Moving back to Durham - City or surroundings villages?

Born and raised in Willington but live abroad now.

It's not as much of a shithole as it used to be as there's the new estate down by the cricket field/old carpet factory and the houses where the spectrum leisure centre is. Still it wouldn't be on my list to move there if I ever did go back.

Parkside school known as rough? No idea where you got that from. Was/is a decent school with some canny teachers. Changed a lot since I left 18 years ago with it now being parkside academy.

The only schools I can remember which had a bad reputation nearby were Bishop Barrington and Wolsingham. Not really sure why though.
that and deerness were always known as the rough schools 20 years ago.

After twenty years of being away from ol’ Durham Town looks like I’m heading home.

I still visit my folks there so still feel in touch with how it’s changed, I’m wondering how people find the surrounding villages these days though - it’s ridiculous how much more house you get for your money. I know there’ll be detractors, but what are places like Langley Moor, Meadowfield, Bearpark like to live in these days? Also drawn to Willington, love Weardale and looks like lots of decent new housing up that way.

Cheers!

There's good and bad in morst villages/estates - I would try and be within 20 minutes of the city as public transport isn't great to most places unless you are on a main route

that and deerness were always known as the rough schools 20 years ago.

Pissing myself laughing at that like.

Parkside wasn't and never has been rough at all.

Had a few rough kids at the school like most places but mainly it was middle class.

What do you reckon @SAFCMark ?

Last edited:
I lived in Durham City for 10 years till last Christmas. Really enjoyed it at first but it is very very studenty now and I found it becoming more and more impersonable. Still a great City mind. Moved to Sedgefield I am really enjoying village life a lot more.

There is also a place called "No Place"
And Pity Me.

Near Pity Me
Bugger. Far too late.

Whats wrong with Bearpark, only asking because a mate from work lives there in the new estate bit?

It seems decent enough like. When I split from my ex, I did seriously consider moving to Bearpark, Broompark or Newton Hall, but then I decided to stay here instead.

Romaldkirk is probably no. 1 on my list of rural villages I’d move to within an hour of home. I’m watching two properties on Rightmove in this village.

Based on the OPs initial locations, I’d say around Lanchester, Hunwick and Witton Le Wear would be good research areas.
Hannah Hauxwell's old house is for sale in Cotherstone, £75k.

Last edited:

Back