Ireland Banning Petrol and Diesel Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well maybe they can put it in place. They have time.
Why should you be negative about something we're all probably going to have to do anyway?

Electric / battery powered cars aren’t the way forward so big improvement in public transport is going to be required. That takes quite a bit of planning especially when the government gets involved.

Things like this will atleast encourage people to put the infrastructure in place. It guarantees a pay off essentially. I wouldn't be surprised if you started seeing top up charging style meters in car parks, work places etc. As a result

If you build it, more people will use it. Make it easy for people and they'll do it.

Not being able to produce enough electric cars and them also being too expensive would be a decent starting point.
As for them being too expensive, fair point and it is a contentious issue.

As for not being able to produce enough, that's right now. With the entirety of Ireland announcing this new measure it means that car companies will only focus on producing new electric cars instead of a mix trying to guess market trends. Meaning there will be enough.

I get why they've made the move, it's basically saying to people that we're going to guarantee a market exists for you with electric cars so don't fear investing in that sector. If you're thinking about putting in plug in charging points, you'll definitely have people who will use them, if you're not sure whether to switch your production to electric vehicles, you're gonna have customers for them.

It's a confidence boost for this area of the market essentially.

Public transport will never replace cars, until we develop autonomous taxis that can be summoned in seconds.
Driverless cars are the future like

Electric / battery powered cars aren’t the way forward so big improvement in public transport is going to be required. That takes quite a bit of planning especially when the government gets involved.
Why not? Electric vehicles would remove so much of our pollution from inner cities, it would improve the health of people who regularly breathe this air, it would reduce our carbon footprint significantly and it would mean anyone with a drive or connecting point starts with a full tank of fuel every morning.

If you build it, more people will use it. Make it easy for people and they'll do it.
Every proper car parking spot will have a charging point in the future, they are already putting them on the sidings for trains. They have a lock, they pop out of the ground, they are robust and incredibly easy to operate. I really don't see the problem with expanding this to cars.

Last edited:
I do t think he’s being negotiable, they’re going to have to start now to get the funding and infrastructure in place.

Don’t know how many new cars are sold in Ireland per year, plus a lot of Ireland is quite remote, it’s going to be a massive undertaking.

Great if they do.
Sorry @Keawyeds that post was an abomination. Negative not negotiable.

As for not being able to produce enough, that's right now. With the entirety of Ireland announcing this new measure it means that car companies will only focus on producing new electric cars instead of a mix trying to guess market trends. Meaning there will be enough.

I get why they've made the move, it's basically saying to people that we're going to guarantee a market exists for you with electric cars so don't fear investing in that sector. If you're thinking about putting in plug in charging points, you'll definitely have people who will use them, if you're not sure whether to switch your production to electric vehicles, you're gonna have customers for them.

Why not? Electric vehicles would remove so much of our pollution from inner cities, it would improve the health of people who regularly breathe this air, it would reduce our carbon footprint significantly and it would mean anyone with a drive or connecting point starts with a full tank of fuel every morning.

Every proper car parking spot will have a charging point in the future, they are already putting them on the sidings for trains. They have a lock, they pop out of the ground, they are robust and incredibly easy to operate. I really don't see the problem with expanding this to cars.
What about the people who park in the street and have nowhere to plug them in?

What about the people who park in the street and have nowhere to plug them in?
This is what I'm interested in. To see what Ireland's plan for this is.

The 2 main problems with electric cars is how do you get charged if you park on the street, so far the only options are a battery swapping system at the garage, which is simpler than it used to be. You don't swap the whole battery but you buy these top up batteries to plug in and then receive a refund of a smaller amount when it is returned. Alternatively you can bring part of the battery indoors to charge for in the morning.

The second problem is the the long term travel, because until batteries improve, which they are but not as fast as we'd like we still only have the solution of swapping batteries out or keeping spare heavy batteries with us if we do a journey over 300 miles.

The electric car industry could do so much more than what they are with electric vehicles. For one, the majority of them look like shit and i wonder if they do that on purpose. The new honda electric vehicle is awful. The exception maybe is the tesla. Not enough charging stations and info about pricing. I wouldnt have a clue about much an electric car would cost from new. Ive never bought a fuel car from new either but have an idea of the cost. Do you still have to lease the batteries?

Battery technology. I should have caveated my negative statement by saying that if there is a step forward in battery technology then it could be different. At the moment they are inefficient and quite bad for the environment in general with all the waste and the mining etc. Also, what are you charging them with if you’re also shutting down reliable energy generation? Could be an interesting few years ahead I think.

Here’s a lithium mine:

https://images.app.tracking code removed/Vn9LJpR382uH7UUU8

It’s not quite a green utopia - although it is out of sight to most.

There is no ideal solution, every solution has an impact.

Battery technology. I should have caveated my negative statement by saying that if there is a step forward in battery technology then it could be different. At the moment they are inefficient and quite bad for the environment in general with all the waste and the mining etc. Also, what are you charging them with if you’re also shutting down reliable energy generation? Could be an interesting few years ahead I think.

Here’s a lithium mine:

(Link removed due to ineptitude- search lithium mine in google :oops:)

Last edited:

Here’s a lithium mine:

https://images.app.tracking code removed/Vn9LJpR382uH7UUU8

There are no perfect solutions in life, but we have to try and stop burning fossil fuels.

I think it was Norway offered all manner of perks to buy electric vehicles - it was so popular they had to pull the plug - so to speak.

I know we’re only talking about new cars at the minute, but let’s look further down the line, especially at the bottom end.
In order to replace current cars, you will need a market where it’s possible to buy a used car for less than a grand which will run quite happily for several years. Otherwise you are pricing many people out of cars completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back