High blood pressure

I’m 35 and had mine checked about 6 months ago. Was averaging around the 136/85 mark but within 2 months had it down to 119/77 just by taking up running again, eating better and cutting down on the booze. Checked again this morning and it was 123/82 - pretty happy with that tbh!

Good to hear you were able to significantly reduce it!

Taking up running will be my next port of call after I lose a few more lbs however absolutely dreading it as I've never been able to run more than a mile or so without stopping! (this was when I was much younger and fitter anarl)

I took mine this afternoon....first effort 145/100, less than a minute later 123/95 (lowest reading I've had in months)...not sure I believe either of them

Good to hear you were able to significantly reduce it!

Taking up running will be my next port of call after I lose a few more lbs however absolutely dreading it as I've never been able to run more than a mile or so without stopping! (this was when I was much younger and fitter anarl)

Exercise is the biggest influencer most definitely! I used to be a keen runner and always had optimum blood pressure but let myself go during lockdown then low and behold blood pressure sharp went up. Been doing 3km runs 3 mornings a week and it’s brought it right back down. My fitness has drastically improved as a result too so honestly mate give it a go! You don’t have to go daft even 1 mile a day 3 days a week you will see a big difference!

Last edited:
Exercise is the biggest influencer most definitely! I used to be a keen runner and always had optimum blood pressure but let myself go during lockdown then low and behold blood pressure sharp went up. Been doing 3km runs 3 mornings a week and it’s brought it right back down. My fitness has drastically improved as a result too so honestly mate give it a go! You don’t have to go daft even 1 mile a day 3 days a week you will see a big difference!
Spot on, exactly the same here

I started running in may. Gone from 155 over 110 to 127 over 85 on average. It is really hard at first but I can do over 7 mile now and physically and mentally I feel much better. Still drink like fook 3 or 4 days as week as well.

I started running in may. Gone from 155 over 110 to 127 over 85 on average. It is really hard at first but I can do over 7 mile now and physically and mentally I feel much better. Still drink like fook 3 or 4 days as week as well.
Brilliant....no kidding when I was 30 I could barely run a mile I went from that to half marathons in 1.30, full marathons in under 4 hours in the space of 18 months. I was fitter than I'd ever been. My Mam dying in 2011 knocked me back a bit, then my Dad dying in 2020 pretty much stopped me from having any motivation. I've piled the beef on, my blood pressure is high....I've finally just started to get myself pulled together....I can barely run 2 miles 🤣

Brilliant....no kidding when I was 30 I could barely run a mile I went from that to half marathons in 1.30, full marathons in under 4 hours in the space of 18 months. I was fitter than I'd ever been. My Mam dying in 2011 knocked me back a bit, then my Dad dying in 2020 pretty much stopped me from having any motivation. I've piled the beef on, my blood pressure is high....I've finally just started to get myself pulled together....I can barely run 2 miles 🤣
It's been hard enough the last few years with all the shit going on, never mind losing ya dad. No wonder your motivation did the dash. I'm sure once you're back into it tho, you'll be flying again. Good luck mate

Cheers for the advice mate. Been looking at starting that Couch25k program in 4 weeks or so. Will need to invest in some decent running shoes first though as I broke my 5th Metatarsal twice in 6 months earlier this year so don't want to cause further injury to that!

Cheers for the advice mate. Been looking at starting that Couch25k program in 4 weeks or so. Will need to invest in some decent running shoes first though as I broke my 5th Metatarsal twice in 6 months earlier this year so don't want to cause further injury to that!

Do it mate! And best of luck!

