathers, "coco sugar"
Really good collection of tracks, not my usual genre of music but very intense lyrics and fantastic production. Definitely in the trip /hop genre but more satisfying listening.
Really tempted to listen to their other outputs after hearing this album.

Back