Moving back to Durham - City or surroundings villages?

I'm exiled away but love Weardale too. You could try Philadelphia, Success, Shiney Row, Easington Lane, Bog Row, Dubmire, Quebec, Toronto, Close House, Page Bank, Browney, New Brancepeth and Ushaw Moor ,Esh Winning,
if you are moving from down south, i.e. York and all points south you'll be able to buy a street. Good luck.

New Brancepeth, Ushaw Moor and Esh Winning?????

I've lived in all three. Unless you know what to expect don't go there. Crime, rampant drug use, feral kids...........

Parkside has always been decent to be fair. I'm amazed to hear that it had a reputation of being rough 20 years ago which was when I was there.

Hunwick is canny. Used to play cricket for them.

I went to wolsingham, wasn't rough just full of hillbilly's. Left in 92 like.

I take the youngest down the cricket every Friday, he's in the under 9s. It's a good set up

I went to wolsingham, wasn't rough just full of hillbilly's. Left in 92 like.

I take the youngest down the cricket every Friday, he's in the under 9s. It's a good set up

Under 9s at Hunwick? Christ we struggled for an under 15s and 18s.

John Pratt used to be the main man. Perhaps his son Chris Pratt has taken over. Used to go to school with him and play for Hunwick cricket team along with Browny, John Rich and Ash Coveney. All sound lads.

Joiners arms is a decent pub as well.

Last edited:
Aye, I’m even more confused now!

Definitely going to have a drive up Willington way though, the feedback is positive overall for Parkside. I’ll be looking to join a cricket club too, looks like Willington have a nice set up.

A lot of money has been invested into the cricket club.

Nice clubhouse as well.

Not sure how the footy team is doing. Don't know if they're still playing Wearside league or back in northern league 2nd Division.

They had quite a few volunteers from local towns helping out with maintenance which was really good of them.

Both my brothers live near the cricket club.

Last edited:
Under 9s at Hunwick? Christ we struggled for an under 15s and 18s.

John Pratt used to be the main man. Perhaps his son Chris Pratt has taken over. Used to go to school with him and play for Hunwick cricket team along with Browny, John Rich and Ash Coveney. All sound lads.

Joiners arms is a decent pub as well.

Chris plays for the 1sts and John is still the main man from what I can tell.

Seems to be loads of age groups there now.

Seemed absolutely stowed off up the joiners this afternoon when I was coming home.

Aye, I’m even more confused now!

Definitely going to have a drive up Willington way though, the feedback is positive overall for Parkside. I’ll be looking to join a cricket club too, looks like Willington have a nice set up.

6 quid for the bus to the match and back from willington ;)

Last edited:
After twenty years of being away from ol’ Durham Town looks like I’m heading home.

I still visit my folks there so still feel in touch with how it’s changed, I’m wondering how people find the surrounding villages these days though - it’s ridiculous how much more house you get for your money. I know there’ll be detractors, but what are places like Langley Moor, Meadowfield, Bearpark like to live in these days? Also drawn to Willington, love Weardale and looks like lots of decent new housing up that way.

Cheers!
People say that moving to a country village or the seaside is the aim in old age. But as you get older and maybe more reliant on services, eg gp then you should look to move to the city where these things are more accessible ( thinking perhaps of no longer being a car driver etc). Just a thought.

Quarrington Hill is the place to be. Lovely countryside walks and cycle tracks. Surrounded by Bowburn, Coxhoe, Cassop and Kelloe what more could you need. Also only 6 miles to Durham Town centre.

After twenty years of being away from ol’ Durham Town looks like I’m heading home.

I still visit my folks there so still feel in touch with how it’s changed, I’m wondering how people find the surrounding villages these days though - it’s ridiculous how much more house you get for your money. I know there’ll be detractors, but what are places like Langley Moor, Meadowfield, Bearpark like to live in these days? Also drawn to Willington, love Weardale and looks like lots of decent new housing up that way.

Cheers!
I live at Langley Moor, which is decent and not too expensive. 2 miles to the city centre, good primary school, in catchment for Durham Johnston school, has shops, a tesco and Lidl. Only problem is the traffic is a bitch on a morning getting into Durham.

I live at Langley Moor, which is decent and not too expensive. 2 miles to the city centre, good primary school, in catchment for Durham Johnston school, has shops, a tesco and Lidl. Only problem is the traffic is a bitch on a morning getting into Durham.
My Dad was saying how the traffic is bad now coming in from the Stonebridge way - how long does it take and where does it back up from?

My Dad was saying how the traffic is bad now coming in from the Stonebridge way - how long does it take and where does it back up from?
It depends on the day, fridays are usually better, backs up to the shops in Langley Moor. Some days I work in Durham and takes me 35 mins to get to the office, other days 20. The days I work in Consett, I'm there in 30 mins!

Nice house for sale at Langley moor atm but not the greatest location. Behind the Salvation Army

Back