Ireland Banning Petrol and Diesel Cars

If it happens good on them. Governments should be pressurising all vehicle manufacturers to produce electric only cars from 2030. Radical steps needed to make sure our kids have a planet fit for their kids.

I do 350 miles home on a Friday, round the doors Saturday, and then 350 miles back on a Sunday.
Every week... My electricity bill is going to be through the f***ing roof!

I don’t like this idea of being forced into buying a electric car. I love my cars, and have worked hard all my life to have nice ones. To be told I can only buy an electric car, nah fuck off.

Exactly. You can't force demand.

I personally think Hybrids are a more viable option longterm but it's people with alot more knowledge than me who are making the decisions so well see how it pans out.

Which is why regulation is needed to take it away from the inertia brigade. Volume then drives cost efficiency.

The technology needs to improve quite rapidly to make them affordable for the average person though surely.

Last edited:
Makes sense, as an island, it’s less than 500km in length which means range won’t usually be too much of a problem.

Infrastructure is the biggest barrier, but they have ten years to sort that.

Hopefully loads of incentives for the customers for purchasing vehicles and installing charging stations etc.

But only one motorway of note. It's a nightmare getting around Ireland.

The more electric cars on the road, the bigger the problem. I was at a supermarket and there must have been 200 cars in the car park and 3 charging points.

Now imagine all 200 were electric, and even 5% of them wanted to charge, that's 10 charging points needed.

Now imagine something like Glastonbury with loads of people driving electric cars. Every charging point in the immediate area would be backed up because so many people would have had long distance drives to make to get there and the same journey home. For a one off event like that how do you cater for it? No point having hundreds of charging points going unused for most of the year

I wonder if one day major motorways could be fitted with overhead wires or something which cars could connect to like a train?

Last edited:
I really don't think that will be the case, the current average sized batteries give you approx. 300 miles of travel.

But we shall see.... either way I'm more interested in driverless cars, that's the future :cool:
What would be the point of someone purchasing a driverless BMW that cruises at 5 under the speed limit and doesn't allow them to generally drive like a tit. The human species doesn't want it.

What would be the point of someone purchasing a driverless BMW that cruises at 5 under the speed limit and doesn't allow them to generally drive like a tit. The human species doesn't want it.
Well I'd hope the fact that robots were doing it, interconnected with each other and communicating at a faster speed than humans can imagine.

We would have far better organised traffic in city centres, getting about would be better cos all cars could anticipate the lights turning etc and move in formation as opposed to each person reacting to one another.

And I'd hope we could go over 100 mph as a robot would drive better.

Well I'd hope the fact that robots were doing it, interconnected with each other and communicating at a faster speed than humans can imagine.

We would have far better organised traffic in city centres, getting about would be better cos all cars could anticipate the lights turning etc and move in formation as opposed to each person reacting to one another.

Not to mention I'd like to think I could get a driverless car to pick me up from the pub when I've had a few!

Not to mention I'd like to think I could get a driverless car to pick me up from the pub when I've had a few!
I've got a feeling though it'll be boring as shite and we;ll have to be sober, hands on the wheel at all times or a sensor goes off and basically so f***ing pointless we just stay with what we've got.

It's not the technology that makes it unpalatable though. If you're talking about people owning vehicles that drive themselves, there's little to be gained by owning a luxury car. People with bleached arseholes and full sleeve tattoos will have to find another way to get their one-upmanship on the rest of the society. It sounds good as a mass transit system eliminating the need for taxis and buses but that's about it.

It's not the technology that makes it unpalatable though. If you're talking about people owning vehicles that drive themselves, there's little to be gained by owning a luxury car. People with bleached arseholes and full sleeve tattoos will have to find another way to get their one-upmanship on the rest of the society. It sounds good as a mass transit system eliminating the need for taxis and buses but that's about it.
Oh people will always buy more luxurious cars mate, I mean with no need for a drivers seat and controls area the rich will have mini bars and shit in I'm sure.

Back