Ireland Banning Petrol and Diesel Cars

Loads of those magic windmills.
They better start building them because they've got nowhere near enough

Windmills mate. Windmills.
I hope so because I'd get shit loads of work I Ireland but they would have to have a massive investment.

I am aware what car manufacturers are there to do. The EV market is experiencing exponential growth and legislation is in its favour, so making money is exactly what they will do in pushing forward with EV adoption. It’s happening now whether you choose to post smilies or not.

By improving, decentralising and decarbonising their supply infrastructure, the same as the UK is.
Massive investment in such a short space of time. Possible but won't happen imo. They burn peat to fuel power stations atm ffs.

Last edited:
They better start building them because they've got nowhere near enough

I hope so because I'd get shit loads of work I Ireland but they would have to have a massive investment.

Massive investment in such a short space of time. Possible but won't happen imo. They burn peat to fuel power stations atm ffs.

You seem to be quite poorly informed about power generation in Ireland.

The main operator for the Irish power grid is a company called Eirgrid. They publish live stats on their operations on their home page Www.eirgridgroup.com

If you look down that page you will see that the ROI currently generate 66% of their electricity from gas and 29% from renewables which is mostly wind power. Only 5% or less from legacy peat stations which were never a large part of production and are being run down.

The stats on that page also show that the ROI exports electricity through an interconnecter to the UK and are currently building an interconnecter to France. If you and others here think that Ireland is not a technologically advanced country then think again.

You mean waiting whilst they build your car, which is in a queue behind all those other cars being built on the same line due to the exponential growth. That’s not a waiting list.
The bit where they can only supply a very limited number amount of electric cars marra.

Well at least they're taking a stand.
Good on them. So long as the infrastructure is in place, there shouldn't be a reason why this isn't possible.
Its a good idea. Only problem is that most of them start at 25 grand... Not everyone can afford them

Fine. Hopefully we do the same. In parallel do something about the cost of the vehicles as well...… doubt it though. 40K for this ffs.
Logon or register to see this image
Agree. That's the piss take right there.

Last edited:
I wonder if they have a plan to deal with the decline of income from fuel duty in the years afterwards.

They do, it's called road user charging.
The more electric cars on the road, the bigger the problem. I was at a supermarket and there must have been 200 cars in the car park and 3 charging points.

Now imagine all 200 were electric, and even 5% of them wanted to charge, that's 10 charging points needed.

Now imagine something like Glastonbury with loads of people driving electric cars. Every charging point in the immediate area would be backed up because so many people would have had long distance drives to make to get there and the same journey home. For a one off event like that how do you cater for it? No point having hundreds of charging points going unused for most of the year

I wonder if one day major motorways could be fitted with overhead wires or something which cars could connect to like a train?

Or maybe we should just expand our rail network to match our motorways? :) Significantly better for the environment and the sanity of people. Sitting on a train reading or doing work is almost always preferable to sitting concentrating behind the wheel.

They do, it's called road user charging.

Or maybe we should just expand our rail network to match our motorways? :) Significantly better for the environment and the sanity of people. Sitting on a train reading or doing work is almost always preferable to sitting concentrating behind the wheel.

How does that work?

Back