Ireland Banning Petrol and Diesel Cars

By 2030. Bold move that like

Irish plan to ban petrol, diesel vehicles

The Irish government plans to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030, as part of a major strategy to protect the environment.

The aim is to ensure that all new cars and vans on Irish roads in 11 years' time are electric vehicles.

Most of them still use horse and cart anyway

The newer planes like the dream liner and possibly the A380 were sold as having better fuel consumption per passenger than most family cars, that is obviously dependant on the plane having full capacity.

Last edited:
Most of them still use horse and cart anyway

The newer planes like the dream liner and possibly the A380 were sold as having better fuel consumption per passenger than most family cars, that is obviously dependant on the plane having full capacity.
Aye, that article is well skewed TBF, if you had 5 people in the Mondeo you could decide it by 5 like they have with the plane.

EDIT: just reread it sorry.

The thing with planes is that the airports and surrounding areas take the brunt.

Last edited:
Aye, that article is well skewed TBF, if you had 5 people in the Mondeo you could decide it by 5 like they have with the plane.

EDIT: just reread it sorry.

The thing with planes is that the airports and surrounding areas take the brunt.

You would like to think that you realised the house you were looking to buy was on the edge of a runway though.

Car manufacturers are there to make money not save the planet. The cost of attempting to force everyone to switch to EVs over the next decade would bankrupt them all man :lol:
I am aware what car manufacturers are there to do. The EV market is experiencing exponential growth and legislation is in its favour, so making money is exactly what they will do in pushing forward with EV adoption. It’s happening now whether you choose to post smilies or not.

How is Ireland going to power these electric cars?
By improving, decentralising and decarbonising their supply infrastructure, the same as the UK is.

Last edited:
I am aware what car manufacturers are there to do. The EV market is experiencing exponential growth and legislation is in its favour, so making money is exactly what they will do in pushing forward with EV adoption. It’s happening now whether you choose to post smilies or not.
Evidence?

But only one motorway of note. It's a nightmare getting around Ireland.

When was the last time you were in Ireland? There are 6 or 7 motorways in Ireland radiating from Dublin to places like Cork, Limerick, Galway etc. Mostly built approx 15 years ago.

The more electric cars on the road, the bigger the problem. I was at a supermarket and there must have been 200 cars in the car park and 3 charging points.

Now imagine all 200 were electric, and even 5% of them wanted to charge, that's 10 charging points needed.

Now imagine something like Glastonbury with loads of people driving electric cars. Every charging point in the immediate area would be backed up because so many people would have had long distance drives to make to get there and the same journey home. For a one off event like that how do you cater for it? No point having hundreds of charging points going unused for most of the year

I wonder if one day major motorways could be fitted with overhead wires or something which cars could connect to like a train?

I imagine technology could improve to the point where cars could be charged wirelessly as they drive along the road, or sit in car parks.

Last edited:
Just like on tomorrows world :)

This technology already exists to charge phones and electric trains etc., just needs more investment and fine tuning which is usually driven by widespread adoption, which is coming down the line in the car industry.

Back