Got mine down from 165-170/100 to 125-130/75 by a combination of drugs, no caffeine, better eating and more exercise. GP played around with my meds for a few months but now I'm on a repeat prescription which seems to be working so I don't have another checkin for 6 months.

i've just been for my hgv medical and failed it with high blood pressure. she did it 3 times and each time it was about 170/100. just needed it to be below 100 to pass.
when i went for my covid booster earlier on in the year the nurse noticed i never go to the doctors and asked if she could check my blood pressure. iirc it was about 150/90 and she said i should go to the gp. never bothered but bought a machine from boots that i use now and again. sometimes it's spot on and sometimes a bit high. first this morning at home it was 160/90ish so must've gone up a fair bit or the boots machine isn't too accurate.
the lass doing the medical said i need to speak to the doctors and keep a log for a couple of weeks then depending on how it is the doctors will look at either medication or whatever.
i'm quite a bit overweight, piled a load on the last few weeks as we were on holiday, lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, don't worry too much about things but it's a bit of a bummer still. licence runs out in a fortnight so unless i get it sorted can't drive the wagon.
on the plus side just been looking at cheap flights to portugal and looking forward to the match this afternoon :)

i've just been for my hgv medical and failed it with high blood pressure. she did it 3 times and each time it was about 170/100. just needed it to be below 100 to pass.
when i went for my covid booster earlier on in the year the nurse noticed i never go to the doctors and asked if she could check my blood pressure. iirc it was about 150/90 and she said i should go to the gp. never bothered but bought a machine from boots that i use now and again. sometimes it's spot on and sometimes a bit high. first this morning at home it was 160/90ish so must've gone up a fair bit or the boots machine isn't too accurate.
the lass doing the medical said i need to speak to the doctors and keep a log for a couple of weeks then depending on how it is the doctors will look at either medication or whatever.
i'm quite a bit overweight, piled a load on the last few weeks as we were on holiday, lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle, don't worry too much about things but it's a bit of a bummer still. licence runs out in a fortnight so unless i get it sorted can't drive the wagon.
on the plus side just been looking at cheap flights to portugal and looking forward to the match this afternoon :)
Assuming you're healthy / young enough to do it , your first task will be to lose weight & get fit .

That will likely improve things slightly BP wise

Also it's worth getting a 2nd monitor at home and ensuring the 2 readings are close together..... as these things can go out of calibration and give falsely low readings ( or high)

Finally there is the possibility of the doctors environment pushing up your BP a little ( white coat syndrome ). If that was the case you heart rate might be expected to be a bit higher at the docs

If all else fails- get meds

Assuming you're healthy / young enough to do it , your first task will be to lose weight & get fit .

That will likely improve things slightly BP wise

Also it's worth getting a 2nd monitor at home and ensuring the 2 readings are close together..... as these things can go out of calibration and give falsely low readings ( or high)

Finally there is the possibility of the doctors environment pushing up your BP a little ( white coat syndrome ). If that was the case you heart rate might be expected to be a bit higher at the docs

If all else fails- get meds
aye, gonna get another one tomorrow and compare. the one that mattered said no :)
anyway, off to the match now where it'll no doubt send it through the roof!

Got seen quickly at the Doctors and been given a low dose of Ramipril to start off with.
Did the meds bring your BP down out of interest?

I had my rampiril dose boosted from 2.5mg to 5mg ( BP around 145/90 on the former)

Need to start measuring again - but I'm not convinced the change has made that much difference

aye, gonna get another one tomorrow and compare. the one that mattered said no :)
anyway, off to the match now where it'll no doubt send it through the roof!
Defo take @Slim999 advice there marra. Lose some timber and get exercising.

I was on meds for roughly 3 years up until about 2 weeks ago where I got the all clear to come off them from the gp. Lost around 5 stone this year so weighing 15st 8lbs and been walking 10k steps every day to help with this. My BP over a 7 day period prior to coming off them was 133/85 which they said was spot on.

Saying that like I've been getting occasional chest pains since coming off them so may end up going back :lol:

Did the meds bring your BP down out of interest?

I had my rampiril dose boosted from 2.5mg to 5mg ( BP around 145/90 on the former)

Need to start measuring again - but I'm not convinced the change has made that much difference
The Rampiril didn’t seem to make much difference. I’m now on a combination of Perindopril and amlodipine which does seem to have helped a bit.

Back