Ireland Banning Petrol and Diesel Cars

Oh people will always buy more luxurious cars mate, I mean with no need for a drivers seat and controls area the rich will have mini bars and shit in I'm sure.
The technology already exists to put a mini bar, a telly and a toastie maker in a Hyundai if one so wishes marra. How much more luxurious can a car interior can be?

Makes sense, as an island, it’s less than 500km in length which means range won’t usually be too much of a problem.

Infrastructure is the biggest barrier, but they have ten years to sort that.

Hopefully loads of incentives for the customers for purchasing vehicles and installing charging stations etc.
How do you charge it if you're in s flat?

If it happens good on them. Governments should be pressurising all vehicle manufacturers to produce electric only cars from 2030. Radical steps needed to make sure our kids have a planet fit for their kids.
They don’t need to pressure them. There is very little investment in anything but EV for future models.

The tipping point has already been reached, EVs are here to stay and will replace ICEs within 10 years.

Fine. Hopefully we do the same. In parallel do something about the cost of the vehicles as well...… doubt it though. 40K for this ffs.
Logon or register to see this image
They say cost parity will be there within 2 years. Think it will be a bit longer but it will happen.

Benefit in kind for full EV cars is dropping from 16% to 2% next tax year which is seeing a huge amount of EV orders for company cars. Looking at one myself, will drop my tax from over £300 a month to about £700 a year.

You might not think so. It’s an opinion I hold. i work in electrical design, so I see a lot of what is happening with EV charging infrastructure. I work with BMW so I see what is happening with their production facilities and the direction the automotive industry has committed to going.

Do you think car manufacturers sit around waiting for 2040 to get here before acting on the ICE sales ban? No, they make the move long before that.

If the issues around EVs re range, cost and infrastructure are resolved relatively soon, and tax incentives are there to push things along, what is to stop it happening?

Who would make the decision to buy a diesel car when you can get a more modern, technically advanced cleaner vehicle with good range that you don’t have to fill with fuel and is more tax efficient? There will be some, the over 55s for instance, but the majority will have their head around the change long before 2040.

You might not think so. It’s an opinion I hold. i work in electrical design, so I see a lot of what is happening with EV charging infrastructure. I work with BMW so I see what is happening with their production facilities and the direction the automotive industry has committed to going.

Do you think car manufacturers sit around waiting for 2040 to get here before acting on the ICE sales ban? No, they make the move long before that.

If the issues around EVs re range, cost and infrastructure are resolved relatively soon, and tax incentives are there to push things along, what is to stop it happening?

Who would make the decision to buy a diesel car when you can get a more modern, technically advanced cleaner vehicle with good range that you don’t have to fill with fuel and is more tax efficient? There will be some, the over 55s for instance, but the majority will have their head around the change long before 2040.
Car manufacturers are there to make money not save the planet. The cost of attempting to force everyone to switch to EVs over the next decade would bankrupt them all man :lol:

Car manufacturers are there to make money not save the planet. The cost of attempting to force everyone to switch to EVs over the next decade would bankrupt them all man :lol:
It’s not them forcing people to change though. Incredibly uninformed.

Every vehicle sold will have an electric motor within 10 years.

Back